MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yet another PA jumper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yet another PA jumper
    Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 11:35am
Hi, everyone.

My name is Andrey Gaganov. I came from Russia and lived in the USofA for almost seven years. All this time that I've listened to music I never really got into metal, honestly. All proto-metal and hard rock, King Crimson and Led Zeppelin. (Starless and Bible Black is my top 5 favorite album of all time.) I've heard Pain of Salvation's Perfect Element, Part I once in its entirety, and music-wise it hasn't really clicked with me yet. So, I guess, that's one reason why I came here: to taste metal. The label "experimental metal" sounds very promising since I'm quite keen on experimental music. That said, I like to think of myself as a metal virgin. Do you guys know any metal albums in the spirit of Robert Fripp's approach towards guitar-playing or anything that sounds like Faust or Einst�rzende Neubauten?

Another reason, the one that eventually got me to join the MMA forum, is the following:
Does anybody around here know any concept albums (metal or not) that involve the matter of torture? And if you do have a buttload of those, hit me with one that you think is really consistent, one that is as a whole greater than the sum of its parts.

Cheers,
Andrey.

PS: Thank you, Jonas, for helping me out with the account.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 11:58am
No problem Thumbs Up and welcome to MMA.

...if you wish to gain a deeper understanding of metal as a genre I�d suggest that you go through the various sub genres on MMA and familiarize yourself with some of the most popular albums in the sub genres. That should take you about a year LOL.

...if you are mostly interested in experimental metal I�d go the avant garde sub genre of MMA.

Edited by UMUR - 11 Feb 2013 at 12:08pm
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 1:46pm
Welcome to MMA and greetings from Scotland. A lot of extreme / experimental Metal comes with the "baggage" of extreme vocals. Do these put you off the music as there is no point suggesting bands that you might hate because of the vocal style?
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Does anybody around here know any concept albums (metal or not) that involve the matter of torture? And if you do have a buttload of those, hit me with one that you think is really consistent, one that is as a whole greater than the sum of its parts.

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/wormphlegm--in-an-excruciating-way-infested-with-vermin-and-violated-by-executioners-who-practise-incendiarism-and-desanctifying-the-pious.aspx

A 32 minute long funeral doom piece, I say that's consistent.  I haven't listened to it myself, nor have I listened to their full-length in a long time, but I remember that one being pretty good.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 2:51pm
^ Noted. Thanks. Smile
Originally posted by Daysbetween Daysbetween wrote:

Welcome to MMA and greetings from Scotland. A lot of extreme / experimental Metal comes with the "baggage" of extreme vocals. Do these put you off the music as there is no point suggesting bands that you might hate because of the vocal style?
I think it strongly depends. So far of all the screamo metal stuff that I've heard I've found nothing to my liking. Contrary to that, I don't mind Pete Hammill's voice at all (in fact I quite enjoy it), though that's not metal. Just an idea. Again, I think it strongly depends.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - 11 Feb 2013 at 2:51pm
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 3:23pm
Hi Andrey, I know that both Jonas and Liam are familiar with the band, but as they didn't mention it, I will. If you don't mind noise and drone, you should check out Gnaw Their Tongues, especially All the Dread Magnificence of Perversity album which is probably the most focused on the subject you've mentioned.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 4:55pm
^ Thanks so much. Will look into it.
Sheavy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 8:10pm
Hey man. Glad to see you here.

As for torture try out Naked City's album Leng T'che http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/naked-city--leng-tche.aspx

Concept based on death by a thousand cuts.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 8:23pm
BTW, here's that full Wormphlegm song:

Sheavy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 8:23pm
Also, I'm not quite sure what you mean in relations to Faust and EN sounding, so I'm assuming you mean something noisey and repetitive?

If so you should check out Skullflower, Sunn O))), Earth, and Aluk Todolo.

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by Sheavy Sheavy wrote:

Also, I'm not quite sure what you mean in relations to Faust and EN sounding, so I'm assuming you mean something noisy and repetitive. If so, you should check out Skullflower, Sunn O))), Earth, and Aluk Todolo.
Exactly what I meant. Thanks for the suggestions, man. 

Edited by Dayvenkirq - 11 Feb 2013 at 11:55pm
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 1:11am
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Hi, everyone.

My name is Andrey Gaganov. I came from Russia and lived in the USofA for almost seven years. All this time that I've listened to music I never really got into metal, honestly. All proto-metal and hard rock, King Crimson and Led Zeppelin. (Starless and Bible Black is my top 5 favorite album of all time.) I've heard Pain of Salvation's Perfect Element, Part I once in its entirety, and music-wise it hasn't really clicked with me yet. So, I guess, that's one reason why I came here: to taste metal. The label "experimental metal" sounds very promising since I'm quite keen on experimental music. That said, I like to think of myself as a metal virgin. Do you guys know any metal albums in the spirit of Robert Fripp's approach towards guitar-playing or anything that sounds like Faust or Einst�rzende Neubauten?

Another reason, the one that eventually got me to join the MMA forum, is the following:

Cheers,
Andrey.

PS: Thank you, Jonas, for helping me out with the account.

Welcome aboard to MMA,.Andrey Handshake, too Censored bad it's not as active as PA

(Starless and Bible Black is my top 5 favorite album of all time.) Make sense,man Tongue I think you meant it is in my top 5 favorite albums of all time Wink

Hey You Tongue. I suggest if you're a metal virgin to start up with the first Sabbath album then explore the rest of their catalogue and then move on from there. For experimental stuff just search for  "Experimental Metal" on Google or something

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - 01 May 2013 at 1:15am
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Sheavy Sheavy wrote:

Also, I'm not quite sure what you mean in relations to Faust and EN sounding, so I'm assuming you mean something noisey and repetitive?

If so you should check out Skullflower, Sunn O))), Earth, and Aluk Todolo.

also check Electric Wizard, Bongripper, UFOMammut, Sleep and YOB

Smoke 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic