MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Live Performance Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alice Cooper at the Silverdome 2007

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alice Cooper at the Silverdome 2007
    Posted: 23 May 2010 at 4:57am

Alice Cooper at the Silverdome, Australia 2007 - Psycho Drama Tour

(photos by me with my phoneBig smile)

Alice Cooper visited Australia in 2007 and played in Launceston at the Silverdome to a fair sized crowd of a few thousand for the small region. He brought with him the stage show that he is famous for. It was the �Psycho Drama Tour 2007� and the band was indeed a very cool bunch of guys that wore black and played some aggressive metal, revamping all the classic Cooper tracks making them heavier. Cooper�s voice was excellent, and he belted one amazing song after another. The merchandise consisted of his latest CDs at the time, �Brutal Planet� �The Best Of�, �Legends� box set, and �Dragontown� and �Dirty Diamonds� CDs plus the �Beast of Alice Cooper� DVD. But I had them all so was disappointed there were none of the classics there that I did not have. The T Shirts looked cool but atrociously overpriced. There were no tour booklets! � Not a great start.

The set list was terrific encompassing all the legendary songs of Cooper�s prolific repertoire. (I wrote them all down when I got home so I would not forget). It began with the killer opening number �It�s Hot Tonight� and the crowd made a bee line for the stage. Rather it was a stampede. I had lousy seats at the back of the hall, and I had to part with $80 to get here so I made an executive decision to join the stampede. I found myself bang in front of the stage on the side but it was an awesome view and I could even see Cooper�s garb consisting of skulls up the pant legs and leather jacket. He looked fantastic and was agile for a man in his 60s prouncing around the stage as if he owned it, and he did.

The next few songs got the crowd into the spirit; �No More Mr Nice Guy�, �Woman of Mass Destruction�, �Raped and Freezin�, and �I�m 18�. The crowd sung loudly all the songs they knew. He brought out a crutch in this last song and waved it menacingly at the enthusiastic crowd. I could almost reach out and touch it and we all tried to do that but he cheekily kept pulling it back with a �no, no, no� look in his black mascara eyes. Next song was �Be My Lover�, then my fave from �The Last Temptation�, �Lost in America�, a classic. �Muscle of Love� and �Under My Wheels� followed to an enthusiastic applause. Then he launched into �Feed My Frankenstein�, that we all yelled back at him. I remember in this song him leering out at us and we just pointed our fingers at him and yelled �Feeed MYYYYYYYYY Frankenstein, hungry for blood and it�s feeding time, Woahohoh yeah yeah yeah...� it was a memorable moment.

He had the crowd in the palm of his hand by now and the ear blistering metal from Psycho Drama band was really killer stuff. He was more metal than I remembered him with this band line up. They looked cool too, playing off to the crowd, leaning their guitars out to us who feebly tried to touch them, and they played some great lead breaks. �Welcome To My Nightmare� was next, a bonafide classic and we all knew the lyrics and let him know it. He seemed to enjoy our enthusiasm and played off it even stopping to hear us sing verses. There was a spider web behind him with a large black widow in it and I hoped he would sing �Black Widow�, my fave from that album. Alas, Alice did not sing it.

He did do some quintessential hits though such as the next batch, �Dead babies�, complete with a baby doll on a spear, �Cold Ethyl� where he bashed the living suitcase out of a rag doll, and this was followed by the brilliant �Only Women Bleed�. On this song he was suddenly confronted by an angry ballet dancer who danced beautifully in a mesmirising way. He feigned slapping her around and she was sad and he looked sorry � a nice theatrical performance by the two and typical of previous shows I had seen on DVD.

Next was the dark part of the set, the songs were a lot darker in lyrics and atmosphere including, �I love the Dead� where he is lead to the guillotine to be beheaded and his head is chopped onto a basket. Weird how he did that but there was a blackout giving him time to replace his own head with a fake one. He then belted out �Devil�s Food�, �Steven� and �Ballad of Dwight Fry� but he did not wear his customary straight jacket.

Next he disappeared for a while and the band cranked out a killer riff, and there was a great drum solo. It was amazing because at the end of the solo the drummer threw his drumstick out to the crowd. I saw it come towards me and never thought for a moment I would get it. But all these hands went up and the drumstick fell between us. I got on my knees and there it was! I grabbed it quickly without thinking and stuffed it up my shirt. I arose and pretended I did not have it, but I could feel it digging into my ribs. I could not believe it. I checked it out later and it had a signature of Eric Singer engraved on it, but he was not playing at the concert I attended. Ah well it made a nice keepsake.

The next song was like an encore as Alice turned up in a leather cowboy hat singing �Killer�. Then the riff crunched out from �Billion Dollar Babies� where he threw a lot of fake billion dollar notes out. I could not get any but I had my drumstick so I wasn�t perturbed.

Next he sung �School�s Out� and we all were jumping in the mosh pit. It was a pretty subdued mosh pit as there were lots of girls and kids and nobody was getting out of line though I got shoved by some lunatic from behind. I saw the security guard coming over and the offender disappeared. There�s always one isn�t there? The lead guitarist threw out a few picks and I could not get any but the guy beside me did. He said to me that he was a drummer and would love to take home that drumstick I had. He wanted to swap the pick for it but I kept telling him I would not swap until he gave up. He looked really annoyed. I hoped he would not try and steal it from me later. He did not but I did not give him the chance as I bolted out to the car after it was over � the things that go on at rock concerts!

Back to the concert. There was an encore and we all screamed out �Alice! Alice! Alice!� till our throats were raw. He came out with his gothic band and launched into �Poison� and the crowd sung with smiles on their faces as they all loved this song and knew every lyric. I will never forget this moment. I love the way Alice looked out at us and just stood there singing back to us, a formidable presence in black. Next he did �Elected� a very early hit single and I think after this was �The Life and Death of the Party� though at this point I was losing count. �Six Hours� and �Is It My Body� ended the show to rapturous applause.

It was a terrific concert. The man was in full voice, raspy and loud, full of attitude. I think the lighting was adequate but it was not Pink Floyd. Overall, this was one of the best concerts I have attended and I would see him again if he comes my way. Love you Alice � Pioneer, Innovator, Legend!   

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - 10 Oct 2011 at 4:47am
GLAM METAL!
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 5:07am

MERCHANDISE ON SALE AT THE CONCERT
Posters sold out fast!

The curtain that drops at the beginning to reveal the stage

the expensive T shirts

a photo from the tour by a fan

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - 23 May 2010 at 5:09am
GLAM METAL!
Bondarus View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bondarus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 9:40am
Love Alice Cooper.

First album I bought was 'Beast of Alice cooper' which was a compilation of his 70's stuff.
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Bondarus Bondarus wrote:

Love Alice Cooper.

First album I bought was 'Beast of Alice cooper' which was a compilation of his 70's stuff.
Excellent - I like all his stuff on that comp. There is a DVD with those songs too worth checking out. A great artist that i cherish make no mistake.
GLAM METAL!
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 11:20am
That sounds like it was a real cool concert.  I've not had the pleasure of seeing him live, although I remember them playing one of his concerts live on MTV on Halloween night and I watched that.  He was originally from the Detroit area, but now resides in Arizona.  He works as a radio host now and one of the local stations picks it up.  I think it is a couple of evenings per week.  I've listened to it a few times, but don't normally listen to the radio so it has only been a few times.
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 8:24am
Im sure Alice will visit your area some time soon. He came back to Australia last year I think but I couldnt get to that concert. Great performer by any standards. And I cherish my drumstick that the drummer threw out and i managed to catch it...
GLAM METAL!
life93 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote life93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 10:24pm
awesome review Smile
Alice Cooper is one of my all time favorite artists, when I was a little kid his music got me into listening to entire albums instead of a few select songs. I have been very fortunate to see him 5 times in concert (along with Between the Buried and Me he's tied for the group i've seen the most times) if anyone gets a chance to see him you will get your moneys worth 10x over
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 5:03am

More photos from Alice Cooper I took at the tour I forgot to post these.

Ah yes I forgot - the setlist (I wrote this out when i got home but may have forgotten some and it aint in order either.

'It's Hot Tonite'
'No More Mr Nice Guy�
, �Woman of Mass Destruction�,
 �Raped and Freezin�,
�I�m 18�.
�Be My Lover�,
�Lost in America�,
 �Muscle of Love�
�Under My Wheels�
�Feed My Frankenstein�

'Dead babies'

�Cold Ethyl�