Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VICIOUS RUMORS Debut New Video

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VICIOUS RUMORS Debut New Video
    Posted: 21 Apr 2013 at 2:49am

VICIOUS RUMORS Debut New Video on Metal Injection

Available May 7th on Steamhammer/SPV

When Vicious Rumors returned from a long, strenuous and immensely successful world tour in autumn 2011, the musicians - least of all band mastermind and main songwriter Geoff Thorpe - couldn't really see themselves mustering the energy to release a new studio album in the foreseeable future. "2011 was a monster year for Vicious Rumors in the most positive sense of the word," he says, looking back at that time with surprise and some satisfaction. "We were on the road non-stop for more or less eight months, played countless club shows and performed at some of the most important festivals worldwide. The last show of the tour took place as part of the 70,000 Tons Of Metal cruise - what a finale! Then everything was over very suddenly and we started to work on our new album without so much as a break. Perhaps you can imagine how difficult that was and how much concentration we needed to do that kind of work without any loss of friction." Now the doubtlessly successful result of that big challenge is scheduled for release: Vicious Rumors are set to unleash Electric Punishment sounding more multi-faceted and creative than they have done in a long time.      

Today the band is pleased to debut the first video from Electric Punishment. The video for the song "I am the Gun" is being premiered exclusively by Metal Injection. Check it out HERE.

There definitely is no discernible loss of friction on Electric Punishment, which is again ruled by what Thorpe refers to as an "impressive double bass thunder, double guitar attacks and haunting vocals the way you only get them with this band". At the same time, the ten new songs are clearly more multi-layered and diverse than the material on its 2011 predecessor Razorback Killers. "While Razorback Killers was heavy all the way through from start to finish, the new material is more in the vein of Word Of Mouth," Thorpe explains. At the same time, the uncompromising toughness that their fans have come to expect of Vicious Rumors is present on Electric Punishment as well: the two openers 'I Am The Gun' and 'Black X List' are typical as can be of Vicious Rumors. Thorpe refers to those numbers as "classic power metal tracks which would have fitted on every one of our albums. But there's also an unusually atmospheric song called 'Eternally', an anthem to our audience entitled 'Together We Unite' and a deeply black ballad named 'Escape (From Hell)'. I'm sure that our fans will be just as surprised of the whole album as they will be of the final Kiss cover 'Strange Ways'."

Surprised and most likely thrilled, because once again the band has brought all its skills to bear and come up with a real highlight. Thorpe, vocalist Brian Allen, bassist Stephen Goodwin and drummer Larry Howe were supported by guitarist Thean Rasmussen, who returned to the Vicious Rumors fold after Razorback Killers. In addition, Thorpe & Co. invited a number of former allies to the studio as guest musicians: Brad Gillis features on 'D-Block', 'Together We Unite' and 'Eternally', Marc McGhee on 'Escape (From Hell)', and last but not least tour guitarist Bob Capka helped out at the studio with a number of rhythm guitars and a haunting solo on 'D-Block'. Thorpe: "I had a few problems with my fingers, that's why I was glad that Bob was there to help. Otherwise it probably wouldn't have been possible to stick to our tight production schedule."  

So it's done: Electric Punishment is Vicious Rumors' eleventh studio album and proves just how much of a force to be reckoned with this band continues to be. "We have permanently grown, there have been no two identical albums in our career because each album has a new, fresh approach," comments Thorpe, not without pride. "Still we've never strayed from our course - perhaps precisely for this reason. We've remained faithful to our ideals and have always been honest with our fans. I think our loyal followers value that Vicious Rumors have never jumped on any kind of bandwagon. Everything we do comes from the heart, and Electric Punishment documents that no other band on this planet sounds like Vicious Rumors. To us, that's an incentive, a challenge and a quality feature all in one. And it's something our fans can rely on when we set off on our next monster tour in spring 2013." Vicious Rumors have been scheduled to headline countless clubs and play important festivals (the Headbangers Open Air  in Germany and the Alcatraz festival in Belgium having been confirmed already) before going on to Japan and the USA. Thorpe: "We're facing big challenges again - but that sort of thing has always helped Vicious Rumors to grow!"

Tracklisting: 

CD:

1. I Am The Gun
2.  Black X List
3. Electric Punishment
4. D - Block
5. Escape ( From Hell)
6. Dime Store Prophet
7. Together We Unite
8. Eternally
9. Thirst For A Kill
Strange Ways (KISS cover version)

2LP:

Side 1

01 I Am The Gun

02 Black X List

03 Electric Punishment

Side 2

01 D-Block

02 Escape (From Hell)

03 Dime Store Prophet

Side 3

01 Together We Unite

02 Eternally

03 Thirst For A Kill

Side 4

01 Strange Ways

02 Murderball (live) (bonus track)

03 Abandoned (live) (bonus track)

"Electric Punishment" will be released through SPV / Steamhammer on April 26th in Germany, April 29th in Europe and May 7th in the US/Canada. It will be available as a jewel case version, double gatefold colored vinyl and download.

VICIOUS RUMORS live 2013

21.09. US-Indianapolis,IN - Metal Fest

28.09. US-Rochester, NY - The Montage

02.10. US-Brooklyn,NY - Saint Vitus

04.10. US-Frederick,MD - Bentz Street

05.10. US-Spartanburg,SC - Ground Zero

www.viciousrumors.com
www.spv.de

Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2013 at 4:26am
Leaning heavily towards "Priest", loving it!
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 3:39am
Good one. Follows the direction of the "new ones" from their catalogue (ie the previous two), that mix of US Power Metal, Halford Metal ala Resurrection and I would swear I hear some Eric Peterson (Testament) in the riffing (I'm talking about the albums). 

This will do nicely! :) Razorback Killers was in my top 5 two years ago. Hopefully, this one will make it as well.

Here is my favorite from Razorback Killers: Rite of Devastation

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic