Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2013 in Metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2013 in Metal
    Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 3:10pm
This topic is obligatory is it not? And we had one for 2012 in 2012 before this date so it's overdue!

I believe I've been slower in 2013 than I was in 2012 for reviewing new releases, but I hit 20 today. Here is my equally obligatory Rate Your Music list of them: http://rateyourmusic.com/list/adg211288/2013_album_rankings

What albums from 2013 have you enjoyed so far? What are you looking forward to. Discuss here.

Edited by adg211288 - 06 Mar 2013 at 5:20pm
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 3:19pm
Well...I haven�t really begun reviewing many of the 2013 promos I have lying around, so these are the only albums I�ve had time to review (not all reviews are posted yet):

1. Helloween - Straight Out of Hell
2. Andy Winter - Incomprehensible
3. Hatchet - Dawn of the End
4. Suffocation - Pinnacle of Bedlam
5. Void of Sleep - Tales Between Reality and Madness

I�m not too crazy about the Helloween album, although it�s certainly decent, but the other releases have been quite a pleasure to review...
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 3:39pm
I have enjoyed quite a few new releases already.

Enforcer - Death By Fire
Darkthrone - The Underground Resistance
Manilla Road - Mysterium
Rotting Christ -  Κατά τον δαίμονα του εαυτού
Voivod - Target Earth (worse cover art of the year)

Lots more to come including Ghost & Dream Theater.

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 3:53pm
Here's my list over at RYM so far: http://rateyourmusic.com/list/J_Man/2013s_best_albums

I've heard a lot of other great releases that I haven't had the chance to review yet, but I'm hoping to get on those soon. The new Suffocation is something I've really been enjoying lately. Thumbs Up
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 4:22pm
All I've heard in full so far has been the new Tomahawk, Voivod, and Steven Wilson (which is not metal).  I've enjoyed them all though.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I�m not too crazy about the Helloween album, although it�s certainly decent, but the other releases have been quite a pleasure to review...

I thought it was solid but patchy. Some songs stood as some of the best from the Deris era for me but others as some of the worst. I gave it a 4 star range rating in the end but for me its a definite step down from their last couple of releases. 
GG2U

VargTheViking View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VargTheViking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 6:42pm
What I have listened to so far:
Darkthrone - The Underground Resistance
Helloween - Straight Out of Hell
Katalepsy - Autopsychosis
Manilla Road - Mysterium
Voivod - Target Earth

I liked 7 Sinners quite a deal more than Straight Out of Hell. That being said, it definitely has it's moments. So far I'd have to say my favourite of 2012 is Voivod's. I find myself going back to it and enjoying it just as much as the listen before. The new Darkthrone and Manilla Road are kickass too. Katalepsy released a pretty awesome album. I'm waiting to get the new Rotting Christ in the mail before I listen to it.

I find this year is pretty slow for me so far, considering I've only listened to 5 albums. There's a couple I need to get around to checking out (Suffocation's newest in particular).
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 8:06pm
holy grail ride the void
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 6:42am
Alright then I�ve just finished my review of the new free Meshuggah EP, so now my list looks like this:

1. Helloween - Straight Out of Hell
2. Andy Winter - Incomprehensible
3. Hatchet - Dawn of the End
4. Suffocation - Pinnacle of Bedlam
5. Void of Sleep - Tales Between Reality and Madness
6. Meshuggah - Pitch Black
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 8:55am
I'm waiting for new The Ruins of Beverast and Nokturnal Mortum.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 9:16am
I�m listening to this one right now, which I received as a promo from Prosthetic Records:
NERO DI MARTE - Nero di Marte cover

...quite a great surprise...sounds like a mix between Gojira and Ulcerate...

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 9:27am
I always have the following 2013 releases I've heard but haven't reviewed yet:

Attacker - Giants of Canaan
Lightning Swords of Death - Baphometic Chaosivm

And a lot of promos I haven't even listened to yet. 

These are the albums I'm looking forward to though:

A Sound of Thunder - Time's Arrow 
Avantasia - The Mystery of Time 
Factory of Dreams - Some Kind of Poetic Destruction 
Gamma Ray - Master of Confusion (EP)
Project: Roenwolfe - Neverwhere Dreamscape

GG2U

Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eria Tarka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2013 at 12:47pm
These have been my very favorite this year:

Riverside - Shrine of New Generation Slaves
Portal - Vexovoid
Saille - Ritu

Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2013 at 12:44pm
I really like the new Riverside, though it's probably the least metal of their albums.

The new Stratovarius is pretty decent, not great, but decent. I've liked all 3 albums that have Matias Kupiainen on guitar. I can't say the same about the Tolkki era...

edit: The new Circle II Circle is very good, I'd put it up there with their debut or Burden Of Truth (my personal fav)

I just got the new Steven Wilson in the mail, the plastic wrap is still on it as I type this....

Edited by Jbird - 09 Mar 2013 at 12:57pm
renkls View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renkls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 8:27am
I'm looking forward to the final Monolithe album in the series, which is in production at the moment, scheduled for release later this year (hopefully)
neckbeck View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neckbeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 9:13am
In Vain's so gooood
stroberg27 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stroberg27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 11:40am
Its not really Metal more along the lines of Power Violence I would say but it is amazing I would say Abandon All Life by Nails is the best I've heard this year so far.
Soilworks new album is pretty good though Melodic Death Metal isn't really my thing, and Suffocation's new album is pretty good, their best album since their reformation in my opinion.
stroberg27 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stroberg27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 11:43am
Also I found Portal's new album rather disappointing to be honest, I mean its good, just not up to the standards of their previous full lengths.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 12:18pm
I�m pretty interested in the new Nails...the last one was a kick in the faceHeadbanger
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 10:08am
I saw the new Nails CD in a record store a week or two ago, but didn't pick it up. I've been meaning to check out Nails for a while now. Too much music, too little time! LOL
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic