MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thrash Metal Fans Unite!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batnobbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 4:26am
I haven't heard much of Dew Scented nor The haunted. It's not my cup of tea, but I can see what you mean.
Efreeti
http://www.facebook.com/EfreetiBand
Fool Killers
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fool-Killers/189060934455407
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 4:53am
Originally posted by Batnobbit Batnobbit wrote:

And just to close this with a classic. It's from Celtic Frost's masterpiece Morbid Tales, one of my fav album of all time.
Celtic Frost - In the Crypt of Rays

I like the D-beat influences on that song. I means, it's very punky in many ways. For the record, I am a fan of all Celtic Frost's output.... even "Cold Lake".
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 2:22pm
I finally got around to taking a listen to the US thrash metal act Panic ( thanks for the recommendation AntonioClap). Man I really love their snarling "fuck you" attitude.

Put a bit of very early Megadeth, some Exodus and a big spoonful of Overkill in there and you�re just about there.

Edited by UMUR - 08 Jul 2011 at 2:58am
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I finally got around to taking a listen to the US thrash metal act Panic ( thanks for the recommendation AntonioClap). Man I really love their snarling "fuck you" attitude.

Haha LOL Good way to put it.  Yeah, his vocals are "almost" off key with the music but still fits!
And the music and riffage get a bit technical.

Also check this Entropy (which I featured on my long list) out as well, which has an even more angrier
vocal tone with a touch of funk but still has the technical Thrash thing going.

Now I JUST saw a mini-interview with them about their 3rd album (in 1992) called "Ashen Existence"
and when I heard a cut, I was amazed it was the same band-as they have added a bit more aggression
and "Cookie" Vocals into the 1 song, still pretty good stuff though:

(actually, the vocals are all over the place, but he maintains
that aggressive "chopping knife" staccato vocal style)

Heres one I like a lot (No Cookies):

I'll have to find this album out there Smile.

Canadian Interview (1991): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLiJGd0WddA&feature=player_embedded

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 08 Jul 2011 at 3:52am
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 2:59am
Damn Antonio, you empty my pocketsBig smile.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 3:40am
I strongly recommend this thrasher:

The band consists of people from Massacre, Death, D.R.I. and The Acc�sed, and it kicks ass!!!!
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 3:50am
Looks new and . . .

disgusting.  Wheres the link Mr. Signature? Wink

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 08 Jul 2011 at 3:50am
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 3:59am
Originally posted by MAVIIIVAM MAVIIIVAM wrote:

Looks new and . . .

disgusting.  Wheres the link Mr. Signature? Wink

It's actually not out yet, but I've heard a promo, and I liked it very much. It'll be out in August. Read more here.

Here's a preview (warning it's got cheesy horror elements in it):

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 4:43am
I have to get that oneHeadbanger
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 5:09pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 9:15am
Here's another recommendation - Dr. Livingdead and their pulp-themed crossover thrash

http://www.myspace.com/doctorlivingdead/music
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 1:34pm
I�m listening to this one at the moment:
.. Album Cover

Anyone knows this band?
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

Here's another recommendation - Dr. Livingdead and their pulp-themed crossover thrash

Their releases are free for download, right?
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 6:31am
It�s not long ago that I reviewed their debut album, which BTW is a fine piece of technical thrash metal, but this second album is mindblowing to say the least. That�s of course if you can take the extremely high pitched vocals. The vocal melodies take a long time to get into too, but after a couple of spins they begin to unfold.
.. Album Cover
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 6:41am
Originally posted by Tupan Tupan wrote:

Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

Their releases are free for download, right?

Maybe their first couple of EPs and demos are. I don't know about their 2011 album, which is released on High Roller Records.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

It�s not long ago that I reviewed their debut album, which BTW is a fine piece of technical thrash metal, but this second album is mindblowing to say the least. That�s of course if you can take the extremely high pitched vocals. The vocal melodies take a long time to get into too, but after a couple of spins they begin to unfold.
.. Album Cover

You probably know Umur, that this is in my Top 10 Best Thrash Metal Albums of all time!
This is a Masterpiece Big smile.  Almost got a hold of an LP version long ago, but I have the
1st printing on CD and the Re-Release with the Bonus Track - "One more Red Nightmare"
by King Crimson Smile.

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 3:59pm
After you told me about the re-releases I ordered both the debut and Suiciety. Great purchases they turned out to be. Highly recommendable to fans of technical/ progressive thrash metal.

I actually read a review of Suiciety back in 1990 or 1991, and I�ve been looking for the album ever since. Until the re-release in 2006 I didn�t have any luck.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 4:45pm
The one that was toughest to find was there Debut album "Endless War" . . .
I had (and still have) the LP but I had only seen it once on CD, that my friend found in the same
store we were shopping at, he got to it before I did Tongue.   That was decades ago.
Somebody burned a CD for me from my LP but it was awful, thank goodness for the (Limited)
Re-Releases.
They were the 1st Thrash Band to use Guitar Synths as well.  There was something different
about these guys, I started noticing a few other bands doing more than just "speedy" riffs all
the way through.  There was some intricate compositions going on here, and they were talking
about topical subjects (and Fantastical) instead of the standard Horror.
I then became a bigger fan of the "Tech-Thrash" that started to rise among the rest Smile.

Realm like to use the "Stereo Space" as well, and cool atmospheric sounds in the background,
I appreciate that.

For those who havent seen the other thread:

Suiciety:

(Listen to the nice "subtleties" toward the end . . . brilliant!)

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 05 Aug 2011 at 7:17pm

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 5:32pm
Eminence reminds me a lot of what Fates Warning would do a couple of years later on Perfect Symmetry.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 1:52am
Man! . . .

I am AMAZED that this Documentary doesnt have more publicity.

I was just curious to see if Vimeo (because of a great Prog Doc called "Prog / Film") had a Thrash Metal
Doc.  And there was this Trailer:

Unfortunately the whole Film wasnt on, but on YOUtube, someone had a terribly "Over Dubbed" version
in Russian, but a fellow Latino (Saludos!) put it up under a different title:

(see parts)

"Get Thrashed: The Story of Thrash Metal" has to be one of the most accurate and concise Docs about
the genre I have seen (and so far, I'm only on Part 3 -THATS how great it is Wink).
This has got me thinking about the greats that started it and has made me appreciate those that I had
maybe-not gave enough cred, but also - for the younger audience of todays Metal scene, it is recorded
proof that, whatever these "kids/trolls" vomit about their limited knowledge on what they "like" and think
are the best thing since the boogers they ate as toddlers, THIS film shows you 1st hand from their
witnesses to influencing them to pick-up Guitars and becoming who they are today . . .

To the Thousand upon Thousands of bands that have taken up the banners in the genre and sub-genres
they influenced.  You will also see plenty of familiar faces talking about the scene and how it shaped
them, many becoming the Bands currently on top of the game.  I will definitely go out and buy this DVD.

Watch

Learn

Experience

And Bang your Head  Headbanger

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>
  Share Topic