MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2013 in Metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eria Tarka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 1:45am
I've been digging the debut Neige Eternelle album a lot lately, really makes me want to familiarize myself with more Canadian Black Metal.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 8:27pm
New Vaura album is out now, and on first listen it sounds great to me
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2013 at 12:33pm
I finally picked up the new Black Sabbath. It's pretty decent, Iommi's riffs are in fine form, and Ozzy's voice doesn't annoy me like it has on the past couple of Ozzy albums.

I have the DGM - Momentum album on the way too. Sounds very good in a Dream Theater/Symphony X kinda way from the couple of videos they have up on youtube.
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2013 at 10:31am
Well, my list includes Suicidal Tendencies, Carcass, Satan, Sodom, Gama Bomb, Leprous, Warbringer, Hell, Voivod, Alice in Chains, Fates Warning, Violator and Trallery. Also some other stuff that I should best not mention like Volbeat, Steven Wilson, Soilwork, Polkadot Cadaver, Avatarium, Protest the Hero and Mattias IA Eklundh's Freak Guitar.

edit: well, I wrote this first at a pure thrash metal forum. Now, it may make more sense! ;)

Zoom in (real dimensions: 350 x 350)Image

http://trallery.bandcamp.com/

Last place in the list (#20) is Trallery. I'd like to say a few words. They got there after one listen, amidst the frenzy of compiling my year-of-the-list inside the deadline. My first impressions were, "wow, this is a mess, style-wise, vocal-wise, all over the place..." But with some damn FINE passages. Like, best of the year stuff. So, I just stuck them at the end. Now, today, after many repeats, that album (Catalepsy, 2013) is among my favorite of the year. Normally it should appeal to any metalhead who loves both thrash and power (ballsy, German speed/power or King Diamond power...) and can handle his Coroner. Look out for three things:

1. The vocals. Many styles. Some jump at you when you least expect it. At some styles he sounds magnificently awesome. At others he sounds like he is struggling, borderline awkward. At all times he has this marvellous, 80s sensibility of going for it, no matter what - a thoroughly convincing metal attitude. Absolutely Spanish accent, blended with mimicking early german thrashers, the result is a delight to my ears. Scored a lot of points for me with each listen.

2. The riffs. Shit, listen to the whole album because there is a wealth of amazing passages throughout the adventurous songwriting. The latter is the point of contention for me. I think they have elements of over-indulgence, unecessary bridges perhaps or whatever. But I really appreciate the freedom of going where the song takes them, it usually works out REALLY well. This is their debut. They are a trio from Spain that started out as a Metallica tribute band. This is a fucking awesome first effort.

3. Odd moments: These include a song which is a power metal "ballad" with hard rock roots - and the obligatory metal bridge; a Coroner tech-thrash fest which worships Grin, switches to Mental Vortex and somewhere in there throws a (very convincing) swedothrash/death passage; the two small instrumentals. Riff-fests, like small overtures of a bag of themes, enough material for three songs; the final epic closer. That epic closer. Reminded me of my first days of falling in love with metal, some VERY exciting stuff happening there. Along with the awkward ones. 

Very much recommended.

Edited by Vic - 09 Dec 2013 at 10:32am
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earendil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2013 at 3:32pm
Obviously I haven't listened to that much metal from this year, but here's my 2013 metal list (in progress):

1. Kayo Dot - Hubardo (10/10)

2. Gorguts - Colored Sands (9/10)

3. Haken - The Mountain (7/10)

4. Ayreon - The Theory of Everything (7/10)

5. Riverside - Shrine of the New Generation of Slaves (7/10)

6. Black Sabbath - 13 (6/10)

7. Dream Theater - Dream Theater (6/10)

8. Deafheaven - Sunbather (5/10)

9. Avenged Sevenfold - Hail to the King (2/10)

Edited by Earendil - 09 Jan 2014 at 3:58pm
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 1:54pm
Given that I'm apparently the only person on this website who has listened to Vaura's album, and it's great,

http://www.profoundlorerecords.com/products-page/plr-items/vaura-the-missing/
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 1:57pm
You are not, I gave it my first listen earlier today, and I'm listening again now. 

EDIT: It's indeed quite fine. More straightforward than the first one. And not as good.

EDIT2: There are boobs on the cover, tho, which is an improvement over the first one.

EDIT3: Let's say it's a tie.

Edited by bartosso - 04 Jan 2014 at 12:48pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic