Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

is there some NONE PA members here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: is there some NONE PA members here
    Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 2:40pm
just curious since the only one I see here is the same folks that I chat with on PA (and all of them are great people whom i all respect and admire) Approve , but are there some here that are members who have no conection to PA , and you may come from another community also.

or this will be PA 2, and offcurse that is great but yeah this is my curiosity talking and it hungers for interesting pure metal heads Evil Smile

Edited by Balthamel - 26 Mar 2010 at 2:42pm
Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sckxyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 4:12pm
It'll be awhile before all the trve metalheads realize that this site is better than metal-archives.com Wink
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 4:17pm
yeah hard to change conservative Censored minds (or eyes)
which is not ment to sound like all metal heads are conservative (mostly this accure more in black metal ) and one other thing Ive seen in metal forum when the REAL metal heads are arguing the tones can be realy harsh, more harsh then in PA so the admins have to be allert about that issue
RuneWalsh2112 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RuneWalsh2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 5:05pm
I already invited some of my non-prog friends to check this site out, but just like you're saying conservatism is the key here. Ermm

Edited by RuneWalsh2112 - 26 Mar 2010 at 5:20pm

Wait... are those suspenders?!?
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 5:35pm
I come from a non-PA background. Just randomly came across MMA yesterday while browsing PA (I do that sometimes but I never registered or anything).

I'm such a stereotypical black metal conservationist that I won't give up with Metal Archives. ;-) I think the discography section is good there, and I think it's a great site to look for information about releases. Also, the amount of "unknown" bands is overwhelming there - and I happen to like quite obscure acts. So it's a little problem for me here to not find all the bands that I would like to write about, but after all, this is still a very young site (and I can do something for the lack of bands here that I listen to!). I like the review system & overall style of MMA, so I'm happy to contribute reviews here and see this site grow! Metal Archives surely isn't the sole source of truth, in fact, there's lots of errors in there.
micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by Balthamel Balthamel wrote:

just curious since the only one I see here is the same folks that I chat with on PA (and all of them are great people whom i all respect and admire) Approve , but are there some here that are members who have no conection to PA , and you may come from another community also.

or this will be PA 2, and offcurse that is great but yeah this is my curiosity talking and it hungers for interesting pure metal heads Evil Smile

yeah.... as much as I love our PA'rs... looking forward to seeing others join in.  Who knows... perhaps I can make RPI fans of them LOL
Bangwhistle View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bangwhistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 12:24am
I have only used PA as a very occassionla reference, and was never a member. Metal on the other hand.....happy to be here. Thanks all.
IknowSATAN View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IknowSATAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 2:54am
I don't come from PA, I just saw an advertisment about this site and wanted to see  whats with it.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 3:06am
It�ll take a long time to build a database that can match metal archives extensive artist database ( It�s not long ago that they reached an impressive 70.000 artists), but what should make MMA a much more interesting site to visit is the exposure of the reviews on the front page with album covers ( It�s always been the feature I loved most about PA) and the opportunity to become involved as a collaborator on the site. As someone mentioned we should take great care that the tone and manners of members are kept in a civilized way, just as it is on PA. That way MMA will be the same great place to visit as PA is.

Oh and don�t worry we�ll reach the 70.000 artist mark sometime in the future, it just requires that people are interested in helping out adding new artists and their albums. So to anyone not familiar with the PA concept, you shouldn�t worry if you find MMA a bit lacking right now. It�s a completely new site, but once the minor errors that always occur on new sites are dealt with, I�m sure MMA will be the place to visit for metal reviews on the web. And bios too ( Note that Metal-Archives don�t necessarily have bios for all bands in the database. Mostly for the bigger acts). Well I didn�t mean to come down on Metal-Archives. I just wanted to point out the differences and point out why MMA could be an interesting place to visit.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 9:42am
Originally posted by Sckxyss Sckxyss wrote:

It'll be awhile before all the trve metalheads realize that this site is better than metal-archives.com Wink

I honestly completely dislike metal-archives. It's got a very extensive database, but the people in the forums are complete a****les. I participated on the site for a few days, only to get criticized for my personal tastes in metal. AND the and pages don't have biographies, which isn't very helpful.

I'm confident that if we give this site a year or two, and make sure that our members are respectful people, MMA will become MUCH better than metal-archives Approve

I rest my case.

Edited by J-Man - 27 Mar 2010 at 9:46am
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 9:46am
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

I honestly completely dislike metal-archives. It's got a very extensive database, but the people in the forums are complete a****les. I participated on the site for a few days, only to get criticized for my personal tastes in metal. AND the and pages don't have biographies, which isn't very helpful.

I'm confident that if we give this site a year or two, and make sure that our members are respectful people, MMA will become MUCH better than metal-archives Approve

I rest my case.

and seconded....  give M@X his props... the man knows how to run a website.. ie...  he puts good people in charge of it to run it for him.  Not sure, since M@X is more metal than prog,  if he will taking a more hands-on approach to his site.. if he doesn't...  he'll have someone good to take care of his baby.. and first thing they'll do... is make sure the strengths of PA's become the strengths of this site.  This is the community side of it.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 9:49am
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I rest my case.

and seconded....  give M@X his props... the man knows how to run a website.. ie...  he puts good people in charge of it to run it for him.  Not sure, since M@X is more metal than prog,  if he will taking a more hands-on approach to his site.. if he doesn't...  he'll have someone good to take care of his baby.. and first thing they'll do... is make sure the strengths of PA's become the strengths of this site.  This is the community side of it.

Exactly. The reason why I've been such an active member in PA is that it's populated with a generally respectable crowd, and the administrators do a fantastic job at monitoring for trolls.
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 9:49am

I rest my case.

I have often used EM (or Metal-Archives) for reference, especially when I have to review metal bands for Progressor - which happens more often than you would believe - and have to agree with Jeff. Obviously, I've never used the forum, or even looked at it, but have no trouble whatsoever in believing that it is visited by less than respectful people.

However, if I may, let's try to avoid bashing other sites as much as we can, even when they deserve it. The last thing we want is for someone from some other site to come here and start a flame war - and let's remember how p****d off we were every time someone bashed PA on another board.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I rest my case.

I have often used EM (or Metal-Archives) for reference, especially when I have to review metal bands for Progressor - which happens more often than you would believe - and have to agree with Jeff. Obviously, I've never used the forum, or even looked at it, but have no trouble whatsoever in believing that it is visited by less than respectful people.

However, if I may, let's try to avoid bashing other sites as much as we can, even when they deserve it. The last thing we want is for someone from some other site to come here and start a flame war - and let's remember how p****d off we were every time someone bashed PA on another board.

Thumbs Up

I'll never forget that when I introduced myself to that site as an Opeth fan, people went on and on about how much they "suck" LOL That was when I knew it was time to leave.
micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 9:54am
the trick is.. to get them to come here... not to defend their site... but to come to this one and help make it better. As far as any miscreants coming here to start problems...  we'll deal with them as they come. Either a carrot.. or a .44 Navy colt at high noon LOL

on that note... let's just leave mentions of others sites not directly related to the tasks at hand alone.
Sleeper View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 10:49am
I find it quite funny that a thread for none PA members is being dominated by PA'ers, including myself.
kshskang View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshskang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 7:53pm
I was never a part of PA but my good friend Ian, an active member of PA, introduced me to this site and it's nice to be able to help this new site develop.
Harry View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 9:54pm
PA member here but I stopped posting there basically.

I am however still a regular at metalguitarist.org, ultimatemetal.com and sevenstring.org (it's virtually a metal site even if 7 string guitars are used outside metal), and I came here just looking for another site to just chat about some metal with some people
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 4:36am
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

ClapClapClapClap
StarStarStarStarStar
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 5:35am
PA member and I don't know why pple are saying they are treated badly here - i have actually made a couple of new friends over the last week.

It is sad if this genre breeds pple that are not respectable - to say Opeth is crap is plain rude. i dont say that any band is worse than another except in fun to a friend perhaps as we stir each other. nothng wtrong with that but when it gets personal its time to leave. as that doesnt do anybody any good.

I hope we can all be friends and enjoy this site as much as we do the PA.

GLAM METAL!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic