MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Metallica Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Metallica Appreciation Thread
    Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 4:10pm
I thought that I had seen one of these already but a search didn't find one, so here we go.  Let us use this thread to discuss things that we like, err... appreciate about the, dare I say, "ultimate" thrash band of the 80's and 90's.  

I was probably 15 years old when I first heard them back in 1985.  I was out mowing my lawn, when my ears heard something amazing coming from my buddy/neighbor's garage.  He was blasting Ride The Lightning, and I was immediately floored by what I heard.  Back in those days, CDs and the internet didn't exist yet, so most music purchases were either of the vinyl or cassette variety.  I belonged to the Columbia House music club, but Metallica had not yet graced their pages yet.  I had to purchase a metal guitar magazine in order to find them, and than special order them via the mail.  I had never done anything like that before, but within a few short weeks I was the proud owner of Kill 'Em All and Ride The Lightning on vinyl.  And they were both well worth the purchase.  I am one of those strange people around these parts that when I like a band I tend to like everything that they have done, and Metallica is no exception for me.  I realize that albums like Re-Load and St. Anger aren't of the same quality of their previous works, but they are still albums that I enjoy listening to from time to time. 

Anyhow, I have many other stories to tell, but I thought that I would try and get this thread started with this one.  Let us know what you like and appreciate about one of the bands that put thrash music on the map. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 5:03pm
I can appreciate this experience, although I never really got into Metallica like maybe I probably should have in the earlier days. I did enjoy "...And Justice for All" ....Loved "One" and the video that MTV was playing.....For sure they inspired a lot of groups still playing today....I owned on vinyl AJFA, recorded it to metal (hehe) bias cassette for my car stereo. Back in the day that is what I loved doing....

I think around '80 is when I discovered Scorpions, I heard Lovedrive for the first time at a friends house..blew me away!! Like you I went out and bought the whole catalog by Scorpions, had to find out all I could about them...became a Scorps nut!! Most of the vinyl I own by them are Japanese and German imports because I wanted the original issue album art. I actually own 3 versions of Virgin Killers...the only album I don't own is Taken By Force...still can't find the original cover...but I have not been looking recently.

Ahhh the memories...
Good stuff.
US Festival '83 "Heavy Metal Sunday" Survivor....
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 10:43pm
Metclub member reporting in. I was six years old in 1992 when I heard some Black Album and Kill 'Em All stuff at my daycare place. My friend's big brother was a massive Metallica fan, his room was covered with posters of Metallica, Guns 'n Roses and Pamela Anderson Tongue I have no actual recollections of listening to the stuff anymore, but I do remember learning what the phrase "kill 'em all" meant and thinking "whoah, these guys are evil!" 

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I am one of those strange people around these parts that when I like a band I tend to like everything that they have done, and Metallica is no exception for me.  I realize that albums like Re-Load and St. Anger aren't of the same quality of their previous works, but they are still albums that I enjoy listening to from time to time. 

I could have written this exactly.

Off to work now, back later.
<- Click on this!
progshine View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 10:48pm
Like many other younger boys (I'm 25) I discover Metallica with Black Album back in 1999 or so.

Since then I tried to pay attention on the other albuns. And Scott, I'm just like you, I'm not fanatic for any band, the closer I get is Queen and a brazilian band called Engenheiros Do Hawaii, but when I like a band/artist I 'have' to listen everything, and I tend to like everything.

People say so many things for too little reasons, and the classic is 'everyone says is trash, should be trash'.

The one I like most is ... And Justice For All, even if we can't hear the bass (and I'm a bass player).

I do think previous works have higher quality. But I confess I prefer the Hetfield's voice from Black Album ahead.

If I have to make a top 5:
1-... And Justice For All (1988)
2-Master Of Puppets (1986)
3-Black Album (1991)
4-Death Magnetic (2008)
5-Reload (1997)

Yep, believe me, I think Death Magnetic is better than Ride The Lightning and Kill 'Em All, but hey, that's just me Approve
Testing 1...2...3..
RAY, IT'S NOT WORKING!

www.progshine.net

Your resource of Prog Rock with weekly Podcasts, reviews, interviews and many more.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 2:00am
I was introduced to Metallica through ...And Justice for All which was the latest album at that time. My brother had been listening to bands like Twisted Sister, Skagarack and Bon Jovi in the years before that and I was really hooked to those bands too, but when I first heard Metallica I was blown away. I had never heard anything that angry before in my life. It was love at first sight. I think ...and Justice for All was my second vinyl purchase after Somewhere in Time by Iron Maiden. I still own my old vinyl copy.

The first four albums ( especially Master of Puppets and ...and Justice for All) will always stand as something special to me. I remember vividly when the Black Album was released. I was really into that album for a year or so and then it started to bore me. So I guess I�m an old school Metallica fan who don�t appreciate many of the things they released after ...and Justice for All. I like Death Magnetic though.
angelmk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelmk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 4:17am
not a fan of Metallica, but i love their older stuf, Master of Puppets and and Justice for All. and some time ago i saw Metallica live in concert,  i was totaly blown away, awesome performance. that was on sonisphere festival also Megadeth, Slayer and Antrax, had concerts that day, all bands were great, and Slayer , that was bloody Big smile. the crowd got angry instantly when they  started to play  World painted blood.  moshpits, massacre, energy, a lifetime expirence.. 
www.last.fm/user/angelmk
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 11:26am
Metallica was one of the first metal bands I got into. I don't listen to them a whole lot anymore, but when I was first exploring heavy metal, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice For All, and Ride The Lightning were some of my all-time favorite albums. I absolutely loved the intensity and heaviness in the music, something I hadn't heard a whole lot of before Metallica. I started my musical journey with Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, and Iron Butterfly, so I was in complete amazement the first time I heard Master of Puppets. I still love them, and I'm glad they showed they were still worth something with Death Magnetic (which I love).
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 2:30pm
Metallica was and remains as one of my favorite bands of all time, even though I don't even listen to them on a regular basis.  They have some of my all time favorite albums in their discography (Puppets, Justice), but also a few I don't care for (Black album, St. Anger).  My first Metallica album was a beat-up CD of Master Of Puppets, which I still have.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 7:38am
I know that it's in to hate Metallica and Lars Ulrich, but I don't care - I think that "Ride the Lightning", "Master of Puppets", and "... and Justice for All" are some of the best thgrash metal albums ever. "Kill 'Em All" is an album I enjoy listening to, too, and I actuallly like "St. Anger" despite the strange production. I think that "Death Magnetic " is an excellent come-back, and I don't mind the black album. I can't stand "Load" and "Reload" though.

Metallica has played an important part in my life and is a central part of the sound track of my youth, so I'm not going to jump the anti-Metallica bandwagon.

Edited by Time Signature - 26 Jul 2010 at 4:30am
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 3:59am
I consider myself privileged to have grown up to watch Glam give way to Punk then NWoBHM, and always liked the wilder and more eccentric bands, such as Queen and Sweet, then the Pistols and the Damned, then Motorhead, AC/DC and The Scorps - then just about every NWoBHM band I ever heard!

Metallica came along, with Anthrax, Megadeth and Slayer not far behind, and left all those great bands in the dust (for a while - I've since got back into all of them, although AC/DC have always remained a favourite) - but after AJFA, I really felt that thrash had run its course and done pretty much everything it could - although maybe "Reign in Blood" was the ultimate thrash statement - or "Scum".

Metallica seemed to agree, with the Black album, which ushered in a new era of heaviness - proving that it didn't have to be fast or complicated to be bone-crushingly heavy, and I waited with bated breath to see what Load would be like.

I was completely gutted - to me, it was awful, and Re-Load worse - and, unbelievablty, St Anger the worst of the lot.

Death Magnetic was a welcome partial return to form - although it feels a little forced - and a bit late, given the invention of other bands. There's also the issue of the mastering (not the mixing - the mix is awesome, but the CD mastering is poor, and the vinyl mastering is a horrendous waste of vinyl).

Metallica's first 5 albums are astonishing, even today, and Metallica deserve their position at the top ot the metal tree, IMO, especially given the trail they blazed wide open for others - metal was a dirty word until "One" received its debut on MTV.

I'm very annoyed at their big "anti-piracy" campaign - not because I condone piracy (which I emphatically do not!), but because of the astonishing, bare-faced hipocrisy of the band.

Consider the way they started;

They stole the name - Lars is on record as using this exact term.

They used riffs and licks wholesale from other bands, mostly obscure - OK, so did Led Zep, Deep Purple et al, but, like the many acts that have successfully sued the latter, they did not give the bands credit, except in a few cases, such as Diamond Head, Blitzkrieg and Holocaust.

It was much later that they acknowledged (albeit in a roundabout way) some of their "influences", with Lar's involvement in a NWoBHM compilation that featured many of the bands they "stole" from (I put "stole" in inverted commas because every idea that Metallica took, they improved on, so to my mind, that's not really stealing - I'd just prefer it if they acknowledged the source and thanked bands like Vardis, Bleak House, Saxon et al).

The biggest hipocrisy, however, lies in their dealing with Napster - considering the way Metallica got to the position they did - by trading and copying cassette tapes, so the original artistes lost potentially thousands, so that they could use the ideas themselves and profit.

That sucks.

But Metallica's music on the first 5 albums is amazing.

I always get annoyed when I read about "sloppy playing" - compared with their peers, Metallica were so tight it was frankly unbelievable. The only real competition they had was from Megadeth in that department - although Metallica sold far more records - not for being more technically competent than Megadeth, but for writing the heavy metal music that a wider cross section of music fans actually wanted to listen to.
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 8:21am
I'm embarassed! Embarrassed I was a seriously late starter on the Metallica front, 'cause I was brought up with prog, hard rock and some glam metal. So, I wasn't even too sure who Metallica were until I was about 13. You see, thrash was never a genre that my family really knew or took to.
 I discovered them initially when watching a thing called 'The Mullet Man Show' on a then rock/metal channel called Scuzz (which used to be good until it got took over by the owners of a pop station who turned it into nu metal and emo Angry) I used to tune in each night for the show because I was a serious Ozzy Osbourne fanboy at the time (...still am, when I come to think of it! LOL) ...and there they were, Metallica!
 At first, I didn't really know what to think of them, because the first I seen of them was the video for 'One', which scared the shit out of me, so I continued with Ozzy and Motley for about a year before I got any of thier albums.
...Ironically, it was when I was in HMV buying either my second or third installment of Megadeth when I thought, maybe a little change would be nice, let's go for Metallica. So from what I had read in a multitude of rock mags, my best bet was to go for The Black Album on grounds of accessability. I took it home, thought it was great, went back to HMV, bought another one, took it home, thought that was great...
 Actually, the second one I got was Ride The Lightning, which four years later is still sounding better with every listen, my favourite songs from it were 'Creeping Death' and 'Escape', which are still favourites of mine but now 'Fight Fire With Fire' and the title track are particularly loved also.
 After that, I didn't buy any more for a while as I had taken to Anthrax and Slayer, then later the grunge scene. I got St. Anger pretty much as soon as it came out, which weirdly enough I did not dislike, although it drove everyone else I knew up the walls because I was in the habit of playing 'Frantic' and 'All Within My Hands' at stereo bursting volume if I'd had a particularly bad day. LOL 
 As for Load, I recognised that it was a very grungy sounding album by Metallica's standards and so, because I was still exploring grunge at the time I bought it...and liked it, need I say more?
 Yet again, another gap in Metallica albums occured when I began a full exploration of prog. Until I got round to prog metal, I didn't buy any metal at all. As soon as I did, I bought all of the early albums that I had missed out on, Kill 'Em All, Master Of Puppets and also ...And Justice For All. I got them in amazingly quick succession, alongside a considerable load of other classic thrash albums which had also been previously overlooked in favour of grunge and prog. It was wonderful...and still is. Smile
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 8:03pm
Metallica were the first thrash band I encountered - after I heard Fight Fire with Fire i was never the same again and systematically got one album after another. I remember going oint othe store and listening to the brand new album Master of Puppets and the metal heads were there spouting off how brilliant it was. I listened to the first 2 tracks and decided right then and there to buy it. I think I played it all night.

Best albums are

If I have to make a top 5:
1-Master Of Puppets (1986)
2-Black Album (1991)
3-Death Magnetic (2008)
4-... And Justice For All (1988)
5-Ride the Lightning

Yes thats it!

GLAM METAL!
Charcaroth View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charcaroth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 4:05am
I was big into hair metal when I was 12 years old. I was lucky enough to have a few heavier things like Maiden's "Number of the Beast" and Priest's "Sin After Sin", and Ozzy's "Bark at the Moon", but Def Leppard was my favorite band at the time. Then this girl I knew in school sold me a copy of Metallica's "...And Justice for All" because she didn't like it. I had no idea who they were or what they sounded like, and up to that point, I'd remained ignorant of the world of extreme metal, so that album served as my gateway into heavier fare. I didn't really know what to make of it at first, it seemed so alien to me, but I kept listening to it, mesmerized. It was so morose and wrathful and malcontented, and in some sense I'd never really considered that music could speak to the unhappiness and frustration we feel in life until that point.

So "Justice" was my initiation into the world of extreme metal. I've since gotten into everything from really fucked up death/black metal to doom and prog metal, but recently I've been revisiting thrash metal and listening to these bands again. "Justice" remains my favorite Metallica album, along with "Puppets". I also like the "Binge and Purge" live set a lot.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 4:40am
New member eh! Great to see you here. Hope you stick around.Thumbs Up
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Charcaroth Charcaroth wrote:

I also like the "Binge and Purge" live set a lot.

That Seattle gig is mindblowing Heart The later gigs have some horrendously boring stuff like the 20 minute solo fest from Mexico City, but that gig also has some of my favourite Metallica performances, like Creeping Death and especially Whiplash.
<- Click on this!
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 10:29am
Is there any new material coming out soon?
GLAM METAL!
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 2:58pm
I think that a lot of the Black Album-era concerts were boring. I remember seeing Metallica live back then in Copenhagen with Mercyful Fate and Suicidal Tendencies warming up. After those bands, Metallica seemed like a tired mastodon on the brink of extinction, with their long rendition of "Seek and Destroy" and all the state chatter and so on.

I caught one of their shows in Copenhagen last year, and that was much, much, much better, as they'd cut most of the pointless stage chatter and Hammett's guitar solo was shortened down to less than five minutes.... oh, and there were no "Load" or "Reload" songs which I appreciated a lot :-)
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 4:21pm
I agree that the "Live Shit" set is awesome, but it definitely suffers from a lack of variety in terms of song selection.  To make it interesting, they should have kept track of what songs were played at these recorded gigs to avoid the overlapping.  From what I've heard, Metallica does a much better job these days in varying their setlist from gig-to-gig.  And as previously mentioned, some of the solo sections are hard to sit through.

This reminds me: Anyone else get pissed off when Metallica play "Master Of Puppets"  half way through only to cut into "Enter Sandman"? Angry

Edited by Stooge - 04 Aug 2010 at 4:21pm
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 7:15pm
I discovered Metallica in the mid 90s as a teenager. Of course they were famous in Eastern Europe, after the dictatorial regimes fell everybody was exploring the new found freedom and catching up with the West, there were tons of metalheads, hippies, "depeche"-ists, etc. But I could not hear Metallica anywhere, until cable television finally arrived in my town too and they had MTV. When the first single from Load hit the screens, I was hoocked - it was "Until it Sleeps". I had no idea what their old stuff sounded like, and I had no clue about metal in general, so I liked the songs from the Load-Reload era a lot. They were excellent pieces of mainstream music of that time. When I started going out in town with the rockers and drink vodka in lousy bars, I would hear "One" or "Master Of Puppets" once in a while, and they were awesome, but since most people in the East had discovered metal because of the fall of Communism in 1989, everyone was big on the "Black Album" - the album that came out at that moment in time. Only a small elite of metalheads were really experts and had a good knowledge of 80s metal (and discs to listen to). So I only got acquainted with their thrash period in the 2000s, when I also got the habit of listening to full albums instead of only listening to the TV singles. Right now I'd rate higher the 80s albums (especially Justice and Master), but I still like Black/Load/Reload/S&M. At least I think so, I didn't listen to any Metallica in years.
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Is there any new material coming out soon?

Their tour is ending in a couple of months, so then they'll be taking a vacation (six months I think Lars said somewhere) and perhaps then they'll start going through the pre-show warm up riff tapes. So give it three years and they might have some news Wink

Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

This reminds me: Anyone else get pissed off when Metallica play "Master Of Puppets"  half way through only to cut into "Enter Sandman"? Angry

Hah, that reminds me. When they did that, at the turn of the century, I was only happy they did that. I thought the ending was boring. Hard to imagine it now, but that's really what I thought. LOL Luckily they always play it all the way through nowadays.
<- Click on this!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic