Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 3 Solid Drummers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Pessimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 3 Solid Drummers
    Posted: 21 May 2010 at 12:51pm
Solid. Not flash, just downright hard-hitting drummers.

Here's my three:

Danny Carey (obligatory really)
Mike Smith (big, black, and I'm guessing his snare drum cries itself to sleep every night)
The rather underrated John Merryman (Cephalic Carnage)

topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 1:52pm
My top would be as follows:

Thomas Haake - Created a totally unique style, and definitely one of the most technical drummers out there.

Blake Richardson - Whenever I listen to BTBAM's later albums I am astounded. He perfected his drumming on Colors and kept it perfect on TGM, and his drums compliment the band flawlessly.

Danny Carey - ^ What that guy said.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 2:35pm
When I think solid downright hard hitting drummers I think of the likes of Phil Rudd, so compared to him all these mentioned are flash players Tongue But well...

1. Dave Turncrantz - I love pretty much everything he plays on the first two Russian Circles albums, and if I'd listened to the third one enough I could probably say the same about that. A perfect package of drive and creativity. Actually he's such a favourite at the moment along with The National's Bryan Devendorf (who doesn't hit hard and thus doesn't get his own place here), that I'll just leave this like this. No other trophies given.
<- Click on this!
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 3:41pm
1. Mike Portnoy (a crazy-time-signature 8-legged monster)
2. Martin Lopez (a technical monster when he needs to be, but also uses jazz and prog influences in his fantastic drumming)
3. Pete Sandoval (one of the best in death metal!)
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
The Pessimist View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Pessimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

2. Martin Lopez (a technical monster when he needs to be, but also uses jazz and prog influences in his fantastic drumming)

Good call. Although I always thought Prog drumming as a mixture of whatever genres a drummer can find?

The thing that's always impressed me about Lopez is the same as Danny Carey: not what he CAN do, but what he choses NOT to do. He plays for the music, not himself, and only does fills when they sound good in the music. Respect all round for the guy Clap
lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

Mike Smith (big, black, and I'm guessing his snare drum cries itself to sleep every night)

Impressive drummer. I saw him recently during the Suffocation gig in Paris. One of the best drumming I ever had the opportunity to witness.
Dorosłe dzieci mają żal, za kiepski przepis na ten świat.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Pessimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

Impressive drummer. I saw him recently during the Suffocation gig in Paris. One of the best drumming I ever had the opportunity to witness.

Pretty much sums up why I love his drumming... Pure fucking POWER.

Silver Shade of Lead View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver Shade of Lead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2010 at 7:32am
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

When I think solid downright hard hitting drummers I think of the likes of Phil Rudd, so compared to him all these mentioned are flash players Tongue But well...

1. Dave Turncrantz - I love pretty much everything he plays on the first two Russian Circles albums, and if I'd listened to the third one enough I could probably say the same about that. A perfect package of drive and creativity. Actually he's such a favourite at the moment along with The National's Bryan Devendorf (who doesn't hit hard and thus doesn't get his own place here), that I'll just leave this like this. No other trophies given.

How can you say no to this? Big smile

Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2010 at 8:00am
I can't stick to three drummers only, so this list contains more (and it's not in any specific order):

Nicko McBrain (like a machine)
Mike Portnoy ("what J-Man said")
Mark Zonder (another technical monster, yet solid as a rock)
Sean Reinert (his dynamic drumming in Cynic never seizes to amaze me - it's flashy without losing its solidity)
Vinnie Paul (I really like his bass drum work in Pantera)
Per M. Jensen (his performance on "Weave the Apocalypse" and "Dying to Live" is amazing; sure, it was technical and flashy but never at the cost of rhythm)
Phil Rudd (doesn't get more solid than that)
Simon Wright (just as solid, and his work with Dio also offered some variation in his playing)
Cozy Powell (I really like his solid performance on the three Rainbow albums he appeared on)
Vinny Appice (I really like his heavy drumming on "Dehumanizer" and "The Devil You Know")
Carsten Nielsen (no fuss, no flash, just straight ahead old school punk-thrash drumming)
Vivi Di Bap (now a folk musician, and former drummer of the alt. metal band Impotators; I've had the pleasure of watching her perform live with Impotators, and, I can tell you, she rocks!)
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2010 at 10:33am
Originally posted by Silver Shade of Lead Silver Shade of Lead wrote:

How can you say no to this? Big smile

F**king brilliant Clap Rawks One of my favourites from them.

Another guy who deserves all the respect in the world is their guitarist who pulls off all the multilayered guitarparts live by looping as he plays.
<- Click on this!
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2010 at 10:52am
Forgot the two best drummers from Death...

Gene Hoglan and Sein Reinert. Both of these guys are absolute monsters! Rawks
Phonebook Eater View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phonebook Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2010 at 12:46pm
Neil Peart ( because of his innovating experimentation and monster technique.)
Mike Portnoy (like J Man said)
Gavin Harrison (his drumming is very fun to watch and he has an absolutely unique style)

These are my three main influences ( Yup, I play drums.)

My Album Reviews: http://audiopline.wordpress.com/
Movie Reviewing blog: http://moviepline.wordpress.com/
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Pessimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2010 at 1:34pm

The video speaks for itself.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2010 at 1:54pm
Cr*p! I forgot Hoglan and Peart! Unforgivable!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2010 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

I saw Suffocation a couple of years ago and I have exactly the same impression. One of the greatest death metal drummers out there.
NecronCommander View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NecronCommander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 9:20am
1. Brann Dailor (Of Mastodon- King of fills, and overall probably one of the best drummers in modern metal)
2. Sean Reinert (already spoken about)
3. Aaron Harris (Isis- A tom monster, he hita the drums hard as hell)
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 3:29pm
^ Forgot about Brann Dailor. He's really a BIG part of what makes Mastodon enjoyable IMO.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 12:18pm
Coming from PA, my 3 favorite drummers are probably Neil Peart, Bill Bruford, and Carl Palmer.   I'm not quite sure how these apply to the OP's post of "solid, not flashy, just down-right hard hitting drummers".  I would think that Palmer might still fall under this category, but I think that Peart and Bruford are more technically sound versus being hard hitting drummers.  Alan White might also qualify as a hard hitting drummer, but I think that I will try and stick with 3 metal drummers.  Again I am not sure how well they qualify but I've always enjoyed Alex Van Halen, Tommy Lee, and Ian Paice, so I think that these will be my answer.

Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 12:17pm
It is shoking that not one has mentioned the hardest hitting drummer yet.

the answer is Dave Grohl he bang hes kitt like a maniak and are 100% acurate all the time in over one hour he don't miss one stroke or fill or anything and grooves like h***ell http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4gSjh6xmm4

Matt Cameron is not a p*****'sy on the kit eather just watch hes preformance with Soundgarden at Lolapaloosa, Rusty Cage and Jesus Christ Pose http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRHfiB8vKuw 

and as Toto fan you can't just forgett to mention their two drummers Simon Phillips and Jeff Porcaro (RIP) and both were hard hitter (and subtle hitters) one of the greats on the kit  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvpEFwnfgdY

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 5:00am
Cozy Powell
John Bonham
Keith Moon

All three RIP, , which shows that if their drumming was solid, they were fragile in life)

Edited by Sean Trane - 08 Jul 2010 at 5:00am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic