MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Should I go see Wintersun?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I go see Wintersun?
    Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 10:44am
They are one of my favorite bands atm, but the bill is Wintersun / Fleshgod Apocalypse / Arsis / Starkill

I'm really only interested in Wintersun, though what I've heard of Starkill might be good too. Kind of Children Of Bodom-esque.

FA & Arsis are too extreme for my tastes, bad-ass though the guitarists might be.
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earendil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 11:01am
Yes
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 2:59pm
Well I�d be interested to hear/see the exact opposite artists from the ones you�d like to see LOL, but I guess if I came upon Wintersun by chance on a bill with other great bands, I�d go see them.

As far as gigs go where you�re only interested in the main act and maybe one of the supporting artists, I�ve been to plenty of them and I�ve discovered many great artists that way that I didn�t know. For example I once went to a Cannibal Corpse show and there was a new and Little known band who had not long ago released their debut album called Fear Factory, and damn they blew the headliners away...Headbanger
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 9:29pm
I caught that show in Philly, and it was a blast! Wintersun is fantastic live, and I dug all the openers too. Fleshgod is a damn unique live experience (they have a female opera singer with them! Shocked), Arsis has some really headbangable riffs, and I really liked Starkill's melodic guitar leads. 4 great bands, all worth experiencing live! Thumbs Up

...and (of course) I can't speak for your financial situation, but I only paid $30 for a ticket, which I don't consider bad at all. Definitely worth it!
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2013 at 1:14am
Just got back from the show.

Wintersun killed it live, just a great show. I gotta say I might put Jari Maenpaa up there in the top 10 guitarists I've seen live, and that list includes guys like Randy Rhoads, Eddie Van Halen, John Petrucci, Steve Vai, Steve Morse, Guthrie Govan, Michael Romeo, Joe Satriani, Marty Friedman, Herman Li, Yngwie Malmsteen, Jeff Loomis,.....

I couldn't hear Fleshgod at all, except for the drummer. I was right behind a hot redhead & blonde from the stage, and they had all their sound going out to the speakers on either side of the stage, with no on-stage amps. And in-ear monitors instead of having the stage volume come from monitors that were mounted on the ceiling above the stage.

So I couldn't hear them at all.

Arsis....great musicianship, I just don't like that kind of extreme metal. James Malone is a killer guitarist though.

Starkill I liked alright, somewhat of a CoB vibe

They had a local Detroit death metal band open that were pretty tight, just a bit of melo-death with a hint of prog thrown in, too. I just can't remember their name...starts with a 'C'.....
IMPF View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 7:29am

Edited by IMPF - 13 Feb 2019 at 2:44pm
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2013 at 7:56am
This is a good discussion, when you go to see a specific band, but the �bonus� bands are more than worth the headliner!

In 2010 I went to a festival which Possessed was the headliner. Yes, they killed, but the other bands were excellent too! Total Death (melodeath), Nervochaos (death), Total Mayhem (technichal death), Buceitor (alt/grind), Apokalyptic Raids (old school death/thrash, one of the best surprises in this night)...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic