MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I've gone metal thrashing mad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2010 at 2:52pm
I'm not really sure if I can add anything to this thread.  I'm pretty sure that most of the thrash that i was listening to during the 80's and 90's has already been mentioned:

Metallica - Kill 'Em All, Ride The Lightning, Master of Puppets, and Justice For All
Megadeth - Killing Is My Business; Peace Sells; So Far So Good So What; Rust In Peace; Countdown To Extinction.
Anthrax - Among the Living; I Am The Man; State of Euphoria (I didn't get Spreading the Disease until much later).
Exodus - Impact is Imminent
Suicidal Tendencies - How Can I Laugh Tomorrow...When I Can't Even Smile Today
Judas Priest - You pick 'em, I loved them all; even Turbo though not really thrash.
Wrathchild America - Climbing the Walls
Flotsam and Jetsam - Doomsday for the Deceiver and No Place for Disgrace

A couple that I don't think were mentioned that I really liked:

Metal Church - The Dark and Blessing in Disguise (The guitarist later formed the prog rock band Presto Ballet, who in my opinion released an absolute masterpiece with The Lost Art of Time Travel).

Motorhead - Ace of Spades

Voivod - Dimension Hatross; Angel Rat; and The Outer Limits

Edited by rushfan4 - 16 Jul 2010 at 3:32pm
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2010 at 3:43pm
Big fan of Voivod here, though of course I prefer their 'prog' albums (Nothingface and The Outer Limits are particular favourites of mine). I also second Metal Church. Their debut album features a cover of "Highway Star" that's just insane. And I just LOVE Anthrax's Spreading the Disease, while I have always found Among the Living somewhat disappointing. 
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2010 at 3:49pm
Speaking of thrash metal, I just saw at a local record store that Suicidal Tendencies' debut album has been re-issued on vinyl.  I didn't feel like grabbing it today, but I could see myself getting it in the future.  I'm not too big a fan of them apart from some select songs, but it would be a worthwhile purchase IMO for Institutionalized alone.  What was the name of the album that they rerecorded it on?  I think my brother owned that one.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2010 at 3:53pm
Institutionalized was a cool song.  I used to have that album but I ended up selling it back to the record store.  I didn't like it as much as I liked their follow-up albums.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2010 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

Speaking of thrash metal, I just saw at a local record store that Suicidal Tendencies' debut album has been re-issued on vinyl.  I didn't feel like grabbing it today, but I could see myself getting it in the future.  I'm not too big a fan of them apart from some select songs, but it would be a worthwhile purchase IMO for Institutionalized alone.  What was the name of the album that they rerecorded it on?  I think my brother owned that one.

It was a Self Titled album Wink.
The boys from Venice California hit big with that song! Though the album is Hardcore Punk (and the
so-called "Skater Punk"- see the movie "Dogtown and Z-Boys"), they would also influence the "Crossover"
scene and the next albums become more Thrash.  I never owned that album Confused but listened to many
cuts from a Punk friend of mine when it came out.
Venice was a much grittier town in those days, I lived there about 15 years ago when they cleaned it up
and miss it very much Cry.

I have my Metal Church and Flotsam & Jetsam faves in my next list Smile.

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 16 Jul 2010 at 4:05pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2010 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by MAVIIIVAM MAVIIIVAM wrote:

Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

It was a Self Titled album Wink.
The boys from Venice California hit big with that song! Though the album is Hardcore Punk (and the
so-called "Skater Punk"- see the movie "Dogtown and Z-Boys"), they would also influence the "Crossover"
scene and the next albums become more Thrash.  I never owned that album Confused but listened to many
cuts from a Punk friend of mine when it came out.
Venice was a much grittier town in those days, I lived there about 15 years ago when they cleaned it up
and miss it very much Cry.

I have my Metal Church and Flotsam & Jetsam faves in my next list Smile.

The self-titled one was the one at the record store.  Upon further research, my brother owned "Still Cyco After All These years".

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/suicidal-tendencies--still-cyco-after-all-these-years.aspx

I'm not sure whether or not I liked the re-recordings better than the originals.  I never owned their debut, but have heard the original version of Institutionalized.

LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 9:45am
^ what is Testament - The Warning? Confused Do you mean The Legacy?
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2010 at 5:23am
Having seen Suicidal live earlier this summer, my interest in the band was reawakened. I think that "How Will I Laugh Tomorrow..." and "Lights... Camera... Revolution" by Suicidal Tendencies are cross-over thash metal classics. "Join the Army" ain't bad either ;-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image