Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 9:58am
If I could just put in a word here...   vinyls suck Embarrassed

Here what I think of vinyls: expensive as hell (while CDs are just expensive), inferior in terms of quality compared to modern CDs, quality decreases with every spin, requires a turntable that usually costs fortune, can't easily rip it to your PC for further convenience. The only good thing about vinyls are the cover artworks - they're way bigger.

Sorry for trying to be a spoilsport but really, I can't see a reason for buying something as impractical and expensive as vinyls, besides a sentimental attachment of some older music lovers, in which case it's understandable.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 1:55pm
I miss the days when CDs were something exotic that I had only heard about and digital files didn�t exist at all. Vinyls have a warmth and a charm to them that neither CDs nor digital files possess.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 2:58pm
^ well, I admit vinyls are ok when it comes to vintage music or just some obscure old stuff that haven't been reissued on CD. I just don't get buying contemporary music on LPs instead of CDs. As for the digital files, I think having something tangible instead of just a bunch of files downloaded from the Internet has something magical to it. I love to open the booklet even if I'm listening to the ripped FLAC version of the album. It's a part of the experience.

And well, CDs are digital too, after all. I read a very interesting article on vinyls and CDs, it's really informative:

http://marlene-d.blogspot.com/2011/12/hi-my-sweet-little-schweinehunde-today.html
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2014 at 11:21am
Oh hi old thread

I've started collecting vinyl now, because I set up a sweet rig with an 80's Rega Planar 2 turntable.  Sounds (and looks) really pretty.

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2014 at 2:13pm
Looks like a good quality turntable to me. As I said above I love vinyls.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 2:31pm
Considering I got it for free, it's pretty damn good
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I miss the days when CDs were something exotic that I had only heard about and digital files didn�t exist at all. Vinyls have a warmth and a charm to them that neither CDs nor digital files possess.

Clap
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

Here what I think of vinyls: expensive as hell (while CDs are just expensive), inferior in terms of quality compared to modern CDs, quality decreases with every spin, requires a turntable that usually costs fortune, can't easily rip it to your PC for further convenience. The only good thing about vinyls are the cover artworks - they're way bigger.

Sorry for trying to be a spoilsport but really, I can't see a reason for buying something as impractical and expensive as vinyls, besides a sentimental attachment of some older music lovers, in which case it's understandable.

I agree with some  of the things you have say and some I don't. when you say they can cost a lot yes new ones can cost a lot but not always but a lot of the time you can get a new vinyl record loads cheaper on amazon.com then you can from a record store where they cost anywhere from $20 to $50. I paid $33 for an avenged sevenfold vinyl at FYE. To say that the quality of your vinyl record decreases with every spin is so completely untrue, I have lots of old 70s 80s and even some 60s vinyls that sound as good as the day they were bought. if you take care of your records they will always sound new. Also you can make badly sounding and scratched and skipping records sound like new again by using 1500 grit or finer sand paper. I have gotten some badly scratched vinyls from thrift stores that either skipped or had lots background noise and resurfaced them with the sand paper and wiped off the dust and the sounded like new again,

Now you don't have to pay hundreds of dollars to get a good turntable. a great audio technica turntable is about $100 new or a little less used on amazon. My turntable the Pyle pro plttb2u pictured below cost me like $75.  SO you have the completely wrong idea of vinyl records

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Nice! And I spot some Zappa! Big smile

Oh, be quiet you Tongue

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 1:42pm
I'll be starting my vinyl adventure somewhat soon....I have my eyes set on the Audio Technica AT-LP60-USB...it's gotten great reviews just for being a starter model and a vinyl player in general...for the rather cheap price($149.95 on their site, cheaper elsewhere) you can't beat it!Smile

Edited by Psydye - 26 Nov 2014 at 1:42pm
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 7:32pm
To listen to my vinyl, I use a Record/CD/Cassette combo. I've actually been wanting to get just a record player that I can hook up to some big speakers. My combos's sound quality is pretty bad, the biggest reason why I don't listen to my record collection much Tongue 
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

To listen to my vinyl, I use a Record/CD/Cassette combo. I've actually been wanting to get just a record player that I can hook up to some big speakers. My combos's sound quality is pretty bad, the biggest reason why I don't listen to my record collection much Tongue 

LOL Clap

aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 7:24pm
My record player is an antique Brunswick that is designed to play records with heavier material (ex. classic big band records), so if I put say any old 70's record in there, it would shred it up. 

That's why I need a new record player. LOL

Edited by aglasshouse - 24 Jul 2015 at 10:54pm
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

There are certain kinds of record players (mighty expensive in most circumstances) that can rip your music from your vinyl on to your computer. It's really cool. Wink
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 4:10pm
There's loads of stuff getting released on vinyl in very small quantities these days. This stuff is going to be worth a fortune at some point in the future. For example, the obscure seventies bands that go for big bucks today, even though they didn't sell loads would have been pressed in far greater quantities than the 200's, 500's etc that are getting pressed by some bands now. These will be massive collectors items.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

There's loads of stuff getting released on vinyl in very small quantities these days. This stuff is going to be worth a fortune at some point in the future. For example, the obscure seventies bands that go for big bucks today, even though they didn't sell loads would have been pressed in far greater quantities than the 200's, 500's etc that are getting pressed by some bands now. These will be massive collectors items.

That's why if you're someone who enjoys collecting them, you have to look in the exact right places to get them for cheap. My collection is growing because of finding all of these cheap vinyls for $3-5.00.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

That's why if you're someone who enjoys collecting them, you have to look in the exact right places to get them for cheap. My collection is growing because of finding all of these cheap vinyls for $3-5.00.

That's certainly cheap. I assume you're talking about 2nd hand at that price?
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 5:16pm

Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

That's certainly cheap. I assume you're talking about 2nd hand at that price?
Usually they are actually in quite good shape.Of course not new and pristine but I find some great records with little to no scratches at the place I visit.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 2:35pm
The only problem i have with some of the new stuff getting released on vinyl is that as albums grew in length with the extra time available on a cd there's many albums now that are too long to fit on a single LP so they release them as doubles. In the old days a side of vinyl would typically be around 20 mins long. With some of these new releases they're too long for a single but really too short for a double so they end up having short sides where you're having to change it over after only 12 or 13 minutes. 

However, I don't know if I'm imagining this and it may be partly down to the vinyl resurgence - albums do seem to be getting shorter. I've bought a lot lately that only seem to be around the 45 min mark.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 1:25am
Classic Rock magazine recently dedicated a whole issue to vinyl. I'm definitely not a fan. It used to be a way to find the odd rare thing second hand and cheap, but not any more. It's inconvenient and unreliable soundwise if you buy second hand. My copy of Darkness Descends by Dark Angel is completely unlistenable because whoever sold it wore it out and scratched the hell out of it. I've got it on CD now. Erm, I still wouldn't sell it though, because that hand reaching out of the grave looks really cool in 12 in format...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic