Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drum Instructional Material

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drum Instructional Material
    Posted: 25 May 2010 at 4:47pm
I posted the same question on ProgArchives: Can anyone recommend some good instructional material for a beginner/intermediate level drummer (books, dvds, etc) ?  Preferably material that focuses on the playing aspect as opposed to how a kit is set up.  I already own the Drums For Dummies cd/book set and "The Complete Drumset Rudiments" book/cd by Peter Magadini.

Bonus points if you can link to some useful videos. Smile

Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 4:59pm
Probably not exactly beginner material but intermediate maybe, I've got lots of inspiration from Mike Johnston's videos over YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/drumteacher76). His older videos most precisely, because I haven't followed what he's been doing lately. In case you know rudiments to some extent (which I believe you do since you own that book / cd) there's lots of very simple rudiment stuff in his videos but he applies them so well to the whole kit that it sounds great. I've got many ideas from him, a simple rudiment can be made sound so bad-ass, be it a groovy beat or just a lick.

So, this wasn't really a book / dvd recommendation but I do think his stuff is worth checking out.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Vehemency Vehemency wrote:

Probably not exactly beginner material but intermediate maybe, I've got lots of inspiration from Mike Johnston's videos over YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/drumteacher76). His older videos most precisely, because I haven't followed what he's been doing lately. In case you know rudiments to some extent (which I believe you do since you own that book / cd) there's lots of very simple rudiment stuff in his videos but he applies them so well to the whole kit that it sounds great. I've got many ideas from him, a simple rudiment can be made sound so bad-ass, be it a groovy beat or just a lick.

So, this wasn't really a book / dvd recommendation but I do think his stuff is worth checking out.

Thanks.  Checking it out right now. Smile
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 2:06am
I started to check out some beats from Larry Finn's book called Beyond the Backbeat: From rock & funk to jazz & latin, but just as I got under way, my headphones broke Disapprove I haven't been able to muster up any motivation since I got a new pair, but I'll be sure to do it some day. There's some killer beats in there I'd love to learn.

I consider myself a beginner to intermediate drummer, so maybe this could be something for you too. I also borrowed a book about the jazz drumset basics, but haven't touched that yet.
<- Click on this!
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 9:35am
I'll look into that book, Pekka.  I haven't picked up too many instructional books lately, and I had to put my kit away in December to make room for our Christmas decorations, so I just set it back up this week.  As I'm using a pretty basic electronic drum kit, I'll need to make some upgrades to the components of the kit to expand how I can use it.  For instance, the snare pad it came with is a single-zone pad, meaning I can't do any cross-sticking on it.  That will be something I'd look to change for sure as getting an acoustic kit is unrealistic for me at this time.  My best bet is either to customize and upgrade components, or wait a bit longer and trade up to get a more responsive kit.  I could still use the practice though Embarrassed.

Some books I've since acquired with regards to drumming:
- Groove Essentials by Tommy Igoe (http://www.amazon.com/Groove-Essentials-Play-Along-Complete-Encyclopedia/dp/1423406788/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327159688&sr=1-1).  It's a fun play-along book/DVD/MP3 set taking the user through different styles and grooves.
- Beyond Bop Drumming by John Riley (http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Drumming-Manhattan-Music-Publications/dp/1576236099/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327159916&sr=1-1).  I found this one in the 50% off bin at a local music store.  Obvious from the title, it is strictly limited to jazz.  I haven't actually been through any of the exercises yet, but have got plenty of enjoyment already digging through his drummer/album recommendations in the back of the book.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic