MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Live Performance Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Tuska Open Air Metal Festival, day one (Ziltoid)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tuska Open Air Metal Festival, day one (Ziltoid)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tuska Open Air Metal Festival, day one (Ziltoid)
    Posted: 03 Jul 2010 at 5:51am
Tuska Festival is the biggest Scandinavian metal festival that's been held every year since the late 90s right in the heart of Helsinki, one minute walk away from the central railway station. As the title says it's open air, so everyone living near or walking by has had the chance to hear the beautiful tunes of the likes of Cannibal Corpse and Celtic Frost blasting in the sunny summer evening. The last time I visited was 2002 when Bruce Dickinson headlined Sunday. The main attraction this time around was Mastodon headlining Saturday, but due to Bill Kelliher's health problems they had to cancel their entire European tour, and at the same time I realized, that I'd miss most of the interesting bands on Friday due to work. So no Barren Earth, Testament, Swallow the Sun or Insomnium for me, yay.

A slight compensation came right after I finally made my way into the area, when Barren Earth's guitarist Janne Perttil� came staggering by and drunkenly complimented by Bruce Dickinson Europe 2002 shirt. He was gone before I understood who it was so I didn't have the chance to tell him how much I liked their album, but he probably wouldn't have understood anyway in that state. After meeting up with a bunch of friends, they too in various states of drunkenness, and my fianc�e, it was already time for the main event: The world premiere of Devin Townsend's Ziltoid the Omnicient.

After a long series of hilarious opening videos (who or what the hell is Meatball? LOL) showcasing the unique Devin sense of humour the man with his three man backing band hit the stage. "My name is Devin f**kin Townsend! Let's f**king do this!" This event was the first time ever that he had played any of the Ziltoid stuff live (perhaps excluding Hyperdrive, which is also featured on the DTP album Addicted) and he was clearly excited and enjoying every moment. It was in a way a very faithful reproduction of the album, all the songs were played very much like the recorded versions, with the help of pre-recorded backing tracks, and most of the Ziltoid monologue parts were shown on the video screen. But there was a lot of sweet surprises as well, among which were an Eddie-like visit from Ziltoid himself, a guitar solo and insult duel between Devin and the on-screen Ziltoid (Here's Ziltoid's mighty axe), an intermission with the Ziltoid-Eddie serving coffee and Testament's Chuck Billy appearing as Planet Smasher. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Billy's definitely got one of the most massively powerful metal voices around. Two extra tracks were also played, which I didn't recognize at the moment but later learnt that they were Kingdom from the Physicist album and brilliantly closing the show was Deep Peace from Terria.

I was watching the show a few meters before the mixing booth, and the sound was most of the time very good, but sometimes the backing tracks were drowned under the band, which resulted in a loss of some vital melodies. If I hadn't heard the album it could've felt pretty thin, but luckily I was able to imagine the barely audible parts around the ones I actually heard. Despite this and the eternal curse of all Finnish summer outdoor shows, the sunlight making any light show invisible, it was a hugely enjoyable performance and a very special occasion to be a part of. I think Devin said during the show that it was the first Ziltoid show of many to come, so perhaps you'll get so see it too.

Now it's the second day, the first bands are already playing and I'm still at home. Should leave perhaps...
<- Click on this!
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 2:17am
There went my first "Report post" report. Big smile
Metalbaswee View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metalbaswee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 2:49am
Post deleted. User blocked =) And thanks for waking me up! LOL

Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 3:52am
Is there some sort of a loud alarm system with blinking lights when someone uses the report post system? LOL

By the way, the spammer also posted in some other gig review threads too!

On topic, this festival review was a nice read even if I'm not a fan. :-)

Edited by Vehemency - 24 Aug 2010 at 3:53am
Metalbaswee View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metalbaswee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 4:14am
Well, my cell starts playing Ghost Of Perdition when i have email LOL

I'll look into the other threads to.

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 4:52am

Damn I missed the action. An intruder.

Great concert review Pekka, would have loved to the the Ziltoid show. I saw SYL on the tour supporting The New Black. Devin is quite the presence on stage. Not only is he a genious composer but he is a genious performer too. it�s really rare to see someone with that much charisma.
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 9:46am
Thanks Smile Too bad I never reviewed the Saturday and Sunday shows when I still had fresh memories of them. So let's go for some quick judgements:

Saturday:

*FM2000 - An interesting combination of furious metal and old time traditional Finnish music, the Finnish version of System of a Down isn't a very bad comparison. Lots of youngsters in the audience, going crazy, dancing, moshing, something I don't seem to be so much into anymore now that I'm old and tired with my whopping 24 years Tongue Good show, but the two tricks they had got a bit tiring.

*Devin Townsend Project - Epic, massive, f**king brilliant. Perhaps the best of the year so far. I can't even begin to imagine how much I would have enjoyed it if I'd known more of his solo material from before. Stuff like Earth Day and Seventh Wave were so great on first hearing that immediately after the show I went to a record store tent and bought a couple of his older albums. Devin is a perfect combination of funny showmanship, serious music and sheer professional perfection.

I don't think I really watched any other shows that day as Mastodon cancelled. Hung out with friends mostly, with Kamelot and Nevermore blasting in the background. Didn't make the least bit of impression, the singer of the latter especially was one phlegmatic bore.

Sunday:

*W.A.S.P. - I've never listened to them apart from I Wanna Be Somebody, so my surprise was huge when they turned out to be the second, well, third best thing of the festival after the Devin shows. Great good time rock anthems, fantastic stage presence (too bad I was away taking a piss when the guitarist tumbled over during a long solo, I was told it was a funny sight and sound) and Blackie's voice was really really good. Here's a band whose albums I must get to know some day, at least the classics.

*Cannibal Corpse - A perfect 180 degrees from Devin, who did his last guitar solo on Saturday with his pants down trying to chase down his stage manager or somebody. Brutal music played by brutal guys with no wink whatsoever in their eyes. A song or two of this stuff is fine, but a 45 minute show I can't take so well. But the moshpit seemed huge and people were having a good time. Not my cup of tea in portions this large.

*Megadeth - The songs were good, the band was tight, the sound was great. But Dave Mustaine's voice was absolutely horrible. Some of the clean parts sounded really painful when he was just trying to make any kind of sound come from his throat. It did some serious damage to the songs. This combined with the fatigue of three days of metal made me leave before the set was over. Hopefully he has a chance to let his voice rest, it was really that bad.

Edited by Pekka - 24 Aug 2010 at 9:48am
<- Click on this!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 11:06am
Wow you�re dissin� Warrel Dane? That�s close to blasphemy in my book mateAngryLOL

Sounds like Cannibal Corpse haven�t changed much since I saw them the last time ( and that was in 1993 or 1994). Professional and tight playing but ultimately really boring.

Edited by UMUR - 24 Aug 2010 at 11:10am
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 11:13am
Sorry LOL  Sing he could, yes, but he could have at least attempted to look like he cared at all, now he was clearly just doing his job.
<- Click on this!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 11:14am
^LOL working 9 to 5 �hhh �hhh....
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

*Megadeth - The songs were good, the band was tight, the sound was great. But Dave Mustaine's voice was absolutely horrible. Some of the clean parts sounded really painful when he was just trying to make any kind of sound come from his throat. It did some serious damage to the songs. This combined with the fatigue of three days of metal made me leave before the set was over. Hopefully he has a chance to let his voice rest, it was really that bad.

Pretty much my thoughts when I saw Megadeth live in 2005.  I'll also add that he probably has the stiffest body language on stage of all his bandmates as well, but that's not a big negative.  If not for Mustaine's vocal performances being so inconsistent, Megadeth would be just about untouchable live.    I remember my brother used to own their Rude Awakening DVD, and his vocal problems were painfully present there as well.

Good analysis of the concert BTW! Smile
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 11:21am
Thanks Smile

And oh, was the Warrel Dane bashing bordering on blasphemy because he's a great singer or because he's Dane? Tongue
<- Click on this!
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 11:33am
Speaking of blasphemy: Cannibal Corpse boring??? AngryAngryAngry LOL
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

Thanks Smile

And oh, was the Warrel Dane bashing bordering on blasphemy because he's a great singer or because he's Dane? Tongue

Both of courseBig smile}}
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progkidjoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 8:17am
Great review Pekka - Saw the DTP earlier this year in Sydney, awesome show. They played 3 or 4 songs from Ziltoid with the Addicted! lineup, awesome stuff.

ZTO live in full would've been amazing.
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 6:05pm
Devin played Deep Peace... I would have needed a spare change of pants :)
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 11:58pm
Seems that spammers aren't that bad really, at least they made people notice this two months old thread Tongue
<- Click on this!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 1:50am
Yeah he actually served a purpose. Who would have guessed that?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic