Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Black Metal album(s)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 4:32am
Ash Pool = Prurient = Roman Cross = Devil's Dung = Vegas Martyrs = Cold Cave = whatnot... = Dominick Fernow. Prurient and Roman Cross being my personal favourites from his projects.

Big Branikald, as well as Forest, lover here. The first 7 or so releases (including demos) are top notch at least. Not so familiar with the later releases.

�delegger is pure Ildjarn worship but I really like it, I recently got hold of "The End of Tides" and been enjoying it.

Prevalent Resistance has possibly my favourite "musician" (also known from Circle of Ouroborus, Rahu, Vordr, Verivala, Key, Karmic Void etc. = all brilliant!) in it, so that already tells that I revere Prevalent Resistance too.

Edited by Vehemency - 02 Dec 2010 at 4:32am
7997ism View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7997ism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 5:05pm
All great bands that you have mentioned. 'Vordr - I'  is such an amazing album even though all 3 of thier full lengths are amazing but first album beats all.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 6:50pm
Check out Emperor's In the Nightside Eclipse - it's essential to the understanding of symphonic black metal. Thumbs Up
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
7997ism View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7997ism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 6:51pm
Emperor is a pretty average band imo but its good for people who are still getting into the genre
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 2:14am
Both "In the Nightside Eclipse" and "Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk" have lots of nostalgic value for me. I haven't been spinning them actively for a long time but they are certainly masterpieces, imo.
7997ism View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7997ism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 4:12pm

What do you guys think of bands like Bone Awl?

Edited by 7997ism - 07 Dec 2010 at 4:13pm
CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 8:20pm
I'm not a big black metal fan, but i enjoy it at times.

Some of my favorites are Immortal's At The Heart of Winter, I, Ansur's Warring Factions and the latter Enslaved phase.

Immortal's latest isn't half bad also.

7997ism View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7997ism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 8:23pm
Immortal is either worshipped or hated like crazy but they arent as bad or as great as some people say. The lastest album was alright though. Been loving really raw black metal latley and the punkish black metal. Theres quite a bit of nsbm bands ive been into a lot latley but that can really just be mixed in with the raw black metal.
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 3:55am
Hate to be this guy..but I personally make a distinction.

Black Metal, to me, is a fairly narrow genre of music. Basically it is the "pure" stuff.
While the progressive/folky black metal I label as, well progressive or folk metal.

I really don't like true black metal at all...in fact there are only 2 albums I actually like.

De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas by Mayhem, and Hvis Lyset Tar Oss by Burzum. The latter being my favorite.

That's pretty much it. In terms of "other" black metal I love Bergtatt, Vintersorg's early stuff (and latest), Drudkh and OM by Negura Bunget which is a brilliant album!
That's the folky stuff! As for the more progressive BM there's always Enslaved (later of course) and Deathspell Omega.

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 12 Dec 2010 at 3:57am
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
7997ism View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7997ism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 2:57am

Folk and Progressive Black Metal isn't as good as the raw bm. Bands like Azhubham Haani, Bilirubin, Ildjarn, Goatmoon, Ives, Vlad Tepes, Karmic Void, Ash Borer, Fell Voices, Roman Cross, Iskra, and Beherit are so much better then Vintersorg, Drudkh, and Negura Bunget.

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 11:45am
Primordial is a quite good band, especially their newest album "To the Nameless Dead" is worthy of attention.

Happy new year by the way Smile
7997ism View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7997ism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 4:54pm
This is a terrible band.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 4:58pm
^LOLI guess diplomacy isn�t your strong sideBig smile. Just kiddin�  of course, you have every right to think Primordial is a terrible act just as Bartosso has the right to think they are great.

^^And good New Year to you too.
7997ism View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7997ism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 4:59pm
Can't wait till new albums this year.
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 1:16pm
What albums in particular?
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 8:51am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

^LOLI guess diplomacy isn�t your strong sideBig smile. Just kiddin�  of course, you have every right to think Primordial is a terrible act just as Bartosso has the right to think they are great.

^^And good New Year to you too.

Thank you :)

As for the difference of our opinions on Primordial... I'm not a huge fan of black metal so I suggested something from, what I call, accessible black metal. This band used to be quite "true", you know ;) 
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 3:06pm
When it comes to black metal, I really have a tough time sitting through the "true" BM stuff. I really only enjoy symphonic, progressive, and avant-garde sounding black metal. Only a few of the classic old school black metal albums are something I enjoy.
The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 6:08pm
Not really a fan of Black Metal Sick, might have to check out these suggestions. Thumbs Up

7997ism View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7997ism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

When it comes to black metal, I really have a tough time sitting through the "true" BM stuff. I really only enjoy symphonic, progressive, and avant-garde sounding black metal. Only a few of the classic old school black metal albums are something I enjoy.
that sucks. youre missing out on a lot of great raw black metal. the symphonic and folk and a lot of progressive black is just over done most of the time

Edited by 7997ism - 03 Jan 2011 at 8:20pm
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by 7997ism 7997ism wrote:

Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

that sucks. youre missing out on a lot of great raw black metal. the symphonic and folk and a lot of progressive black is just over done most of the time

I'm not missing out on it - I've heard most of it and haven't been impressed. Wink

And I agree - most symphonic black metal is way overdone, but I do enjoy bands like Emperor tremendously. Of course, if you have an old school BM suggestion that I haven't heard and think I might enjoy, I'd be willing to check it out. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic