Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 7:50am
^^^LOL That's a great quote. So true.

A seller came up from Seattle a couple years ago and took a look at my collection and gave me a price. I said, 'What?!" He offered me about 20% of what I thought my collection was worth and I did extensive research on prices as I've been out of the loop of the value of vinyl in the last ten years. Now I know he has to make money but the price was ridiculous. After my first emotion of being shocked I became angry and told him, "See ya latter. Thanx for stopping by."Big smile

I have no intention of selling it in the near future but I have no idea what the future holds.

I agree Mark. The price of some of the vinyl now days is crazy. One has to be wealthy. I'm happy finding a CD of an artist but now some of the CDs that had a limited number of releases are getting expensive as well. Then I'm happy with a digital D/L.

BTW, my half brother gave me about 500 records mostly from the around the early to mid 60's and includes The Beatles, The Stones and other more notable rock artists as well as some folk, some jazz(mostly John Coltrane), blues and R&B and country(he was a big Johnny Cash fan) and some Elvis.

I had a lot of fun collecting back in the day however other priorities, situations, technology and other reasons came up that I stopped collecting and have no intention of getting back into it.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 7:59am
For me it�s simply a matter of not having time to listen to my vinyls anymore with kids running around and also because my stereo with the record player is in our living room and my wife curiously enough don�t enjoy listening to Napalm Death and Anal Cunt LOL. So most of my listening is on my iPod or on CDs in my car to and from work and in the kitchen while doing the dishes. It�s too bad because I really love my vinyls and I think there�s something magical about the big sleeves, the smell and the sound. Hopefully when my kids get older I�ll have time to listen to my vinyls again.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by cannon cannon wrote:

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Speaking of Vinyl, last week we demolished a 60s Silvertone record player.  I felt like a criminal.  At least I saved the 12AX7s.

Criminal? Sacrilegious, hell ya. If I saw you doing that I would give you and your buddies "a can whoop ass."Wink

I work in an electronics recycling depot, didn't really have a choice.  Had to make it fit in a bag.
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 8:54pm

Originally posted by cannon cannon wrote:

Speaking of Vinyl, last week we demolished a 60s Silvertone record player.  I felt like a criminal.  At least I saved the 12AX7s.

Criminal? Sacrilegious, hell ya. If I saw you doing that I would give you and your buddies "a can whoop ass."Wink

I work in an electronics recycling depot, didn't really have a choice.  Had to make it fit in a bag.

Well that's a different story then. Sounds like a fun job. Cool
Coffin Joe View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coffin Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 1:17pm
I love vinyl, & I have taken the collecting thing up again. Seems like for most of us, it's an on off thing. I always go through bargain bins and lesser known second hand shops. But since the introduction of internettrading, the prices have skyrocketed. At the moment I buy most new music on vinyl - there's just a special magic about putting on a vinyl record. For me, it's the whole take-time-and-listen thing that's appealing.

Edited by Coffin Joe - 29 Jun 2011 at 1:19pm
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 11:59am
I just want MP3 files... I have no time to sit down and listen. That's why I only listen to grindcore microsongs.

Just kidding, by the way.
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earendil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 5:15pm
I especially like limited-edition vinyl.  Usually I save it for albums I really like though.
cannon View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by Coffin Joe Coffin Joe wrote:

I love vinyl, & I have taken the collecting thing up again. Seems like for most of us, it's an on off thing. I always go through bargain bins and lesser known second hand shops. But since the introduction of internettrading, the prices have skyrocketed. At the moment I buy most new music on vinyl - there's just a special magic about putting on a vinyl record. For me, it's the whole take-time-and-listen thing that's appealing.

I agree. About ten years ago or so I noticed the prices getting ridiculous. I thought the prices would of have come down with many of those rare obsure pieces of vinyl getting reissued on CD and the ease and the low price of downloading digital files. Go figure.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coffin Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 2:29am
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

I just want MP3 files... I have no time to sit down and listen. That's why I only listen to grindcore microsongs.

Just kidding, by the way.

Headbanger
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coffin Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 2:37am
Originally posted by E�rendil E�rendil wrote:

I especially like limited-edition vinyl.  Usually I save it for albums I really like though.

I'm also sucker for those Big smile I guess it taps into my collector-gene, but I try to keep it under control - something both my wife & wallet seems to appreciate. 

But if you act fast and buy the rare or limited edition, when they are released, you can usually find them around the same price as the cd (maybe a little pricier). 

Actually one of the reasons I took up collecting new music on vinyl, is I grew immensely tired of my fathers story, about how he never should have sold that Beatle/Elvis - you name it-collection. But instead of collecting the gold of his generation (yeah I do that to some extend), I collect contemporary music on vinyl. Hopefully I won't be telling the soggy story of when I sold my golden vinyl collection to my children Big smile 
Funny how my fathers collection grows more & more awesome each time he tells the story

Edited by Coffin Joe - 04 Jul 2011 at 2:39am
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 10:06am
I should have known better, but yes, Lady Gaga's albums (at least "Born This Way") are available on vinyl.  I'd pull an Entwhistle and use that one for target practice.

Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eria Tarka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 2:06am
Originally posted by E�rendil E�rendil wrote:

I agree with this.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 4:04am
For the first time in months I actually listened to some of my vinyls the other day...of course as I was building LEGO with my daugther at the same time, it wasn�t the hardest stuff in my collection we were listening to. 10cc and The Beatles, but just the fact that I was allowed to listen to some of my own music instead of being tortured by Gangnam Style for the 1000th time was very deliberating...
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 3:38pm
Ever since I moved out of my parent's house in June, I've been listening to more and more vinyl out loud.  I couldn't do that for quite a while as my mom works a night job.  A greater percentage of my music purchases lately are vinyl albums.  In fact, I'm heading to a local record store tomorrow to see if he has any Boxing Week sales.

Also, I'm looking to get a sturdy shelf for my records since the crates I currently store them in are at capacity and are an eyesore. LOL
renkls View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renkls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 6:06pm
It's good to see vinyl making a comeback. I've been collecting vinyls of most of the CDs I own, though at the moment I probably should cut back on that due to it being an expensive hobby, especially as I often seek the original releases over re-releases.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 6:21pm
I've been listening to a lot of vinyl lately (and reviewing a fair amount of it on PA and RYM Smile). Most of my purchases over the past year or so have been on the format, too - it's usually cheaper, and I've found a lot of hidden gems in boxes of rubbish at sales and flea markets. Collecting has become one of my favorite hobbies, and I'm finally starting to build up a rather sizable collection of records. Thumbs Up
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 10:11pm
I forgot to mention that for Christmas, I got a long sleeve t-shirt that says "Don't Stop The Music.  Keep Records In Rotation"  as well as "Preserve The Vinyl Record".  I can't find a good photo of it in a quick search.

Edited by Stooge - 28 Dec 2012 at 10:11pm
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 3:59pm
I finally bought my vinyl shelf!!

For the record, my records are on the bottom, and the ones above it are my brothers.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2012 at 8:28pm
Nice! And I spot some Zappa! Big smile
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 11:10pm
I just pre-ordered the purple vinyl version of "Surgical Steel" by Carcass.  It's limited to 250 copies, which I believe will make it my most scarce record.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic