MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bruce Dickinson solo works appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bruce Dickinson solo works appreciation
    Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 9:00am
I was surprised to notice that with so many Iron Maiden fans on board, with ratings and reviews a plenty, I'm still the only one to rate or review any of his solo albums. 

Does anybody listen to his solo stuff? 

Accident of Birth, Chemical Wedding and Tyranny of Souls are all excellent works by any standards, with the melodic Maiden side more or less apparent, but with way more heaviness and crunch, and the first three albums all have their moments of greatness despite being quite uneven as a whole. Now that I've done reviewing all Maiden studio albums I was thinking to carry on with the Bruce solo stuff, I've got to listen to the first two some more first as I'm not quite sure what to think about them yet...
<- Click on this!
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 11:04am
I only have The Chemical Wedding, which I consider a masterpiece, and obviously have been thinking of reviewing it for a long time... Unfortunately, my other reviewing commitments seem to consume most of my time, but I'll get round to doing it sooner or later!

Edited by Raff - 08 Aug 2010 at 11:05am
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 2:09pm
Chemical Wedding is really at least very close to a masterpiece, most unified of his albums with no weak tracks, if not the slightly sub-par Machine Men. The Alchemist might be my favourite Dickinson solo track. Many songs of that album are great on the Scream for Me Brazil live album, and luckily the omitted Jerusalem is to be found on The Best Of collection.

Haven't spinned Bruce in a while, there's no doubt what I'll spend my hopefully last ever full warehouse day listening to...
<- Click on this!
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 2:20pm
My favourite album of his is Accident of Birth; I also enjoy Balls to Picasso and Chemical Wedding.
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 2:25pm
^Have you heard Tyranny of Souls? That's an excellent album as well, somewhat along the lines of Accident.
<- Click on this!
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

^Have you heard Tyranny of Souls? That's an excellent album as well, somewhat along the lines of Accident.

yes, i have, I've heard all his albums, but those three I've mentioned are my favourite.
Riitasointi View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riitasointi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 7:20am
Chemical Wedding truly is masterpiece. Dark, heavy, yet melodic, filled with amazing vocal performances and lyrics... What more do you need? I personally find the more slow and mellow tracks (Gates of Urizen, Jerusalem) the best, but there really isn't a weak track on the album. I get goosebumps every time the last song Alchemist goes into the vocal line familiar from the title track. 5/5

Accident of Birth is also a very impressive album, altough it has some weaker moments like Welcome To The Pit and Taking The Queen. The best songs are amazing tho. I can't get enough of masterpieces like Omega, Accident of Birth, Darkside of Aquarius or Man of Sorrows.

Tyranny of Souls is a splendid album too. Bruce's voice is on his best on that album and the songs are good overall.

Edited by Riitasointi - 03 Aug 2011 at 7:21am
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 1:47pm
The last three are great albums. Chemical Wedding is a masterpiece, and Tyranny of Souls is almost so good as CW.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 2:09am
I have a few of his solo albums, both The Chemical Wedding and Tyranny of Souls are amazing. I also have Balls of Picasso, but I'm less fond of them one. I also have half of Alive in Studio A, which I got in a charity shop. It's missing its second disc, but it severed well enough as an introduction to his solo stuff for �1. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
IndianaJones View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IndianaJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 7:59am
Being a huge Maiden fan I just had to buy Bruce's solo work. I've got all the studio albums, but the great live album is still omitting. I have my sights on the remastered album that contains the Scream for me Brazil and the studio/club live.

The albums are all listenable, but the real gem is Chemical Wedding. I've never got too fond of Accident of Birth for some reason, I actually prefer Balls to Picasso over it. Skunkworks and Tattooed Millionare are nice little albums also, but nothing too special except the couple of masterpieces that they hold within. I liked Tyranny of Souls too very much, so I would recommend that one too.

The first three albums are quite interesting because they are different but still sound good. Not very metal throughout, but there are a lot of interestin things on them and they show that Dickinson is not all about the bombastic heavy metal music that he's associated with. Hopefully the Air Raid Siren will do yet another solo album in the years to come, so far none of them have been bad in my opinion.
Pelata View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 10:21am
Originally posted by IndianaJones IndianaJones wrote:

The albums are all listenable, but the real gem is Chemical Wedding.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Edited by Pelata - 10 Jan 2012 at 10:21am
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 12:08pm
Never tried any of it to be honest, not even a 30 second sample. 

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
monoblogist View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monoblogist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2012 at 4:52pm
I enjoy all of Bruce's solo releases, including Skunkworks!  I'm probably least impressed with Tyranny of Souls, and most impressed with Accident of Birth, to wit: http://monoblogist.blogspot.com/2012/06/bruce-dickinsons-accident-of-birth.html
http://monoblogist.blogspot.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image