MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Dream Theater wins March Metal Madness Tournament
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dream Theater wins March Metal Madness Tournament

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtguitarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dream Theater wins March Metal Madness Tournament
    Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 3:40pm
Today, Dream Theater won Loudwire's March Metal Madness tournament with their immortal album, Images and Words!  They started by beating the legendary Ronny James Dio and his album Holy Diver.  In the second round, they went on to beat Back in Black by AC/DC.  In the next round, they went on to upset the hopes of the iconic Judas Priest and their album Screaming For Vengeance.  Then, in the quarterfinals, against all odds they beat Megadeth's metal classic Rust In Peace!  Finally, they beat what is perhaps the most iconic metal album of all time, Master of Puppets by Metallica in the final round of the tournament!  It should be noted that on Facebook, Metallica has just barely under 30 million fans while Dream Theater has just over 3 million.  Quality beats quantity! 
http://loudwire.com/dream-theater-images-and-words-wins-march-metal-madness-2013/
ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 7:31pm
I voted for them every time I had the chance. Tongue For me, Images and Words was an easy pick over all the albums it went against. I would've had a tougher time if it went against classic Death or Opeth material, though.

Either way, it's great to see that DT has enough fans to win something like this! Epic! Headbanger
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 9:07pm
Slipknot beats Exodus and Pantera beats Opeth, huh?

And I don't know what's the more skewed setup: AC/DC vs. Mayhem or Iron Maiden vs. Morbid Angel.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

Today, Dream Theater won Loudwire's March Metal Madness tournament with their immortal album, Images and Words!  They started by beating the legendary Ronny James Dio and his album Holy Diver.  In the second round, they went on to beat Back in Black by AC/DC.  In the next round, they went on to upset the hopes of the iconic Judas Priest and their album Screaming For Vengeance.  Then, in the quarterfinals, against all odds they beat Megadeth's metal classic Rust In Peace!  Finally, they beat what is perhaps the most iconic metal album of all time, Master of Puppets by Metallica in the final round of the tournament!  It should be noted that on Facebook, Metallica has just barely under 30 million fans while Dream Theater has just over 3 million.  Quality beats quantity! 
http://loudwire.com/dream-theater-images-and-words-wins-march-metal-madness-2013/
ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

I think I'd choose Images and Words over Holy Diver and Screaming For Vengeance, but not in any other matchup. 

I saw Napalm Death's Facebook page advertising a match with Scum versus another album.  They're one of those bands that doesn't have 1 or 2 clear favourite album among fans, but I guess Scum is the most iconic for helping launch grindcore.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 12:56am
^That�s what happens when you almost only release high quality musicHeadbanger
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 1:13pm

Finally, they beat what is perhaps the most iconic metal album of all time, Master of Puppets by Metallica in the final round of the tournament!  It should be noted that on Facebook, Metallica has just barely under 30 million fans while Dream Theater has just over 3 million.  Quality beats quantity!

I may be the odd man out here, but I definitely do not think that Master of Puppets is not a quality album.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

Finally, they beat what is perhaps the most iconic metal album of all time, Master of Puppets by Metallica in the final round of the tournament!  It should be noted that on Facebook, Metallica has just barely under 30 million fans while Dream Theater has just over 3 million.  Quality beats quantity!

I may be the odd man out here, but I definitely do not think that Master of Puppets is not a quality album.

And how does Quality beat quantity in this case?  It's one album vs. one album.
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtguitarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

I was speaking about the fans - note how I had just said Metallica had about 30 million Facebook fans to DT's 3 million?
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 3:32pm
Probably the difference is only Dream Theater cared enough about this tournament to petition their fanbase for votes.  I, for one, had never heard of the thing until now.
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtguitarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Probably the difference is only Dream Theater cared enough about this tournament to petition their fanbase for votes.  I, for one, had never heard of the thing until now.

No, actually, both bands were notifying their fan bases daily about it - in fact, on one particular day Metallica posted twice about it, one time just a little over an hour after the other.  But Dream Theater's vote tally steadily climbed while Metallica's would jump a little every time they posted, and then stop climbing.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 3:47pm
I'm a fan of both bands, but I'd vote for Master of Puppets because that album is more important to me personally than Images and Words is.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 4:49pm

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

No, actually, both bands were notifying their fan bases daily about it - in fact, on one particular day Metallica posted twice about it, one time just a little over an hour after the other.  But Dream Theater's vote tally steadily climbed while Metallica's would jump a little every time they posted, and then stop climbing.

I meant about the tournament in general.  Apparently though, the case actually is closer to "Metallica hasn't done anything interesting in years and nobody is very interested in them anymore."  To be fair, I guess the word interesting could be applied to Lulu Dead

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 11 Apr 2013 at 4:49pm
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2013 at 7:24pm
Images And Words is my 2nd favorite album of all-time, so I agree with this finding Smile

And no, I didn't vote during the tournament.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image