R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio, May 16, 2010

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2010 at 10:12am
Definitely sad news.  Dio is one of my all-time favorite metal vocalists (as I am sure he is many other metal fans).  There was definitely a time during the 80's when he was my favorite.  I can remember talking to a guy who worked at a local record store about him, and the next time I came to the store he had made cassette copies of his albums with Elf.  Totally different from what I was used to from him, but still definitely him.  I only had the chance to see him live once and that was on the Lock Up The Wolves tour when he was touring with Yngwie Malmsteen.  It was definitely a memorable show.  R.I.P. to one of the greatest metalheads of all time.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2010 at 9:52am
Lots of rock/metal musicians are paying tribute to the man.  Tony Iommi wrote something, but I haven't read it yet.  Blackmore's statement seemed rather brief.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/

It's amusing reading the comments on blabbermouth as people are pushing for them to put up a memorial banner for Dio, but so far nothing.

Edited by Stooge - 17 May 2010 at 9:53am
1967/ 1976 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967/ 1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2010 at 8:53am
I'm because my

Edited by 1967/ 1976 - 17 May 2010 at 8:54am
Phonebook Eater View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phonebook Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2010 at 6:56am
Dio was one of the most talented musicians in metal. His great voice has accompanied me through all my hardest years, always giving me strength to go ahead. 
R.I.P. Ronnie, and may his music be remembered for ever!Rawks
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2010 at 3:28am
OMG...

RIP, Ronnie.

ROCK IN PERPETUITY!!!

Rawks

I only saw him live once, on the "Last in Line" tour in 1983 at Hammersmith Odeon - but that was an experience to last me a lifetime.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2010 at 2:25am
God damn what awful news to wake up to.

A true legend who will be sadly missed Cry

I was so so lucky to see him with Black Sabbath in 1980; such an awesome entertainer.

Thanks Ronnie Clap
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2010 at 1:32am
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

Anybody get the chance to see him live in concert?

I saw Dio at the Molson Amphitheater in Toronto with two other legendary acts, Iron Maiden and Motorhead in 2003.  What stands out the most in my head was when they played "Heaven and Hell".

I saw Dio live in Copenhagen a few years ago when they headlined a 'mini festival' with three bands. The other two were Uriah Heep and Asia (the John Payne-version). I actually came there primarily to see Uriah Heep, but while I was slightly disappointed with Heep's performance, Asia, and especially Dio, were very positive surprises. Dio opened their set with Rainbow's Tarot Woman! And they played a great extended version of Sabbath's Heaven And Hell together with some of the best Dio songs. Possibly the best concert I have ever been to (with the possible exception of Jethro Tull this year)!
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2010 at 1:13am

The death of a legend... Damn. Dio influenced a great many players. This is indeed a sad day for metal.

Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
NorseGangsta View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorseGangsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 9:25pm
I am very saddened by this news and I cried when I heard. Dio shaped what metal is today and we miss him dearly, but he will live on forever through his music. Roch In Peace.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 9:22pm
Anybody get the chance to see him live in concert?

I saw Dio at the Molson Amphitheater in Toronto with two other legendary acts, Iron Maiden and Motorhead in 2003.  What stands out the most in my head was when they played "Heaven and Hell".
Stephen View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 9:21pm
RIP Ronnie James Dio
he truly will be missed Cry

PROGMAN View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROGMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 9:06pm
Shocked  When will it stop, all these deaths.

Cry Horrible news.

He had a great voice on him, he was in a few of my all time favourite bands, RIP Ronnie James Dio.
alberto mu�oz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alberto mu�oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Morningrise Morningrise wrote:

Horrible news. I'm totally shocked. What a sad loss. His music will live on forever.

This
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 8:32pm
Cry
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 7:15pm
Horrible news. I'm totally shocked. What a sad loss. His music will live on forever.
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 5:51pm

Ironically, I was actually listening to Dio when I first read the bad news! I am in the middle of reviewing all the Dio albums... as Wendy said, his music will live forever
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

He was reported to have recoverd from stomach cancer some weeks ago and now we learn that he dies. Now he can play cards with John Bonham and Elvis Presley in heaven, in the manner of the angels deicted on the 'heaven & hell' album cover.

on and on, on and on it's.. heaven and hell...alright !

No kidding Lucas! Smile and his old co-hort from Rainbow, the great Cozy Powell Cry

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 16 May 2010 at 5:45pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
RuneWalsh2112 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RuneWalsh2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 5:29pm
This was a huge blow indeed!
Just when I started getting into the first Heaven And Hell-release CryCryCry

He will be truly missed! R.I.P.

Wait... are those suspenders?!?
lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 5:29pm
He was reported to have recoverd from stomach cancer some weeks ago and now we learn that he dies. Now he can play cards with John Bonham and Elvis Presley in heaven, in the manner of the angels deicted on the 'heaven & hell' album cover.

on and on, on and on it's.. heaven and hell...alright !

MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 5:23pm
Just got this news on PrOgulus.com,
This is what I wrote at the Forum:

http://www.progulus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=6783#6783
(many folks know on the Station what a HUGE Rainbow/Dio-Sabbath fan I am...)

Thats really fucked up . . .

Well, I'm sure many can imagine what I'm feeling, just take a look at my Icon for the past few months Cry.

I can't tell you what I feel for Ronnie James Dio, his music and especially his contributions to Rainbow.
His songs were EPIC and full of emotion, I used to stare at his Live on Stage Pics that were like portraits
of a Dramatic Actor.  I think he lived those lyrics at those moments, and he felt the surge of emotions
from the crowd.  He re-vitalized Black Sabbath and brought them a new legion of Fans.
His lyrics were, prolific, intelligent and sometimes esoteric, and he played with some of the most talented
musicians in music (let-alone Heavy Metal).
Even though I missed seeing him in Black Sabbath/Heaven & Hell, I'd seen him numerous times with his
own Band "Dio".  The Holy Diver Tour, Last in Line, Sacred Heart and I believe for Lock up the Wolves.
The last time I saw them, about 5 years ago, to my amazement he sang Rainbow's  "Tarot Woman",
"Gates of Babylon" and "Stargazer"!  I thought I'd never see the day.  His voice was perfect that night, as
if he were young again.  It was appropriate that night that their was a HUGE Blood Red Full Moon out.
The next day ironically, my Father passed away  Unhappy.

I always wanted to meet him, just to chat, about Life, Art, History and Music, because it seemed those
were the things that meant a great deal to him, as well as his Family.  From every Interview I've seen, he
seemed like a gentle and kind man.
Your voice is eternal, may you watch over your family and give them comfort. I'm sure you see us
shed tears for you and we'll do our best to carry on the the banner and cry...

LONG LIVE!!! ROCK AND ROLL!!!!

Be at peace my friend, and God be with you Cry . . .

To lose the "Iconic" Fantasy Artist "Frank Frazetta" last Sunday, now Dio, this is too much Unhappy

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 17 May 2010 at 6:47am
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic