MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Christian Thrash & Tourniquet ,Deliverance thread
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Christian Thrash & Tourniquet ,Deliverance thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Christian Thrash & Tourniquet ,Deliverance thread
    Posted: 21 May 2010 at 1:25pm
There's a lot of Christian metal missing and as a spokesperson for this niche genre LOL i have to at least draw your attention to them. this thread will feature every Christian Metal band in history - nothing controversial but this will be the thread to come to for Christian metal. This is not being negative that the bands are missing below, but they deserve recognition as they were undisputedly metal! Enjoy discovering them...

First on the positive;  i am pleased to see heaps of Christian metal here on the MAA such as among the best of them -  BrideClap, BloodgoodClap, Barren Cross, The Crucified, DeliveranceClapClapClapClap, Demon Hunter, Die Happy, Kings X, Lightforce, Living SacrificeClap, MortificationClap Clap, Shout, sacred warrior, StryperClapClap, TourniquetClapClapClapClapClap, Underoath, Vebgeance risingClapClapClap, Whitecross ClapClap, Zao....

bands that deserve recognition who are missing at this point:

Barnabus

Guardian

Leviticus

Once Dead

Resurrection Band

Seventh Angel

Warrior

Valor

Latest Christian metal....... 
1994 - P.O.D. � Snuff the Punk

1996 - P.O.D. � Brown

1997 - Living Sacrifice � Reborn

1997 - Blindside � Self-Titled

1998 - Eso-Charis � Self-Titled

1998 - Project 86 � Self-Titled

1999 - Hopesfall � The Frailty of Words

1999 - P.O.D. � The Fundamental Elements of Southtown

1999 - Disciple � This Might Sting A Little

1999 - Stavesacre � Speakeasy

2000 - Living Sacrifice � The Hammering Process

2000 - Embodyment � The Narrow Scope of Things

2000 - Blindside � A Thought Crushed My Mind

2000 - Project 86 � Drawing Black Lines

2000 - Society�s Finest � The Journey�So Far

2001 - Embodyment � Hold Your Breath

2001 - Luti-Kriss � Throwing Myself

2001 - P.O.D. � Satellite

2001 - As I Lay Dying � Beneath the Encasing of Ashes

2001 - Disciple � By God

2001 - East West � The Light In Guinevere�s Garden

2001 - Sinai Beach � Wolves in Sheep�s Clothing

2001 - Skillet � Alien Youth

2001 - Thousand Foot Krutch � Set It Off

2002 - Living Sacrifice � Conceived In Fire

2002 - Demon Hunter � Self-Titled

2002 - Dead Poetic � Four Wall Blackmail

2002 - Stavesacre � (stavzaker)

2003 - P.O.D. � Payable On Death

2003 - Extol � Synergy

2003 - Disciple � Back Again

2003 - East West � Vintage

2003 - Sinai Beach � When Breath Escapes

2003 - Soul Embraced � Immune

2003 - Thousand Foot Krutch � Phenomenon

2004 - Demon Hunter � Summer of Darkness

2004 - Emery � The Weak�s End

2004 - Mortal Treason � A Call to the Martyrs

2006 - P.O.D. � Testify

2010 � Living Sacrifice � The Infinite Order

This could take forever so i will just post the list from the sebsite

[edit] 0-9

[edit] A

[edit] B

[edit] C

[edit] D

[edit] E

[edit] F

[edit] G

[edit] H

[edit] I

[edit] J

[edit] K

[edit] L

[edit] M

[edit] N

[edit] O

[edit] P

[edit] R

[edit] S

[edit] T

[edit] U

[edit] V

[edit] W

[edit] X

[edit] Z

Tourniquet and Deliverance are two of the best speed metal Christain bands ever and i am into them big time. i have all their music and videos and want to talk to anyone about them who are interested.

Hope we can have some interesting discussions about them.

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - 23 May 2010 at 1:34am
GLAM METAL!
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 6:19pm
AND THE CROWD GOES WILD FOR THE TOPIC!!!! LOL

I had suggested at your other thread that you do a "Christain Metal Appreciation" thread, so maybe
this topic will be a little more broader.  Plus, gear it toward people who don't really listen or look
for a "certain" type of Metal based on a Belief, but may be open to hear some suggestions purely
on the music.  Most Metalheads think its a Oxymoron (Christian Metal, Christian Death Metal) but,
good music is good music, even better if it has a positive light to it (okay okay, I'm sure theres
arguments for Black and Satanic Bands . . . depending on you p.o.v.  Though I see "Pagan/Folk"
Metal having more positives).

I really like Deliverance, but I think (for me) "Weapons of Warfare" is my fave and the strongest of
their releases.  I like Tournaquet because they get really Technical (The Drummer is awesome and
I believe is on "Weapons of Warfare", and he has played with other Christian Thrash Bands), but
the "Vocals" kind of get to me, but I havent heard their latter/newer Albums for the past . . . 7 years?

As far as quote "Christian Metal" goes . . .
My fave of recent Years was Extol from Sweden, Super Technical to the point of Math Metal but
are considered a Death Metal Band, though the vocalist has 3 to 4 "different sounds" and that
includes a REALLY good clean melodic voice.  A great album to listen to is "Undecieved".
Its too bad there last album, they tried a different a different syle of Metal, and that just put the
nail in the coffin for this once great band Unhappy.
The latest Demon Hunter sounds more Death Metal (very "Soilwork"-like) than "Core" and I have
been enjoying it alot. Give a listen to the new one "The World is a Thorn".
Though they say they are not a "Christian Band" but talk about the spiritual struggles is probably
my fave Spiritual Band - Kings X, as just as a "band" they are a very talented power trio and
really awesome vocal arrangements.  You got an awesome Bass player (plays 4 and 8-string
Alembic Bass guitars) that sings like a Gospel and Rythem and Blues vocalist, an incredible
Guitarist that sings like John Lennon, and a Drummer with a 7 piece Kit that pounds them into
submission and sings like George Harrison Big smile . But they sing of secular topics as well.
A band that started as a Thrash Band in the Thrash Explosion Viking (find the album "Man of
Straw"), went on to form the Christian Band Oil which I still have not heard, I'll have to do a
YOUtube search, I've heard they were very good.
Stryper I have not heard the latest 2 (I believe) albums, I really liked their 1st 2, but after those,
I really got tired of hearing their "ballads" and the rest of the music got commercialized, it lost
its Heavy Metal edge.  I really want to hear their latest albums.

Other Bands that are spiritually influenced (Christian/Judeo) that I've heard:
Vengeance Rising (Death Metal)
Mortification (Death Metal)
The Crucified (Crossover/Thrash).
Jacobs Dream (Prog Metal)
Saviour Machine (Heavy Metal)
Atomic Opera (Heavy Metal/Prog Metal - a combo of Galactic Cowboys and Kings X in sound)
Galactic Cowboys (Prog-Heavy Metal/Thrash)
Trouble (Great Doom Metal turned Heavy "Groove" Metal, awesome Guitarists!).
Believer (Another great Tech-Thrash/Death Metal band that were ahead of the time, though I
was very dissapointed with their latest).
Theocracy (Prog Metal)
Living Sacrifice (Thrash/Death Metal)
Balance of Power (Prog-Powermetal)
Narnia (Prog-Power Metal)
Prymary (Prog Metal)

Also, Wiki has a list of Bands that I'd love to get into Big smile and their "Christian Metal"  Article
is very good (though again, I think misses out on a handful of Bands).
Heres the list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_metal_bands

Here are some Bands I've heard with Hindu/Bhuddist themes:
Cynic (Tech-Thrash/Fusion/Death Metal - One of my all time faves)
Cro-Mags (Thrash/Crossover)
Aghora (Tech-Thrash/Fusion/Math Metal - a new fave of recent years, incredible musicians).
Fredrik Thodendals Special Deffects (Math Metal - Guitarist from Meshuggah only solo
album, the "Concept" of the album is very Bhuddist in its philosophy and the "inner turmoil"
and Spiritual Awakening)
I know there are more but I've forgotten . . .

Hebrew/Judeo Influenced:
Orphaned Land (Prog Metal/Death Metal - Really excellent!)
Amaseffer (Prog Metal)
Melechesh (Death Metal)
Daniel J (Solo Guitarist/Prog Metal)
Edgend (Tech-Prog Metal)

Muslim Influenced:
Myrath (Tech-Prog Metal)
Acrassicauda (Heavy Metal/Thrash - Was once the ONLY Metal Band from Iraq featured
in the Documentary "Heavy Metal in Baghdad". Though they are not a "Religious" Band.
They just released a 4 song EP called "Only the Dead see the end of the War").

I'd love to hear more from the Middle East and surrounding Areas/Religions Big smile.

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 22 May 2010 at 6:22pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 6:22pm
^
Hey Antonio, your knowledge of metal is incredible. Is there a metal band you never heard of ?
Dorosłe dzieci mają żal, za kiepski przepis na ten świat.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 6:36pm
LOL!!!!! I'm an OLD fart!LOL
I've lived though EVERY incarnation of Metal . . . I LOVE it so Big smileHeartRawksI have a great Internet
Station to listen to Prog Metal/Math Metal and 2 great Record Stores in LA to find new stuff.
I really do live for Metal Smile  But hey, there are TONS of Metal I missed out on from the NWOBHM
and other eras, always looking for stuff from the past and present Wink.

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 22 May 2010 at 6:38pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 12:12am
Originally posted by MAVIIIVAM MAVIIIVAM wrote:

I really like Deliverance, but I think (for me) "Weapons of Warfare" is my fave and the strongest of
their releases.  I like Tournaquet because they get really Technical (The Drummer is awesome and
I believe is on "Weapons of Warfare", and he has played with other Christian Thrash Bands), but
the "Vocals" kind of get to me, but I havent heard their latter/newer Albums for the past . . . 7 years?

As far as quote "Christian Metal" goes . . .
My fave of recent Years was Extol from Sweden, Super Technical to the point of Math Metal but
are considered a Death Metal Band, though the vocalist has 3 to 4 "different sounds" and that
includes a REALLY good clean melodic voice.  A great album to listen to is "Undecieved".
Its too bad there last album, they tried a different a different syle of Metal, and that just put the
nail in the coffin for this once great band Unhappy.
The latest Demon Hunter sounds more Death Metal (very "Soilwork"-like) than "Core" and I have
been enjoying it alot. Give a listen to the new one "The World is a Thorn".
Though they say they are not a "Christian Band" but talk about the spiritual struggles is probably
my fave Spiritual Band - Kings X, as just as a "band" they are a very talented power trio and
really awesome vocal arrangements.  You got an awesome Bass player (plays 4 and 8-string
Alembic Bass guitars) that sings like a Gospel and Rythem and Blues vocalist, an incredible
Guitarist that sings like John Lennon, and a Drummer with a 7 piece Kit that pounds them into
submission and sings like George Harrison Big smile . But they sing of secular topics as well.
A band that started as a Thrash Band in the Thrash Explosion Viking (find the album "Man of
Straw"), went on to form the Christian Band Oil which I still have not heard, I'll have to do a
YOUtube search, I've heard they were very good.
Stryper I have not heard the latest 2 (I believe) albums, I really liked their 1st 2, but after those,
I really got tired of hearing their "ballads" and the rest of the music got commercialized, it lost
its Heavy Metal edge.  I really want to hear their latest albums.

Other Bands that are spiritually influenced (Christian/Judeo) that I've heard:
Vengeance Rising (Death Metal)
Mortification (Death Metal)
The Crucified (Crossover/Thrash).
Jacobs Dream (Prog Metal)
Saviour Machine (Heavy Metal)
Atomic Opera (Heavy Metal/Prog Metal - a combo of Galactic Cowboys and Kings X in sound)
Galactic Cowboys (Prog-Heavy Metal/Thrash)
Trouble (Great Doom Metal turned Heavy "Groove" Metal, awesome Guitarists!).
Believer (Another great Tech-Thrash/Death Metal band that were ahead of the time, though I
was very dissapointed with their latest).
Theocracy (Prog Metal)
Living Sacrifice (Thrash/Death Metal)
Balance of Power (Prog-Powermetal)
Narnia (Prog-Power Metal)
Prymary (Prog Metal)

Also, Wiki has a list of Bands that I'd love to get into Big smile and their "Christian Metal"  Article
is very good (though again, I think misses out on a handful of Bands).
Heres the list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_metal_bands

hi thx 4 the enthusiasm LOL

Love all those metal bands you mentioned - i will be reviewing every single Christian metal album here i can asure you. i could be a special christian thrash collaboratorLOL Actually i am more into glam metal than anything I feel as I grew up with it and know everyhing about it. I prefer to review than make treads here at the moment because i am like a fish out of water with all this black metal and dark music that i have gotten rid of out of my life years ago. i usaed to be a Slayer addict - I know everything they did from Show No Mercy to Seasons of Abyss and then I gave it up becoming a Christian everything they did conflicted with me - i still loved the music and still think Hanneman and Araya are incredible nmusicians but it just totally conflicted with me - i couldnt listen to them at all. The same with Morbid Angle and the same with Mercyful fate - i had them all but Christian Metal filled the void.

it began with Stryper and Rez band and then Believer and Seventh Angel and then the awesome Tourniquet and Deliverance and even the extreme Mortification. I used to hang out wth head bangers and saw many bands such as Psycroptic, Blood Duster and other death metal/ gore metal bands performing live in my early Christian years.

Now i am more into prog rock and some prog metal so it is all a matter of taste - tastes change and one can not help this as you get older and your life chnages.  It is not a crime to like a certain type of music but it has to work for you. Christian thrash is as good as anythig I have heard including Megadeth or Kreator.
GLAM METAL!
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 1:48am
Here are some awesome websites on Christian Metal!!!

I got this from somewhere  - its the best Christian Metal websites

12 Stones

On the bands official web site you will find a message board, news, merchandise, full length Real Audio or Windows Media sound clips, lyrics, video and tour information.

As I Lay Dying

On this hardcore metal band's official site you can see their extensive tour schedule, find out some little known facts about the band members and check out a ton of photos.

Blindside

Blindside's official site offers a complete discography, an MP3 shop, a concert schedule, the latest Blindside news, plenty of music and pics.

Children 18:3

On the band's official MySpace you can listen to their music, see pics and check out where they're going to be playing.

Demon Hunter

The Demon Hunter site is the place to find video and audio clips, tour info and news.

Disciple

Disciple's official site includes music clips, news, a biography, show dates, and photos.

Doubledge

On this New York City band's official site, you can find out more about the band, hear their music, see pics and videos and find out where they're playing.

Emery

On Emery's official site you can find tons of goodies like videos, photos, music, buddy icons and wallpaper.

Eowyn

Successful on radio and on stage, this indie artist is making noise ... and it's good noise. On her site, you can hear full length songs, check out photos, keep up with recent news and find out where she's going to be playing next.

Ever Stays Red

Tour news, photos, music and more about the band can be found on Ever Stays Red's official web site.

Falling Up

Learn more about this popular rock band.

Fireflight

Blend a little bit of progressive metal, modern rock and emo-core and a lot of talent and you've got Fireflight. On their official site you can learn more about them and hear their awesome brand of music.

Flyleaf

Learn more about Lacey and Flyleaf.

Harmony

This Swedish metal band offers great music, pics, wallpapers, tab for their music, tour dates and news.

Jonah33

Jonah33 in review, with the bands bio, a listing of their songs, with links to lyrics and their official site.

Joshua Perahia The Band

On the bands official site you'll find lyrics, gigs, reveiws, downloads and more.

Kronicles

Find tour news, photos and videos on Kronicles' official site.

Kutless

The Kutless profile has info on the band, a complete discography and links to their official site, interviews, lyrics and tab.

Metal For Jesus

Johannes Jonsson has one of the best Christian Metal sites on the internet today. He features info on Christian metal bands from all over the world as well as plenty of stuff on metal music in Christianity.

MxPx

On this popular punk rock band's official site, you will can meet the guys, get free stuff like wallpapers and icons and hear their music.

Narnia

Narnia is a Christian metal band from Sweden. On their site you can find sound clips, videos, news, info and more.

Neviah Nevi

Neviah Nevi is an indie band who has played with Overflow and has joined the Extreme Tour this spring which will be hitting the East Coast.

Norma Jean

Looking for more info on Norma Jean? Their official site is the best place to start. Check out the latest news, the band's discography and tour news while you're listening to their music.

P.O.D. (Payable on Death)

The official web site for this 2003 Echo award winner. Includes a store, video footage, pics, an email list and more.

Pillar

Official site. This is the place to find great resources for the MCA band, Pillar.

Project 86

On the band's official site you can find the latest news, a discography, a journal and, of course, music.

RED

RED's official site offers merchandise, music and much, much more.

Relient K

The profile of the Canton, OH band offers bios, touring info and a whole lot more.

Road to Revelation

This band, which happens to be your Guide's band, has an official website that offers sound clips, pics, in depth bios, daily bible verses and more.

Seven System

This band, which was nominated as "Breakout Artist of the Year" by The American Christian Music Exchange in 2005, blends old school metal with an almost "grunge" sound. On their official site you'll find videos, sound clips, pics and more.

Stellar Kart

Learn more about Stellar Kart through their profile.

Stryper

Learn more about these legends of Christian hard rock.

Thousand Foot Krutch

The bands official site is being revamped and isn't quite finished as of mid-November, but what they have so far is great. Sections of the site include news, downloads, message boards, photos, tour info and an online journal.

Underoath

On this extreme band's website you'll find a journal, photos, a store, the latest news, tour info, and of course, music.

Whitecross

Whitecross is back with a new album coming out in August of 2005. On their site you can check out some of their history, order merchandise or get to know other Whitecross fans.

Wrench

The heavy metal band Wrench has sound clips, a message board, news and more on their new web site.
GLAM METAL!
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 2:01am
You know I'm a Christian as well,
But I really truely believe, "If you know youre heart and its in the right place, and are righteous in spirit,
as well as a good person who does not JUDGE anyone, then any dark forces should not be feared".
I listen to all kinds of Death Metal and other extreme music, I do get turned off by "Dark" lyrics, and I
never did like "Gore Metal" (though I do like Carcass because they were pioneers and did "it"
differently, but I like the post-"Tools of the Trade" era the best).  But I'm VERY picky with my Death
Metal and Black Metal.
I too are more into the "Progressive" Metal (and Rock) because its more diverse, but I've kept all my
loves from the past as well as the new. By the way, Psycroptic are awesome! Love that Math/Death
Metal.

But hey, I have to ask, one of the reasons (But mostly because of the Music)I don't like Glam Metal/
Hard Rock, doesnt Glam glorify the "Sex, over excessive lifestyles, and Rock n' Roll"? The ones that
are of a "True" Glam Rock I've witnessed anyway.  I'd have to think Death, Thrash and Black Metal
may have better values (isnt that weird) instead of pretentious ones.
And sometimes I get a bit bothered some bands that are called "Glam" and "Hair Bands" (God I hate
that, that would mean ALL Metal are Hair Bands Tongue).  But forgive, I'm not a big Glam fan Dead.

By the way, I'm a "Dave Mustaine" kind of Christian, I may cuss once in awhile and "hate" (Hey, there
are some hard-core Evils out there), but I refuse to judge anyone who does no harm and are just
decent folk Wink.  I'm not here on Earth to add to the [%&*@]s that think they are holier than thou.  As I
am fond of saying, many people I have met that wear crosses around their neck "Becomes an
Albatross around their neck , more like a Tournaquet"
(Which I wrote in a Song lyric years ago).
Or listen to "One Foot in Hell" by Forbidden, thats how I see it (By the way, singer Russ Anderson is
a Christian and has a band called "Parking Lot Prophets"): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dZ7s0_lPRc

But to each his own Big smile Thanks for the reply!  And look forward to more Spiritual Bands!  I've missed
out on alot from back in the day.

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 23 May 2010 at 2:04am

MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 3:26am
Originally posted by MAVIIIVAM MAVIIIVAM wrote:

You know I'm a Christian as well,
But I really truely believe, "If you know youre heart and its in the right place, and are righteous in spirit,
as well as a good person who does not JUDGE anyone, then any dark forces should not be feared".
I listen to all kinds of Death Metal and other extreme music, I do get turned off by "Dark" lyrics, and I
never did like "Gore Metal" (though I do like Carcass because they were pioneers and did "it"
differently, but I like the post-"Tools of the Trade" era the best).  But I'm VERY picky with my Death
Metal and Black Metal.
I too are more into the "Progressive" Metal (and Rock) because its more diverse, but I've kept all my
loves from the past as well as the new. By the way, Psycroptic are awesome! Love that Math/Death
Metal.

But hey, I have to ask, one of the reasons (But mostly because of the Music)I don't like Glam Metal/
Hard Rock, doesnt Glam glorify the "Sex, over excessive lifestyles, and Rock n' Roll"? The ones that
are of a "True" Glam Rock I've witnessed anyway.  I'd have to think Death, Thrash and Black Metal
may have better values (isnt that weird) instead of pretentious ones.
And sometimes I get a bit bothered some bands that are called "Glam" and "Hair Bands" (God I hate
that, that would mean ALL Metal are Hair Bands Tongue).  But forgive, I'm not a big Glam fan Dead.

By the way, I'm a "Dave Mustaine" kind of Christian, I may cuss once in awhile and "hate" (Hey, there
are some hard-core Evils out there), but I refuse to judge anyone who does no harm and are just
decent folk Wink.  I'm not here on Earth to add to the [%&*@]s that think they are holier than thou.  As I
am fond of saying, many people I have met that wear crosses around their neck "Becomes an
Albatross around their neck , more like a Tournaquet"
(Which I wrote in a Song lyric years ago).
Or listen to "One Foot in Hell" by Forbidden, thats how I see it (By the way, singer Russ Anderson is
a Christian and has a band called "Parking Lot Prophets"): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dZ7s0_lPRc

But to each his own Big smile Thanks for the reply!  And look forward to more Spiritual Bands!  I've missed
out on alot from back in the day.

Hey there thats encouraging and I think its great to get into other types of metal as long as it doesnt effect you in a negative way. i certainly cant listen to bands like cannibal Corpse anymore tho i loved that 'hammer Smashed Face;' riffing they do. LOL

I have heard Carcas' 'Been Caught Buttering' - the lyrics were atrociousTongue nI WAS KIND OF DISTURBED BUT THERE YOU GO. I still love Kreator 'Some Pain Will Last' and Napalm Death's 'Suffer the Children' and Bolt Throwers 'Cenotaph' are all classic in speed thrashs death. <My Christian buddie swould not agree but hey I am a music connosieur....Star 

Metallica and Megadeth are awesome IMHO and Iron Maiden esp 'Rime of the Ancient Mariner'

Nice talking

GLAM METAL!
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 4:02am
If i'm not mistaken . . .
"Been caught buttering" is Pungent Stench, and those guys need Psychiatric help Dead.
I'm a big fan of Maiden, I love that theyre are History buffs Big smile Napalm has always had great lyrics and its
always about the World and self integrity Clap.

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 23 May 2010 at 4:03am

MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 5:26am
^
Hey you are right that was Pungent Stench and they do need PH LOL

heres another great new Christian prog metal and that are not on the MAA YET!

MY REVIEW (from PA)

4 stars Godly prog metal piercing the darkness with incredible musicianship!

Menahem are a prog metal band from Brazil that have a similar style to Pain Of Salvation, Riverside and especially Dream Theater. The vocal talents of Van Ranna are akin to Ronnie James Dio; he does not resort to the caustic gravel tones of so many extreme metal acts churning out of the metal machine of recent years. Instead we get a selection of songs with heartfelt lyrics and emotion that is quite surprising. Another disarming aspect of the group is that they are full on Christians, evidenced by the thought provoking Christian lyrics that are based on devoting a life to Jesus and the trials that we all experience, from suicide to redemption, and how to overcome these tribulations. I noticed live they like to boldly yell things out to their audience such as "Satan is a liar!" There may be a section of prog addicts who will be turned away by this revelation, but that would be a great shame as the band are fantastic musicians and the lyrics enhance the sound rather than detract from it. My feeling is that the Christian content makes for a welcome relief to the plethora of dark prog that is emerging these days.

As for the musicianship it is quite extraordinary, particularly the way that Marc and Aires' guitars duel in extended lead breaks using inventive time signatures that switch from fast to slow with technical precision; the drums by Murilo Marc are well executed and he leads from the front with powerful beats and cymbal crashes, a true virtuoso drummer and a lot of these tracks can be seen on youtube with just Marc drumming along to the tracks and one must admit that his skill is on a par with Bruford or Portnoy. This debut album is a follow up to their three track CD demo, with Brazillian language tracks, released in 2005, and their Promo CD released in 2008 with three tracks that are all featured on 'Angels and Shadows'.

The album begins with 'Angels and Shadows' that kicks things off with a brutal riff backed by a fabulous keyboard motif from Oliviera. The bass of Scates motorvates along and then Van Ranna's powerful vocals present the message of hope: 'Angels and Shadows fight in the skies, Light and darkness show their power, The King will return in the end.' There are definite influences of James La Brie and it is indeed exceptional metal vocals. The riffs chug along at strange tempos, missing rhythmic beats and juxtaposing unusual time changes integrated to form some very dynamic prog metal riffs. The lead break is a showcase of string bending and hammering with speed picking, fret melting metal. The track slows down to give room for some accomplished guitar screams firing off harmonics off the scale.

'Escape' features another very choppy riff and some strong verses. The drums by Marc are a real feature on this with tricky fills and heavy bashing on timpani and lightning fast double kicks. The lyrics involve escaping from the destructive chaos of the world: 'I live in a world of illusions looking for a way out, Wars, death, destruction is what I feel inside of me, I feel the fear attacking my soul, Agony dominates me, I am standing still with fear of death, The time goes away, Taking away my breath of life.' A strong rocking track with a superb instrumental break showcasing the skill of the musicians.

'New Chance' is a melodic metal track with an infectious chorus about starting again from scratch after waking from a nightmare. The opening riff is quite pretty, the piano accompanies the motif. The chorus cries out from the depths: 'Wake up from this nightmare, See the sun shining in the horizon, Don't listen to the echo of your past, Get the chance to start again'. I really like the lead break with squeals and arpeggio licks, whammy bar stretches and intricate picking. The bell tolls as a brutal riff crunches heralding the beginning of a new lease in life. Van Ranna screeches a bit at the end, and then the opening riff chimes in again. It ends with disturbing screaming voices who are apparently calling out from hell. Another highlight of the album.

'Promise' is all about the end times and how Jesus will return to take back those who believe to reign eternal with Him as the lyrics profess: 'The shadows don't let you see, They take away the certainty of what will happen, Hiding the announced words, Hiding the prophecy and the return of the king.' The riff on this is slow with heavy distorted power chords, the drums blaze away in a free form style and the keyboard is ferociously trying to keep up. A cool rocker that builds speed and rips along at a roaring pace. 'Prisons Without Walls' spreads a strong message about how to escape the prison of being without hope: 'How does it feel stuck inside your mind? And being stuck in a prison without walls? You sleep tormented by your secret feelings, Hope goes away, with every dusk.' Once again the music seems to enhance the message of discovering a way out of despair as the guitars lift the mood and the bass is relentlessly keeping rhythm. Marc's drumming is like the sound of heralding a battle with militaristic drum rolls and timpani flourishes. A majestic sound is created throughout; a triumphant optimistic atmosphere.

'Freedom' continues the trend with melodic vocals and some inspired power metal with intricate fills. The message is as strong as the other tracks: 'Evil and fear follow you, doubt is rising again, Your mind is totally shut, You need to be free.'

'Ocean of Tears' begins with sounds of the waves crashing and a lulling acoustic melody. There is a flute sound hovering over the top and a melancholy sound is created. Ambient and uplifting lyrics contain some heartfelt content: 'God show me the path, If you are, give me one more chance, God show me the path, If you are, forgive me.' The time sig is still very much broken into odd meters but this is more accessible to the average listener. A lovely lead break using wah wah pedals and whammy bar resounds. The piano plays fortissimo scales and vibrant hooks while a heavy slow distorted guitar crashes in at the end verse.

'Trip Beyond The Mind' is a brilliant track and was the one that introduced me to Menahem, after hearing it on prog radio, and I am so glad I made the effort to check the band out further. The third track absolutely kicks with amazing riffs that break and chug into intricate melodies. Once again the lyrics are about knowing God and following him, based on Revelation, the second coming of Christ: 'But now I can hear, The sound of the trumpet, It is Your voice that I go after, They can even try to hold me, I can fly with the angels, I know that my destiny is in the hands of God'. The riff continues to crunch along with some odd timing that surprises the ear. There is an excellent half time feel at 2:53 where Marc's double kick drums pummel and a slow riff merges into a Dream Theaterish hammering riff. The wah wah lead guitar trades off masterfully with the keyboard wizardry of Oliveira. Marc and Aires duel guitar lead solos are freakish and this continues for a while until an energetic strange little riff blazes forth and then we return to the original riff. It is all killer, no filler with virtuoso playing and metronome swinging riffs. Awesome!

The slowest track on the album is 'Creed' and it is really a worship song in the same vein as what Neal Morse plays on his solo albums where he dedicates his life to Jesus. Perhaps this is as blatant as the band gets lyrically: 'I believe in God, the Father, Creator of heaven and earth, I believe in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord, Who was conceived by the power of the Holy Ghost, Birthing of a Virgin, Was crucified, and died On the third Day He rose again, He ascended to heaven, And is seated at the right Father's hand.' The whole thing is based on Biblical scripture, and there is nothing wrong with that when you consider how much satanic bands promote their message of death and destruction; here we have the light side of metal without apology. As for the music, this is quiet, melancholy soft metal with some exquisite guitar breaks.

'Your Pain' is a slow tempo intricate track with some atmospheric keyboard breaks and a very odd drumming metrical pattern. The lyrics are once again directed to Christians, and in this case to Jesus Himself: 'In the day of your pain, When the veil was torn, Death consumed you, But on the third day you rose again.' The star on this track is Oliveira on those electric piano arpeggios, tinkling up and down the keys as a lead guitar grinds out the melody. Van Ranna screams at the end of this with high octave range and then a lengthy instrumental break takes the track to its conclusion. Simply wonderful musicianship.

'Suicidal Trend' has very strong lyrics about a man with suicidal tendencies who is about to put a bullet in his skull when he hears the voice of Jesus calling Him and sees the figure in white: 'I feel the cold dominating me, The blood boils in my veins, time passes by in one second, I point the weapon to my own head, I wish I could see the sun once more, wake up with no pain in my soul, feel the wind touching me, find a reason to live.' The reason to live is turning to Christ and finding the reason to live. The message is that there is hope found in Jesus, and hopefully this song will cause listeners to think twice before the ultimate end.

The musical interchanges of light and dark are compelling. The main riff is a choppy angular tricky cruncher with almost Eastern keyboards complimenting it. A phased vocoder effect changes the second section and the mood gets darker as the man attempts suicide. Very fast little keyboard and twin guitar riffs chop and change throughout the instrumental, dynamically dueling against each another. This track has some of the most complex time signature shifts and there are very intricate multi chord speed licks. The band are absolutely compelling when they are in full flight. The track changes to a slower pace to end on the final verse where the man changes his mind and chooses life over death. Another excellent track worth listening to as an example of this fine band, no doubt.

In conclusion, it is a pleasure to discover how great this band can play and the message of hop is so refreshing. I give kudos for the Christian content that I always welcome as it is so rare these days to get a good Christian band with decent musicianship. Neal Morse is an exception but there are few with this type of talent; full blown prog with a Christian message. Of course you don't need to be a believer to get into this as Menaham are highly skilled virtuosos along the lines of Dream Theater and their sound is rich with creativity and innovation. I give 4.5 stars for a stunning debut and hopefully Menahem will present more great music on future albums.

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - 23 May 2010 at 5:27am
GLAM METAL!
Citizen Erased View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Erased Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 3:00pm
I'm Christian, and like Metal, but I don't tend to consider 'Christian' a genre unless it is worship music.

It's just lyrics, the music isn't played differently. We don't call it atheist metal after all.
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 5:05pm
As an athiest (with a small a Wink) I've always wondered what makes Christian music (in this case metal) different from 'normal' secular metal. Obviously, there are religious themes, but is there something else in the style or inclusion/exclusion of certain elements?

For example, I'd consider Agalloch to be 'heathen themed' metal, but I would not consider them as an 'atheist' band as a sole denonym.

Edited by Any Colour You Like - 25 May 2010 at 5:06pm
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 9:10pm
I would not WANT to "sub-catagorize" it.
Its kind of useless "Preaching to the Choir".  This gives many of these Metal Acts an opportunity to spread/talk/sing about the Ministry to a wider audience.  Or . . . you can just enjoy the music Smile

Oh by the way, Menahem are awesome! I have followed them since their release as my fave
Internet Station has many that have suggested it and "contacted" the Band to send the CD Big smile.
The singer is definately a Dio fan! Smile But I had no idea they were Christian (I dont own the CD
yet), thats great!  But I suggest to anyone who likes Technical Prog Metal, take a listen to it, on
the Internet Station in my "Sig" or on YOUtube, really good stuff!

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 25 May 2010 at 9:17pm

MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 10:10am
Great to hear you know about them as i think they are incredible band.

Thx for all the posts here - its just getting this thing going that counts at the moment - tho I sense a few darkened attitudes out there

i am certainly not here to argue with anyone. And I wont...
GLAM METAL!
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

There's a lot of Christian metal missing and as a spokesperson for this niche genre LOL i have to at least draw your attention to them.

Feel free to suggest any missing band in the "Suggest artist"-thread. We'd appreciate that a lot :-)
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 12:11pm
I'm an atheist myself but I must say, Stryper's 'To Hell With The Devil' has some really nice riffage on it!
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 1:11pm
I have mentioned these guys on my list,

But hearing it is another matter Wink This will change some minds of what  "Christian Metal"
can be (should be, not be, you get the picture...).
Awesome musicianship, heartfelt Lyrics, but still brutal in getting a "message" across.
EXTOL - Undeceived:

My fave album by them, The vocalist also has 3 to 4 different vocal styles as well!

Synergy is the last album to have the true sound of the Band, when they tried to be a bit
more commercial on the Next album - that pretty much put the nail in the coffin for them
(Drummer has played on the Math Metal Album by Twisted Into Form. And Extol
members are in the Prog-Tech/Death Metal Band Mantric).  Excellent vocals and
Math/Death Metal compositions on both these albums (Undeceived and Synergy that is).
The clean vocals make more appearances here, but they are one of the 1st to do so along
with Opeth.
Grace for Succession:

(One of my fave "Hugh Syme" Paintings for this album).

New Band "Mantric":

Havent purchased yet  or read lyrics so I dont know if they are a Spiritual
band, but the cuts I've heard-the music is all over the place!  Good stuff Big smile.

By the way, I goofed, Extol are from Norgvey Wink No-wonder they know Spiral Architect,
which is ironic that most members/if not all are "skeptics" and athiests (SA).

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 24 Jul 2010 at 3:35am

MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 10:25am
Sounding good here!
GLAM METAL!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image