MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Girl metal - Girlschool, Kittie, Lita, etc

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 6:36pm
I saw Girlschool back in San Bernardino, CA when I was gowing up there, they opened for Scorpions on the Blackout Tour '82 summer.....They got no respect on stage.....I remember people cursing at them and other stuff....As a 17yr old I thought that pretty much sucked.
Musically I don't remember anything bad about them......They had a song playing on KMET at the time...don't remember the title though.
US Festival '83 "Heavy Metal Sunday" Survivor....
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I saw Girlschool back in San Bernardino, CA when I was gowing up there
......They had a song playing on KMET at the time...don't remember the title though.

Oh Wow! You grew up with KMET as well (Were you around for Jim Ladd's "Kmetal Shop" and
LOL "Luciferrrrr LaRooooock!" ?).  And I'm sorry youre from San Bernadino, but maybe it was a
better place to live back then Wink.
I "temporarily" live in San Bern County, and I'm trying to get in-touch with the US Airforce to see
if they can have the entire County Nuked from orbit. "...Just to be sure".

Hmm, just a thought, did you see them at the Showcase Theatre in Corona?  Seen many a Thrash
Metal show there Thumbs Up (oh wait, The Scorpions would be too BIG to play at a small Club like that).

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 09 Jul 2010 at 6:58pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 7:12pm
^ I left So Cal (actually Riverside) in '84......I was of the Paraquat Kelly, Mary Turner and of course Dr Demento time.....I saw that Scorpions show at what used to be called the Orange County Arena or something like that...indoor facility. Not sure what city it was in, I'm sure I can Bing it and find it.

KMET The Mighty Met 94.7.....was the station to listen to back then for true metal/progressive rock. I still have a bunch of the bumber stickers from KMET sponsered concerts, and i have a bunch of KLOS stickers too with RUSH and others......maybe I will snap a pciture of them and add here..Here are some KMET stickers... 

Edited by Catcher10 - 09 Jul 2010 at 7:38pm
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 7:55pm
WOW!!!!! Thats awesome!
I used to collect Bumper Stickers and I dont ever recall a "Band" sticker done by KMET!  I do have a Rush
("Hemispheres Logo") KLOS sticker somewhere, and my 1st Concert/and Concert Shirt for Kansas "Vinyl
Confessions Tour" has the KMET Logo on the back.  As a matter of fact, I have the really nice Airbrushed
Bumper Sticker that looks like a small Calif. License Plate for KWEST Fm (that REALLY makes me OLD
LOL), that station used to be the epitome of "FM" Radio and played ALOT of Prog in the late 70's!  Too bad
I didnt listen to that Station much, too young and just learning about FM.
I too grew-up with Paraquat, "The Burner" Mary Turner and was a HUGE Dr. Demento fan (especially
the really weird and "obscure" stuff).
Now Mary Turner is on KLOS and still as beautiful as ever, and Ladd (since KMET shutt off) is on there
as well and has an excellent show called "Headsets" (on Weds. late, I believe), but I really dont listen to
the radio anymore (I'm sure they have Streams of it on their Web-site).
I agree though, they used to play more Prog and Heavier music on KMET back then.

I heard my 1st "Girl Groups" (other than the great "Heart") and Singers on the "KMETal Shop", you can
read my essay How I got into Metal at this thread: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=84&PN=3
And I talk about that All Metal KMET show (1 of the 1st in the Nation) Smile.

How I wish I could move to the Bay Area . . .

Thanks for sharing the Sticker! Clap

Ha! Someone has it and in their Photobucket account!:

The Days of Licorice Pizza, Music Plus, The Warehouse Record Stores and the Federated Group (and
the Great "Fred E. Rated" Commercials!), Pacific Stereo Electronic Stores and Millers Outpost!  . . . nice memories Big smile.
Oh! . . . But Girl Groups . . . yeah, awesome Thumbs Up

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 09 Jul 2010 at 8:13pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 8:29pm
^ Yup...I have KLOS stickers too....I have I think KLOS US Festival '83 stickers somewhere too. I used to buy all my stuff at Pacific Stereo and all my OP clothes at Millers Outpost....funny!!!!
Warehouse Records.....and then from there was Tower Records..where I used to get all my import vinyl at, they had the best collection for sure.
Conor Fynes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conor Fynes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 8:20pm
I have truly never heard a girl metal band that struck interest in me..,
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 11:50am
I saw Girlschool opening for Motorhead in the early 80's.

Never heard the "Chick Metal" expression, though. FunnyLOL

I must say I had much more ears (and eyes) for The Slits (and later The Bangles)  than The Runaways, which always lacked cerdibility in my eyes.

I remember Rock Goddess a bit, but for the others.... never heard

Edited by Sean Trane - 13 Jul 2010 at 11:50am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2010 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I saw Girlschool opening for Motorhead in the early 80's.

Never heard the "Chick Metal" expression, though. FunnyLOL

I must say I had much more ears (and eyes) for The Slits (and later The Bangles)  than The Runaways, which always lacked cerdibility in my eyes.

I remember Rock Goddess a bit, but for the others.... never heard

Girlschool and Rock Goddess were sight more talented (musically) than The Bangles - and my dog is more talented than The Slits!

I am extremely keen on The Slits, nevertheless - their album Cut is a classic. Just coz they were rubbish doesn't mean they didn't rock!

The Bangles were just too saccharine for my tastes.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 8:28pm
OK posted this on PA non prog review thread but it took me ages to do so what the heck

here is my favourite Girlschool album and review

HIT AND RUN - GIRLSCHOOL

genre: NWOBHM

year: 1981

lineup:
Enid Williams (Bass, Vocals) 
Kim McAuliffe (Rhythm Guitar, Vocals)
Kelly Johnson (lead guitar, vocals)
Denise Dufort (drums)

CD version

Tracklist

1. C'mon Let's Go (3:36)
2. The Hunter (3:14)
3. (I'm Your) Victim (2:40)
4. Kick It Down (3:01)
5. Following the Crowd (3:07)
6. Tush (2:14)
7. Hit and Run (3:07)
8. Watch Your Step (3:19)
9. Back to Start (3:30)
10. Yeah Right (3:19)
11. Future Flash (4:25)
12. 1-2-3-4 Rock 'n' Roll (3:31)
13. Furniture Fire (2:58)
14. Take It All Away (3:43)
15. Midnight Ride (3:16)
16. Race With the Devil (2:49)
17. Play Dirty (5:02)
18. Emergency (2:49)
19. Breakout (Knob in The Media) (3:20)
20. Flesh and Blood (2:13)
21. Bomber (3:36)
22. Nothing to Lose (3:13)
23. Live With Me (3:18)
24. Like It Like That (3:26)

Total Time: 78:58

I have all the Girlschool releases from the 80s and I can say without reservation that �Hit and Run� was the best thing they ever did. Every song is killer metal with innovative lead breaks and wonderful singing from Enid, Kim and Kelly. This is the best material that Kelly would contribute to Girlschool before her departure from the band.

I saw a lot of these tracks played in a TV concert on a late night rock TV show and the next day I was in the record store buying the vinyl album. I had been waiting for an all girl band to kick some serious butt with distorted guitars and melodic singing; it was the ideal band in my teen years. I had grown up with the raucous legend Suzi Quatro and the less heavy The Runaways who were pioneers of girl metal. Girlschool took it to the next level with intense riffs and shout out loud choruses. Kelly was a master on guitar and her voice was sultry but defiant. It was love at first sight for me when I saw her on that mini special with leopard skin top and low slung axe around her hips. The band were in their best line up on this second album; Enid Williams was a bassist but had a turn at the softer vocals when needed; Kim McAuliffe was the rhythm guitar who sung some songs but took over later as lead vocalist when Kelly departed; Denise Dufort stayed hidden behind her drums but was a real rebel off stage; and the incomparable lead vocalist, lead guitarist, Kelly Johnson, was always at her best during these early years of the band.

The album begins with the glorious chugging guitar that sounds like a car engine starting up and then revving into high gear and then the drums pound in and we are on our way with a grinding Motorhead style riff. Kelly is extraordinary, singing with attitude and with clean female vocals that hit you like a ton of bricks; �Speeding down the motorway, Let slow life pass us by, Another mile another day, some action in our lives, We're on our way, Living for today, C'mon let's go (Let�s go!)� The chorus, as was the trademark for the band, was raucous shouting designed to rev up any crowd. There is a crunching scratchy guitar rhythm that mimics the drum patterns as the guitars continue to rev like motorcars. The second verse is pure 80s metal, aggressive and focussed on pressing the pedal to the metal; �Engines screaming red hot rage, We're gonna reach an all time high, Speed crazed racer rip my mind, 'Cause you know you're gonna hit the sky� Kelly�s vocals are divine when she tears out these rockers. Denise is drumming her heart out throughout this metal banging classic. Brilliant.

Kelly was also capable of softer vocals such as on �The Hunter� that was always a highlight on this album. It features a �Born to be Wild� style riff and tempo. The lyrics are suggestive and sultry; �Tracking her down, with a dream kind of smile, Moving up closer....but something doesn�t feel right, touching her skin... you wonder if it�s all right and how did this begin, The Hunter...� The chorus is sung in whispers with an echo. The lead break is Kelly burning it up with very bluesy lead licks and some driving bass rhythms.

Other highlights are �Following the Crowd� with a very strong drum beat and hypnotic groove. The title track is the powerful hit single with some awesome verses that stay in the head; �I was out in the cold, Alone in the night, How could I carry on? Felt so empty inside, All you gave me were promises, Nothing better than lies, Hit and run!� The single charted fairly well but they were never a singles band, though it did better than a lot of their previous singles it is fair to say.

I was always a fan of �Back to Start� which is the slowest track but it has some fabulous guitar licks and one of the best lead breaks on the album. The lyrics are more thoughtful and sung with clean vocals from Enid; �Looking forward for my future, never could refuse, trying to find my motivation... nothing left for me, all I�m able to see, is I need some time, because I made up my mind, I�m back to start�. Love the way she sings this with depth and feeling.

�Kick it Down� is a fun song that just rocks along at a moderate pace with very distorted guitars crashing keeping a driving beat. The lyrics are again about standing up to the system and people who are against you; �Tired of people telling you what to do, Kick down the door still I gotta prove to you, I got the safe on my own, but I must get off my pride, You must keep on going till you reach the other side, Tell you what I'm going to do Kick it down!� The lead break is very good again with some fret melting licks.

�Tush� is a fun rocking cover version of the classic that many bands have covered and this sounds like the ZZ Top version. 'Im Your Victim' has some good melodic metal passages. 'Watch Your Step' has a memorable chorus and very cool metal guitars in the lead breaks. There is not a bad song on this.

One of the most popular Girlschool tracks is the raucous crazy �Yeah Right� that always appeared in concert. The filmclip even featured Motorhead�s drummer appearing in ladies clothing, waving a rolling pin in the spoken section that mocks parental advice, with the standard teenage answer, and goes like this; �And don't forget, don't stop out too late again tonight... (yeah right)... I'm warning ya�...(yeah right)...And don't drink too much....(Yeah Right!)� The shout on the last part obviously means Girlschool are planning to do the opposite of the motherly advice. It is fun and has some very heavy guitars. Enid sings it very well and she is great on bass on this too. The verses basically explain the theme of rebelling against parents; �Hanging round the bar never getting very far, gonna let my sorrows drown, Leaning on the wall, 'till I start to fall, gonna get the vodka down, Better understand, gotta get it while I can, gonna have some fun tonight, I've done it all before but I still want more, gonna carry on til it's light, And they're always telling me, You can't do that, you can't do that...� This would be a running theme of Girlschool echoing the distrust and misery of their childhood years driving them to the rock scene, similar to The Runaways in many respects who also sung about leaving home despite parents pleading not to (listen to them on �Born to be Bad� for a heart wrenching look at teenage runaways). I think Girlschool just wanted to have fun and rock hard and they did it without listening to what they should or should not be doing.

The last track on the vinyl version is the brilliant �Future Flash� with a relentless guitar riff and Kelly beautifully elegant on vocals; �like a fish out of water, a scaly skin... don�t believe what they tell you, it�s only a lie, but you shouldn�t have to fight, live and let die, out to get you, they�re coming our way, out to get you!� I always loved these lyrics and I think many teens like me in the 80s, could relate to them. The lead break is scorching where Kelly performs hammer ons and speed licks to perfection. The refrain is interesting with Kelly whispering, �rock and roll rat race... they lower their voices to make us feel sad...� The ending of the song is backmasked vocals and it sounds bizarre and compelled me to play the vinyl backwards to try and hear what they are saying; and they are singing to Disney�s �The Aristocats� song; �we are Siamese if you please, We are Siamese if you don�t please.� As the ending continues with strange screaming guitars and choral harmonies there is another backmasked message. I checked it out and it�s Kelly saying, �and there�s only one thing I can say about all this and that�s bollocks!� well, I tend to disagree, Kelly, this album is far from that.

It is a lot of fun to listen to on a Friday night cranked up to 10. Every track is fantastic with some of the best girl metal I have ever heard. The Cd version now has a plethora of extra tracks that are part of the greatest collecton found on most compilations including the quintessential "Girlschool Collection" anthology, such as 'Take It All Away', 'Midnight Ride', 'Race With the Devil' and 'Emergency'; all hugely popular for the band. In conclusion, it is brilliant 80s metal from the NWOBHM. Girlschool did everything right on this classic.

RIP guitarist: Kelly Johnson

Heres a final clip put to the hilarious vision from Grindhouse Death Proof

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - 30 Jul 2010 at 8:31pm
GLAM METAL!
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 8:35pm
Great website here too

http://www.wimetal.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3297&start=0

GLAM METAL!
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 6:32am
Just saw The Runaways movie and loved it
Pioneer girl rock band with Lita Ford and Joan Jett

some clips here!

I made this slide show to Litas solo live with the Runaways

and heres the original Cherry Bomb promo that rocks hard!

GLAM METAL!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 1:54pm
I think I much prefer the older acts mentioned here than most of the newer female led acts such as Within Temptation, Nightwish and Lacuna Coil. I can�t say I�ve heard all their releases but the albums I�ve heard by most modern female led acts focused way too much on the female vocalist ( both in image and in sound), which means that the riffs and the instrumental side of the music tends to be backing and quite generic stuff. I like my music to be interesting both vocally and instrumentally, but mostly instrumentally and that�s probably the main reason why I don�t really enjoy the albums by the modern female led acts that I�ve listened to.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 12:10am
Please checkout some on my List (and see their "Genres" next to them) on page 1,
I am in a discussion on Progulus about some Forum Threads where people are soo closed minded
about Metal (and Femme Vocals), as I just said at the Chat:
". . . some people put Metal in a "Box", and they put themselves in it and close the flaps :meh:".

Though I must re-emphasise that it took me awhile to get used to the "Operatic" style of vocals,
but I like it even more when they have a wide range like Floor of After Forever/ReVamp.
It should be about whats good and what isnt.  I just see alot of the bias is more about a c
hauvinistic
point of view because "women" are still a threat to weak minded "guys" . . .
NOT that I'm calling anyone here that (assuming most of you are into the "music" not a gender
"race").

I guess this is where we Men draw Swords for the Ladies of Metal Rawks

By the way, one of the staff at PrOgulus created this:
http://astore.amazon.com/progulus-20?_encoding=UTF8&node=9

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 13 Oct 2010 at 12:34am

MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 7:54am
Originally posted by MAVIIIVAM MAVIIIVAM wrote:

Please checkout some on my List (and see their "Genres" next to them) on page 1,
I am in a discussion on Progulus about some Forum Threads where people are soo closed minded
about Metal (and Femme Vocals), as I just said at the Chat:
". . . some people put Metal in a "Box", and they put themselves in it and close the flaps :meh:".

Though I must re-emphasise that it took me awhile to get used to the "Operatic" style of vocals,
but I like it even more when they have a wide range like Floor of After Forever/ReVamp.
It should be about whats good and what isnt.  I just see alot of the bias is more about a c
hauvinistic
point of view because "women" are still a threat to weak minded "guys" . . .
NOT that I'm calling anyone here that (assuming most of you are into the "music" not a gender
"race").

I guess this is where we Men draw Swords for the Ladies of Metal Rawks

By the way, one of the staff at PrOgulus created this:
http://astore.amazon.com/progulus-20?_encoding=UTF8&node=9

I am with you all the way here - cruelly underrated girl rock began all that operatic Gothic stuff and it doesnt hold a candle to the early girl bands such as Runaways,  Rock Goddess and Girlschool. Tho the music seems to be more technical without a doubt these days. the latest Epica is incredible. Nightwish are amazing as are After Forever and Lacuna Coil - the image of the sexy girl fronting tough metal head guys is a bit old hat now but hang it if it works..... bums on seats is the order of the day and sex sells.
GLAM METAL!
goskoski View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goskoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 4:25pm
Sacrilege (UK)

Shadows of Mordor (Crusted Thrash) - 1985

Sight of the Wise (Thrash) - 1987

Silent Dark (progressive Doom Metal) - 1988

Edited by goskoski - 28 Mar 2011 at 4:34pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 3:07pm
Nice to see Astarte mentioned, one of my favourite BM bands.

Another all female band I have listened to is Hysterica (http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/hysterica.aspx)

Some call them the female version of Manowar. Since I never listened to manowar, no comment from me on that.

Some perhaps lesser known bands with female singers:

Trad heavy metal/speed metal, they used to be fronted by a man but replaced him with a woman, Kate French on their second album. Her vocals are more along the lines of trad and power metal bands than bands like Within temptation or Nightwish.

Russian folk metal. Probably about as extreme as folk metal gets. The girl sings cleanly as well as doing death growls.

Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
goskoski View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goskoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 6:39pm
Don't forget her:
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Some call them the female version of Manowar. Since I never listened to manowar, no comment from me on that.

LOL!!!!
Hysterica is DEFINITELY like a female version of Man O War! (Anvil etc.)  After just 31seconds of lyrics I
had to hit my palm to my head Tongue (When English is your 1st language, these lyrics are just too silly), I may
have liked this stuff when I was 18 thru 25 but come on! LOL!  But damn it, the "music" is pretty good!
Someone has said at MMA "Metal shouldnt be Art or complicated", and I made a point "Metal shouldn't
have any rules" . . . well-there ya' go Clap.  (Dont know if I can deal with those lyrics though Confused).

Vainglory is pretty good! Aggressive but the Femme Vox adds a nice touch!
Аркона . . . WOW! The Video is well made and the "Drama" of the Female singer sent shivers up my
spine Big smile.
Edit:
Oh My!!! I did not realize that the person doing the harsher/cookie vocals on the Drekar/Long-ship is not a
Man but the same beautiful "singer" on the Rock! . . . I'm speechless Shocked.
I'll have to find these guys!

I'm going to have to breakout my Sacrilege LP in Storage, that was a time of buying anything that looked
interesting.

Thought I'd add more Female fronted Bands (from my List):

Echoes of Eternity:

Aggressive Metal with very melodic vocals Big smile

Charisma:

Tech-Prog Metal with excellent vox!

To-Mera:

. . . get ready for a "musical" trip. Beautiful, Aggressive, Technical.

Big smile

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 05 Apr 2011 at 12:46am

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 5:16pm
I must say that I do enjoy Hysterica quite a bit, though I do often wish their lyrics weren't so OTT, there only one song on their debut with more serious lyrics.

Glad you enjoyed Vainglory and Аркона. 

Echoes of Eternity and To-Mera Thumbs Up

More for this thread

Dylath-Leen:

Melodic death metal, one female vocalist who does growls/cleans with a male vocalist who does deeper growls.

Ancient Bards:

Female fronted symphonic power metal. Very different sound to the likes of Nightwish etc, closer to Rhapsody of Fire then anything.

Coronatus:

Double-female fronted gothic metal. One classical singer, one singer with more rocky vocals. Their second album Porta Obscura is one of the best gothic metal albums I ever heard.

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011 at 5:06am
More contributions:

Cruachan

Irish folk metal band. They had a female singer full time from their second to fifth albums but she left and they aren't replacing her, going back to their folk/black metal roots for their new album which is out this month.

And just to show what they sound like now:

Amberian Dawn

More like Nightwish this one but they have more of a neoclassical sound to them.

Jex Thoth

Very retro sounding doom metal.

Triosphere

More a traditional band setup again with quite a powerful female vocal.

GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic