Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I Like Grunge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 4:11pm
Thanks for the reminder guys, the thought of adding him had crossed my mind earlier but I forgot to do anything about it. He's here now, and when the brainz have done their work I've got a couple of reviews ready Smile
<- Click on this!
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 4:15pm
Done Thumbs Up

After listening to Degradation Trip a couple of times yesterday I've decided to get the double edition as soon as I run into one. There must be some gems in there. 
<- Click on this!
progshine View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 10:56pm
To be honest I never get the 'Grunge style', like you already said before, so many bands in so many different styles and influences putted on the same ground, I mean, it's quite weird.

The good thing is, they really brought some air fresh to 90's music, and to Rock itself. Like punk did back, long time ago with Progressive, for example, kicking some butts and bringing new sounds to the previous rock we all know.

And bands like Alice In Chains, Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden (just tomention the really known ones) are classics, like a Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden (I think you can understand me Smile).

For me the band that really caught my attention's Alice In Chains, profound, sad, heavy, melancholic all together. And thumbs up for Pearl Jam, for keep their music live all through this years, their last 2 albuns are really good Rock albuns (Backspacer and Pearl Jam).

Sorry if I moved out a little bit of the initial purpose Big smile

Edited by progshine - 02 Jul 2010 at 10:57pm
Testing 1...2...3..
RAY, IT'S NOT WORKING!

www.progshine.net

Your resource of Prog Rock with weekly Podcasts, reviews, interviews and many more.
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2010 at 5:13am
Backspacer actually might be my favourite Pearl Jam album, though I've only heard about a half of them properly.
<- Click on this!
progshine View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2010 at 11:40am
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

Backspacer actually might be my favourite Pearl Jam album, though I've only heard about a half of them properly.

Backspacer was a really nice surprise to me, I wasn't expecting a good record LOL

But I like, for example, Riot Act, an album most don't like, so I shouldn't be so surprised :)
Testing 1...2...3..
RAY, IT'S NOT WORKING!

www.progshine.net

Your resource of Prog Rock with weekly Podcasts, reviews, interviews and many more.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 4:56pm
I saw Alice in Chains at the Roskilde festival last weak and they were great, love their long drooning stoner sound. realy great band.

and saw Them Crooked Vultures whom have post-grunge sound with Dave Grohl on the kits realy impressive.
progshine View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by Balthamel Balthamel wrote:

I saw Alice in Chains at the Roskilde festival last weak and they were great, love their long drooning stoner sound. realy great band.

and saw Them Crooked Vultures whom have post-grunge sound with Dave Grohl on the kits realy impressive.

Here's a good discussion I think, what do you guys think about Them Crooked Vultures? I mean, I like the record, but it didn't let that 'I want more' taste. In the end I tried to listen a second time, but didn't get thru the entire album, and I really like Dave Grohl's stuff!
Testing 1...2...3..
RAY, IT'S NOT WORKING!

www.progshine.net

Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 2:10am
I don't have the album but they literly were cooking live, John Paul Jones was amazing to se live, almost touching finally he gets the spotlight he deservs, Dave Grohl was like a living avalanche on the drums he did not miss one puinch and every litle fill was godsend.

Josh Homme sang realy greate I like hes voice, calm and warm and powerfull. hes guitarplaying is also powerfull.
progshine View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 2:41am
Maybe I should give another spin for the record? Approve
Testing 1...2...3..
RAY, IT'S NOT WORKING!

www.progshine.net

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 2:58pm
I guess this is an appropriate spot to ask this.

I'm currently listening to Ten by Pearl Jam.  It's the only album I've heard of theirs.  I'm not even sure if I can remember hearing a song of theirs not on Ten (probably have though).

What are some other great songs or albums by Pearl Jam?

Edited by Stooge - 07 Jul 2010 at 2:58pm
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 3:48pm
VS is a good album.  The first 3 songs are probably the best known: Go, Animal, and Daughter.  Dissident and Elderly Woman Behind the Counter are both good songs too.  I haven't listened to it in awhile, so there are probably others, but those are the ones that I remember.
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 3:50pm
Speaking of Pearl Jam, I got to ask something too (sorry, heh!). Svarti Loghin (black metuhhl) is said to use Pearl Jam -like vocals on the newest album, here's a clip:

I'm just interested as a total outsider to grunge / Pearl Jam, that are the Pearl Jam influences how clear? It would be interesting to hear a comment from someone who is not so much into black metal like other people I've seen talking about this album. This is nothing important, just something I'm curious about, heh.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 3:52pm
Vitalogy has Spin The Black Circle, Tremor Christ, Nothingman, and Corduroy. 
I have most of the rest of their albums and there are some pretty good songs scattered throughout but I haven't listened to them in quite awhile so can't really recommend anything specific.  Binaural was pretty good, and actually I really enjoyed Backspacer when it came out.  I listened to it a number of times, but not recently.  Hmmm.. sounds like my next listen should be Backspacer.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Vehemency Vehemency wrote:

Speaking of Pearl Jam, I got to ask something too (sorry, heh!). Svarti Loghin (black metuhhl) is said to use Pearl Jam -like vocals on the newest album, here's a clip:

I'm just interested as a total outsider to grunge / Pearl Jam, that are the Pearl Jam influences how clear? It would be interesting to hear a comment from someone who is not so much into black metal like other people I've seen talking about this album. This is nothing important, just something I'm curious about, heh.

Clap a realy good song I must say, and yes it sounds like a Pearl Jam song and the singer sounds like Eddie Vedder so yes.

I like Black Metal but not all its to gloomy for me and what i have heard lacks a litle neuance, I am more of the kinde who like the more comercial black metal, symphonic and black metal crossed over to death metal,

Dimmu Borgir is rudimentary band and Puritania are on of the greatest metal songs ever.
Vreid is cool, Gorgoroth are okey, nice live, but im not huge fan
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 4:45pm
The guitar playing resembles Pearl Jam.  The clean vocals at the beginning do remind me of Eddie Vedder in early Pearl Jam.  The ones at the end reminded me more of Temple of the Dog, which was also a project that Eddie sang on.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 4:48pm
Not sure if this is the best example, but this song kind of came to mind while listening to the Svarti Loghin song.

Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 4:49pm
Thanks guys! So all the black metal fanatics talking about this album weren't wrong with the Pearl Jam connection, heh.

Edit: I'll check out that video now.

Edited by Vehemency - 07 Jul 2010 at 4:49pm
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 5:58pm
I have three Pearl Jam albums: Ten (a masterpiece), Yield (which I also like a lot), and Riot Act (somewhat disappointing). Personally, I think Ten is way better than Nevermind, but I know many people would disagree with me. 

Edited by Raff - 07 Jul 2010 at 5:58pm
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 10:25pm
I own Ten, VS, Binaural, Pearl Jam and Backspacer. Ten is quite brilliant, VS great in places but as a whole somewhat unsatisfying (Go and Rearviewmirror are my favourites). I've listened to Binaural only a couple of times and haven't really gotten anything from it, but the self titled is a really good rock album. Strong material with no big downhills or uphills. Backspacer was a massive surprise, and a positive one. Good straight ahead rocking, a couple of really beautiful songs (influenced by Eddie Vedder's soundtrack to the movie Into the Wild, I guess) and some calmer rockers, all in perfect balance on an album of perfect length. 

Ranking at the moment:

1. Backspacer
2. Ten
3. Pearl Jam
4. VS
5. Binaural
<- Click on this!
progshine View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 10:33pm
I have a lot of Pearl Jam albuns, and if you like a list (at least my list), my top5:
1-Vs (1993)
2-Ten (1991)
3-Pearl Jam (2006)
4-Riot Act (2002)
5-Backspacer (2009) [not because is the 'worst' of all 5, but because I'm getting used to it] Approve
Testing 1...2...3..
RAY, IT'S NOT WORKING!

www.progshine.net

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic