MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ulver Albums

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: which album do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [57.14%]
2 [28.57%]
1 [14.29%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Lynx33 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynx33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ulver Albums
    Posted: 22 Oct 2010 at 8:34am
Bergtatt is a masterpiece
Evolutionary Sleeper View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolutionary Sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 11:55am
Originally posted by Vehemency Vehemency wrote:

...except that Kveldssanger is totally acoustic folk stuff. Big smile

I'll go with Bergtatt,  now there's a magical album... Nothing wrong with the other albums either.

Magical indeed! Bergtatt for me also. I love the vocals and the folk/black metal combination on that album.

Nattens though...blech, the only Ulver album I don't really enjoy.

Sleepwalker View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepwalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2010 at 6:39am
Time to revive this one, and make it a tie. 
I have yet to get into all that Ulver has done after their "black metal trilogy", but they have an incredibly solid start of their career. 

Bergtatt I think is fantastic. I really love the combination of folk and black metal here and it prevents the album from getting repetitive at all. And the chanted vocals are brilliant as well. It's a 4,5 star album imo.

Kveldssanger I think is easily the least of these three, though it's still a good album. Acoustic or soft albums by metal bands always are interesting, but I think it lacks the dynamics that an album like Bergtatt has even though that one has a nice amount of folk on it as well. 

And then Nattens Madrigal. I really see why people would dislike this, but man, this is a masterpiece. It's probably the most fierce and raw thing that I've ever heard, yet it also has a beautiful feeling to it at times. Even though it does only have one brief acoustic part, I don't have a hard time at all sitting through the whole disc at all. It gets my vote. 

Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2010 at 8:23pm
Kveldssanger, I can't get into Nattens, and Bergtatt is good... but Kveldssanger is unique.
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 4:50am
...except that Kveldssanger is totally acoustic folk stuff. Big smile

I'll go with Bergtatt,  now there's a magical album... Nothing wrong with the other albums either.

I see that Kveldssanger is still tagged as black metal here at MMA and it would feel terrible to change it to non-metal so that we would lose a review & a few ratings. I wouldn't mind if the rating blocking of non-metal releases was removed... :-)

Edited by Vehemency - 14 Jul 2010 at 4:52am
Phonebook Eater View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phonebook Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 9:26pm
I decided to go only with their Black Metal albums. Begin!

My Album Reviews: http://audiopline.wordpress.com/
Movie Reviewing blog: http://moviepline.wordpress.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic