MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anime for metalheads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 11:20am
Onto Bakemonogatari's sequel, Nisemonogatari.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Never made it past the fourth episode. Not sure why, it seemed pretty good. What do you think about it?
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Never made it past the fourth episode. Not sure why, it seemed pretty good. What do you think about it?
I had several, several problems with it.

I didn't know this going in, but I'm pretty sure it's the writer's take on a fan service anime. It isn't just that there is lots of fan service; it's that there are entire episodes devoted to fan service with nothing regarding the plot whatsoever. The long dialogue sequences are used for humor and fan service instead of mystery and character development. The dialogue was clever enough that I didn't get bored while watching it, but the aimlessness was frustrating. The two episodes in each arc that actually had anything to do with the plot I liked, but elsewhere it felt like the series was just a long filler episode.

Secondly, there are several things in the series that are just morally not okay. Araragi's character is lecherous, pedophilic, and incestuous. He routinely fondles Hachikuji, almost has sex with his sister after arousing her by brushing her teeth (which, along with its setup, takes up an entire episode), kisses his other sister and grabs her breasts. Then complains that their complaining about it could be heard and "taken the wrong way." There is no character development to make sense of this and seems to be utterly for the sake of cheap thrills.

I could see how the writer, as the writer of a "smart" show, was going for kind of a Tarantino-esque parody/celebration of a "low brow" style. But, in my opinion, not only was it badly executed, it just wasn't a good move to attach that concept onto a pre-existing story. It only managed to be a very skip-worthy series. You could watch the last couple of episodes in each arc and get the gist of the plot. Otherwise, it feels more like an OVA Special than an actual installment of the series.

I watched the prequel Nekomonogatari (Black) as well. There were still some bothersome remnants of Nisemonogatari's style, but it was better. There were some writing issues I had, namely that the dramatic dialogue sequences made little sense and the way they solved the problem was a bit contrived. It was mostly information relayed more effectively in Bakemonogatari anyway, but its worth watching, I suppose. There are some scenes that are very good, though its not as good as Bake. It felt like what they were trying to do with this was accomplished in the first part of Monogatari Series Second Season, Nekomonogatari (White).

Neko White was absolutely fantastic. They really stepped up their game on this one. They finally really pulled off Hanekawa's character (though the last arc of Bake did a decent job of it) and the visuals are better than ever. It's %100 worth watching. Solid character development, foreshadowing, not oversimplified yet logically coherent dialogue. 

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 12:31pm
Woah, your argumentation is very solid. Having read this, I'm actually glad I didn't watch Nisemonogatari. I'll give MSSS a go some time, though, sounds very promising. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 12:42pm
I liked MSSS a whole lot. It does build on the characters introduced in Nisemonogatari quite well, so I might watch the last two or three episodes in each arc on that one, just to become familiar with the characters. The ending movie is quite an experience too. It takes the style of the show way further and is beautifully directed, though I'd like for the ending to have been longer so that the drama could really reach its peak. But all and all, I loved this second season, and am eager to get into the next three series.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 7:37pm
I recently watched Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro from 1979. I really enjoyed it, and it's very different from your typical Hayao Miyazaki movie. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed a great deal of his films when I was young, but they more or less had a similar style to them. This early film from him however is much more fast-paced and humorous. It certainly has a slap-stick sense of humor, and I always seem to like anti-hero characters like Lupin.

I found that there was an anime series of Lupin III that aired in the late 70's/80's directed by Miyazaki. I'm thinking of giving it a try, has anyone here seen it and if so know if it's any good?

Edited by Unitron - 12 Jan 2016 at 7:37pm
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 11:49pm
^I haven't seen the series, but I do like the movie. Some of Miyazaki's stronger, better paced, more consistent writing, if not as visionary as his later films.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 8:19pm
Recently finished the first season of Mob Psycho 100, I loved it and already can't wait for the second season. It has great characters, great and quite often humorous animation, and a gripping plot. It's by the same guy who made One Punch Man, which I've only seen the first episode. I'm planning on working through the first season of One Punch Man next.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Vixen Erotica View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vixen Erotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 12:53pm
I love anime---Beavis & Butthead  are still my favorite cartoons...
moody metal maiden
Sisslith View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sisslith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 1:23am
It's been a long time since I watched anime series, but I plan on watching 'Kokkoku', 'Ito Junji: Collection' and 'Steins;Gate 0' this month.

Only the dead have seen the end of war.
Without music, life would be a mistake.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic