Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Read Books

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:15pm
I got to around page 550 and haven't continued reading it for a while. I will continue at some point, but I've been distracted by gaming a lot, plus I wasn't really feeling it. Even when something big finally happened, it was pretty much spoiled a few hundred pages ago, so I was bored, left hoping for a plot twist or something that hasn't yet come. I feel that series badly needs a twist or something, because the main conflict isn't interesting me at all, though it could also just be I'm burnt out because of how damn long it is.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 1:13pm
I'd say there's a pretty major plot twist at the end of this one. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I'd say there's a pretty major plot twist at the end of this one. 

Actually make that two major plot twists, since I only just twigged a reference about another character. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 4:34am
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 2:01pm
I'd set myself the challenge of 20 books for the year on Good Reads. I'm up to 30 so far.Smile
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2021 at 8:20am
Just finished reading The Serpentwar Saga by Raymond E Feist. It's been bloody years since I'd last read any of his books and it took some picking up again, but I enjoyed the series although I'm not sure it really needed to be stretched to four books. 

I'm on a break from fantasy again now and have just started the first Wallander novel by Henning Mankell, Faceless Killers. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2021 at 9:13am
I´m still slowly crawling through "Rotting Ways to Misery- The History of Finnish Death Metal". It´s an interesting read and I´ve learned a lot about the early Finnish death metal scene and have discovered a few artists I didn´t know before, but also discovered quite a few interesting things about artists like Funebre, Sentenced, and Amorphis, who I already knew a lot about.

Actually this morning (inspired by the chapter about Sentenced) I wrote reviews for the first six releases in the Sentenced discography (three demos, two albums, and an EP.
DeathofMan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathofMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 11:17pm
I mostly read graphic novels and manga. Lately, I've been getting really into Japanese horror. I've been reading "The Drifting Classroom" by Kazuo Umezz.

I like it a lot. It's about a school which is teleported to the future where the whole world is a desert. Most of the book is the kids trying and failing to form a society as they run out of resources. There's also a lot of murder. Like 20 - 50 people die every chapter. It's really intense and kinda disturbing.

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2022 at 6:20am
Just read Ready Player One. Turns out the film threw most of the novel out. 

Not surprising though. Not much of the book reads like it would translate well to the screen. 

Personally I enjoyed both. Though mainly for the ton of pop culture references. 

Just started the second book. Although it starts with one of my most hated sequel plot devices, so I'm less than thirty pages in and already pissed off. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2022 at 5:59pm
Armada is better than Ready Player Two.

I'm currently on Terminal Shock by Neal Stephenson (paper book), which I am reading very slowly. It's streets ahead of Fall, or Dodge in Hell.

Also reading The Difference Engine by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling (ebook), which basically kicked steampunk into life.

Also listening to One Shot by Lee Child (audiobook), although that's going very slowly as I'm not doing much driving at the moment, and that's where I do my listening.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 7:39am
I ultimately enjoyed Ready Player Two. But if there's a criticism to be made it's that it seemed to feel written for the sole purpose of providing material for a second movie (which is in development). 

Also I picked up at least two references in it that Cline got wrong. And one of them was about Helloween. What should have been a cool nod to power metal quickly turned into a 'dude do your fucking research' moment. There are only three Keeper of the Seven Keys albums, not four as stated by Cline. 

Also considering the general eighties obsession prevalent in the series, Cline should have known Burton's Batman was an eighties film, not a nineties film. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 5:12pm

Also I picked up at least two references in it that Cline got wrong. And one of them was about Helloween. What should have been a cool nod to power metal quickly turned into a 'dude do your fucking research' moment. There are only three Keeper of the Seven Keys albums, not four as stated by Cline. 

I remember thinking "fuck have I missed one?" because I don't know Helloween's discography that well.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 2:37am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

I remember thinking "fuck have I missed one?" because I don't know Helloween's discography that well.

It seems obvious that Cline got his info from a Wikipedia page that says it's four because they released a live album from the third one's tour, rather than actually having any knowledge of the band. Um, no...

Either that or Cline decided to speculate that they'd make a fourth one eventually, but I doubt it since Cline isn't otherwise apt to make up references for the time between the books are written and when they're set. No, I can picture him now Googling for any seven references he could use for the story and didn't fact check. 

It's amazing that he didn't hit on and use Iron Maiden's Seventh Son of Seventh Son as a reference point. Given that the Halliday character was into hard rock and metal (Rush's 2112 was a plot point in the first book after all) it seems pretty much a cert he would know that album and any gunter worth their salt would have at least checked it out. 

Edited by adg211288 - 03 Jun 2022 at 2:40am
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 2:42am
Anyway, I just started reading the final Shannara series by Terry Brooks. One of the first fantasy authors I read, I've been holding off this last series until I had all four books to read on the trot. I feel like the series was past its best a long time ago, but I'm determined to finish them. 
GG2U

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 10:28am
I've been in comic book mode lately after getting an Amazon Fire tablet to read digital comics and magazines on. I've got these DVD-ROMs with 40+ years of Amazing Spider-Man, Incredible Hulk, Fantastic Four, and Silver Surfer. I've owned the Hulk set for years, but only read a few years' worth of the earliest issues. I'll have to look for the most interesting of the story arcs to make the most efficient use of these volumes.

I'm going to shift back into paperback mode soon and resume the book I was previously reading, Bug Jack Barron by Norman Spinrad. Pretty neat book dealing with a tv show host who delves deep into political issues beginning with the right of a citizen regarding access to cryogenic freezing facilities.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2022 at 7:38am
I just finished reading this yesterday:

Quite a mammoth tome of 800+ pages. The pacing is quite slow burning, but the prose is some of the most compellingly descriptive I've ever read. The genre mishmash is also incredibly well executed. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 5:39am
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2022 at 12:52pm

That didn't take many days to read. Been eagerly waiting for this one for a while. I won't say anything about it since I know there's at least one other person here who reads Sanderson, but this did not disappoint. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2022 at 10:18pm
I've just finished the first trilogy. Will investigate soon.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2022 at 1:08am
One thing I will say about The Lost Metal is that if you're not also up to date with The Stormlight Archive, then this has a massive spoiler for Rhythm of War in it. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
  Share Topic