MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Report bugs here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sub Genre Missing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sub Genre Missing
    Posted: 10 May 2010 at 9:10am
M@x /Phil,

I have just added Paul Dale Band and whilst you will see the genre against their name in the New Metal Artist list they have not had their sub- genre added in their profile which also means they do not appear in the list of NWoBHM artists.

I have noticed this on 2 other additions Mark (Certif1ed) has made, Vermilion and Toad The Wet Sprocket.

Is it us doing something wrong or a bug?
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 9:15am
Since MMA is album - based for genre. 

Until the discography of a newly added artist is empty , they cannot appear in no sub-genre list.
graphix View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graphix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 9:21am
Colt, FYI, as long as an artist has no albums, the sub-genre of the artist stay "undetermined"... because sub-genre is determined at album level. In some cases, recently added artists has no sub-genre yet because the artist's probably waiting for albums to be added (or needs a MusicBrainz import).

For Vermilion and Toad The Wet Sprocket, I'll have to check if we need an improvement in our algorithm since not all types of albums are "artist genre defining" (in these cases, Vermilion and TTWS only contains singles which are not genre defining).

Thanks
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 10:15am
Thanks for the prompt replies guys.

I see what you are saying, no album no sub-genre even though the band may have released many records.

Just a question for you, if a visitor came to the site to research the NWoBHM genre (a sub-genre notorious for 7" and 12" only releases) Would they expect to see all the NWoBHM bands listed?

I think maybe they would. In which case should the sub-genre be defined by releases and not just albums?

Off the top of my head, of the 500+ NWoBHM bands less than half will have released an album. Is the final list going to be fully representative of the sub-genre?

Just a thought for you to consider.

m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 11:17am
Any kind of releases EP, demo , live, boxset, albums will make the artists appears in the genre page lists.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 11:23am
Originally posted by m@x m@x wrote:

Any kind of releases EP, demo , live, boxset, albums will make the artists appears in the genre page lists.

...but not singles?
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 11:24am
all of them ;-)
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 11:28am
LOL
Sorry M@x if I'm being a pain but thats not what Phil says above.

Originally posted by graphix graphix wrote:

For Vermilion and Toad The Wet Sprocket, I'll have to check if we need an improvement in our algorithm since not all types of albums are "artist genre defining" (in these cases, Vermilion and TTWS only contains singles which are not genre defining).

Thanks

I checked the band I added today and the two bands in Phil's quote and they are still not showing in the list, in which case its a bug or something needs to be altered.
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 11:29am
Sorry I was confusing two things when I answered, I am checking this out with Graphix now.
graphix View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graphix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 2:10pm
OK. We are now including SINGLES as a sub-genre defining album type. Artists such as VERMILION and TTWS are now displayed in their appropriate sub-genre page (NWoBHM) Thumbs Up

For your info, here are the album types that are sub-genre defining
  • Album
  • EP
  • Single
  • Split
  • Demo

Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 2:23pm
Thumbs Up

Thanks Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic