MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beer!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Poll Question: Which of the following beers is your favourite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [4.35%]
3 [13.04%]
1 [4.35%]
2 [8.70%]
1 [4.35%]
1 [4.35%]
1 [4.35%]
1 [4.35%]
2 [8.70%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.35%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [26.09%]
3 [13.04%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 8:43am
^
Oooh... there's some of those beers I don't recognise!Shocked  I mean, I've had Miller and Corona loads of times but I don't think I've even seen those other ones Confused. I wonder where I could get some of the less well known Canadian and American beers over here?
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 8:59am
Between Labatt's and Molson, I think that they own 80% of the Canadian market.  I'm pretty sure that I had the Rickard's Red on one of my visits to Toronto.  Since I normally drink Killian's Red, I am generally open to drinking beers called Red.
micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 9:09am
One american beer I have always liked is Leinenkugels. That and Sam Adams are the only non European beers I tend to drink. Hopefully not a beer snob.. but just think they (the European beers) taste better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Leinenkugel_Brewing_Company
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 9:15am

They actually started selling that at a booth at Tigers' games last year.  I've not had it and I am not sure if they are still selling it, but I remember my boss telling me about it being a really good beer.

micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 9:24am
I discovered the joys of Leinie's  while in the UP.  Good stuff Thumbs Up
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 9:55am
...Anyhow, here's my reviews of those beers I said I'd do yesterday...
Goliath (Pale Ale) - 5/5
Slightly light, smooth,satiny texture with reasonable froth. Direct taste of the beer is relatively sweet with an underlying bitter current. Beautiful soft malt flavour with drifting hints of toffee, dark chocolate and sweet herbage, although amazingly no extras are added to the brew. Aftertaste of soft malt flavour with toffee notes.
Wychcraft (Blonde Beer) - 4/5
Light,extremely smooth,frothy texture. Very refreshing. Direct taste of the beer consists of only very mild sweet notes through a wave of soft bitterness and strong malty flavour. Aftertaste is very malty and vaguely bitter. The aftertaste is also very short lived. The fact that there are three different hops and three different malts used in the beer explains why the beer tastes the way it does.
Alba (Tawny Brown Strong Pine Ale) - 5/5
Very light, highly frothy, silky smooth texture. Direct taste of the beer is sweet and malty with a strong blackcurrant flavour and a great taste of pine. There is a light herby undercurrent in the beer, which is probably because there is also sprigs of spruce added to the the brew. The aftertaste is very clean, no specific taste per say, but it's as if someone has washed the inside of your mouth without you noticing! Also, Pine Ale was brought to Scotland by the Vikings.
I'll do the other two later...I have to go out in a moment...Embarrassed
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 10:02am
These sound really greatThumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 10:27am
Ahh! To hell with it! I'm sure I can cram in the other two before I go. Big smile LOL
Ebulum (Elderberry Stout) - 5/5
Light, very frothy, smooth texture. Soft, short lived malty aftertaste but very fresh and clean. The direct taste of the beer consists of slight fruity undertones through soft malt flavour. Very little bitterness. Undercurrent of a strong purer alcohol taste than usual, reminiscent of vodka but smooth and soft without the harshness of such spirits. Elderberry ale was brought to Scotland by Welsh druids in th 9th century.
Fraoch (Heather Amber Ale) - 5/5
Pronounced "fru-och", Gaelic for 'heather'. Very light, highly frothy silky, smooth texture. Aftertaste is clean, herby and short lived. The direct taste of the beer is malty, peppery and herby with little to no bitterness. Very refreshing. Heather ale is an ancient Scottish brew dating back to at least 2000 BC.
micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 10:41am
damn you are making me thirsty! Especially that Alba!
Stephen View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 9:26pm
never been a big fan of beer, but I sip corona at times
i prefer Jack Daniels over everything :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 4:16pm
Had a quick half pint of Belhaven Best when I was in the pub yesterday, it's very smooth. However, when I took it to the beer garden so I could get a cigarette and some sun, an angry little wasp took an interest in the beer I had, Angry ...I was not happy. That aside, I was very happy when I found some more beers that I have not tried...Big smile these being...
William Wallace - (Ruby Ale) 4.5% vol.
Sierra Nevada - (Pale Ale) 5.6% vol.
I hope they're as good as the last ones I bought! Thumbs Up
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by FusionKing FusionKing wrote:

^
Oooh... there's some of those beers I don't recognise!Shocked  I mean, I've had Miller and Corona loads of times but I don't think I've even seen those other ones Confused. I wonder where I could get some of the less well known Canadian and American beers over here?

Lakeport is actually one of the cheapest beers in Canada, making them popular for that reason alone. LOL

It's honestly not that bad, but I'm not too picky.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Between Labatt's and Molson, I think that they own 80% of the Canadian market.  I'm pretty sure that I had the Rickard's Red on one of my visits to Toronto.  Since I normally drink Killian's Red, I am generally open to drinking beers called Red.

Oddly enough, I don't know anyone who actually drinks Labatt these days.  They might have some popular brands under different names, but I don't know the companies that well.  I know Labatt Brewery either owned or heavily sponsored the Toronto Blue Jays back in the 90s, so no doubt it was more popular then.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 4:33pm
Oh, by the way, I never thought to ask but have any of you drank Sierra Nevada?
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 5:50pm

What would expect from an Aussie. Cans are the fav not stubbies. Been drinking Carlton United Beer since I was born. My Grandfather used to give me sips when I was a little kidHeartHug( for my Grandfather not the grog) I am not a much of a drinker these days. Probaly would drink beer once a fortnight.......social occasions. Now and again at home these days it is wine when with the familySmile
Matt
Callergrim View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Callergrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 7:15pm
Unfortunateley i can't choose Duvel, a famous beer brand from Belgium. So I have chosen a similair brand called Leffe. But look at this..

Edited by Callergrim - 21 Jul 2010 at 10:27am
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 7:25pm
Duvel is wonderful - I've had it when I still lived in Italy. If I remember correctly, it can be found here in some of the fancier grocery stores, together with other Belgian beers (such as the heavenly fruit lambics).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 12:24pm
^
That beer looks amazing. Big smile I'll see if I can get one of those in Edinburgh.
Callergrim View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Callergrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 10:29am

That beer is amazing! Big smile

8,5% alcohol

Edited by Callergrim - 21 Jul 2010 at 10:30am
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 10:59am
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Oddly enough, I don't know anyone who actually drinks Labatt these days.  They might have some popular brands under different names, but I don't know the companies that well.  I know Labatt Brewery either owned or heavily sponsored the Toronto Blue Jays back in the 90s, so no doubt it was more popular then.
I know that they sell LaBatt Blue at the Tigers' games along with Budweiser.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic