Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio, May 16, 2010

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio, May 16, 2010
    Posted: 16 May 2010 at 2:32pm
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=140129

What can one say... A hell of a vocalist for the heavenly orchestra.
<- Click on this!
Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

MP3 Addition Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reed Lover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 2:35pm
It only seems a couple of months ago that his fight against cancer was announced.

One of the very greatest rock vocalists and very influential.

Play Stargazer in his memory:

http://www.progarchives.com/mp3.asp?id=3254

Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

MP3 Addition Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reed Lover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 2:40pm
http://www.ronniejamesdio.com/

Message from Wendy Dio

Today my heart is broken, Ronnie passed away at 7:45am 16th May. Many, many friends and family were able to say their private good-byes before he peacefully passed away. Ronnie knew how much he was loved by all. We so appreciate the love and support that you have all given us. Please give us a few days of privacy to deal with this terrible loss. Please know he loved you all and his music will live on forever.

- Wendy Dio

Edited by Reed Lover - 16 May 2010 at 2:44pm
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 3:00pm
I am devastatedCry. The whole thing brought back memories of my mom's illness and passing, only a few years ago. We were lucky to see him perform last year with Heaven and Hell. He seemed such a force of nature... I just can't believe he's gone. 
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 3:04pm
Holy shit! I didn't even know he was ill! This is really sad news man. Cry
NJCat_11 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJCat_11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 3:10pm
I'm shocked.  I had no idea he had cancer.  His legendary voice will be sorely missed.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 3:15pm
Ouch one of the great ones. He will be missed.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 3:41pm
This is a real tragedy. I knew he had cancer, but I'm still shocked by this fact. He will be greatly missed.Rock in peace Dio. Cry
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 3:42pm
Damn.  I just read a few hours ago about a false death announcement and his wife said that he was not dead, but it was not looking good.

I'll have to work some Dio related listening into my schedule today.  R.I.P. Cry
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 5:23pm
Just got this news on PrOgulus.com,
This is what I wrote at the Forum:

http://www.progulus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=6783#6783
(many folks know on the Station what a HUGE Rainbow/Dio-Sabbath fan I am...)

Thats really fucked up . . .

Well, I'm sure many can imagine what I'm feeling, just take a look at my Icon for the past few months Cry.

I can't tell you what I feel for Ronnie James Dio, his music and especially his contributions to Rainbow.
His songs were EPIC and full of emotion, I used to stare at his Live on Stage Pics that were like portraits
of a Dramatic Actor.  I think he lived those lyrics at those moments, and he felt the surge of emotions
from the crowd.  He re-vitalized Black Sabbath and brought them a new legion of Fans.
His lyrics were, prolific, intelligent and sometimes esoteric, and he played with some of the most talented
musicians in music (let-alone Heavy Metal).
Even though I missed seeing him in Black Sabbath/Heaven & Hell, I'd seen him numerous times with his
own Band "Dio".  The Holy Diver Tour, Last in Line, Sacred Heart and I believe for Lock up the Wolves.
The last time I saw them, about 5 years ago, to my amazement he sang Rainbow's  "Tarot Woman",
"Gates of Babylon" and "Stargazer"!  I thought I'd never see the day.  His voice was perfect that night, as
if he were young again.  It was appropriate that night that their was a HUGE Blood Red Full Moon out.
The next day ironically, my Father passed away  Unhappy.

I always wanted to meet him, just to chat, about Life, Art, History and Music, because it seemed those
were the things that meant a great deal to him, as well as his Family.  From every Interview I've seen, he
seemed like a gentle and kind man.
Your voice is eternal, may you watch over your family and give them comfort. I'm sure you see us
shed tears for you and we'll do our best to carry on the the banner and cry...

LONG LIVE!!! ROCK AND ROLL!!!!

Be at peace my friend, and God be with you Cry . . .

To lose the "Iconic" Fantasy Artist "Frank Frazetta" last Sunday, now Dio, this is too much Unhappy

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 17 May 2010 at 6:47am
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 5:29pm
He was reported to have recoverd from stomach cancer some weeks ago and now we learn that he dies. Now he can play cards with John Bonham and Elvis Presley in heaven, in the manner of the angels deicted on the 'heaven & hell' album cover.

on and on, on and on it's.. heaven and hell...alright !

RuneWalsh2112 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RuneWalsh2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 5:29pm
This was a huge blow indeed!
Just when I started getting into the first Heaven And Hell-release CryCryCry

He will be truly missed! R.I.P.

Wait... are those suspenders?!?
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

He was reported to have recoverd from stomach cancer some weeks ago and now we learn that he dies. Now he can play cards with John Bonham and Elvis Presley in heaven, in the manner of the angels deicted on the 'heaven & hell' album cover.

on and on, on and on it's.. heaven and hell...alright !

No kidding Lucas! Smile and his old co-hort from Rainbow, the great Cozy Powell Cry

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 16 May 2010 at 5:45pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 5:51pm

Ironically, I was actually listening to Dio when I first read the bad news! I am in the middle of reviewing all the Dio albums... as Wendy said, his music will live forever
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 7:15pm
Horrible news. I'm totally shocked. What a sad loss. His music will live on forever.
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 8:32pm
Cry
alberto mu�oz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alberto mu�oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Morningrise Morningrise wrote:

Horrible news. I'm totally shocked. What a sad loss. His music will live on forever.

This
PROGMAN View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROGMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 9:06pm
Shocked  When will it stop, all these deaths.

Cry Horrible news.

He had a great voice on him, he was in a few of my all time favourite bands, RIP Ronnie James Dio.
Stephen View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 9:21pm
RIP Ronnie James Dio
he truly will be missed Cry

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 9:22pm
Anybody get the chance to see him live in concert?

I saw Dio at the Molson Amphitheater in Toronto with two other legendary acts, Iron Maiden and Motorhead in 2003.  What stands out the most in my head was when they played "Heaven and Hell".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic