MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cathedral - The Guessing Game

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cathedral - The Guessing Game
    Posted: 06 May 2010 at 1:41pm
Can't say I've ever been a big fan of doom metallers Cathedral but I've recently been listening to and enjoying their new album The Guessing Game. as well as the heavy stuff it's quite trippy with a pschedelic vibe. Good stuff. Anyone else like it?
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 1:48pm
I haven't heard it yet. Have they gone back to the more doomy stuff or is their style still stoner metal?
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

I haven't heard it yet. Have they gone back to the more doomy stuff or is their style still stoner metal?

I'm probably not the best person to say really as I haven't really listened to their earlier stuff much, just the odd track here and there really so i don't have a comparrison. i was listening to the new album on Spotify and while there's certainly some doom metal going on I was impressed by the diversity with prog and psychedelic touches. So much so in fact that I ordered it.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

I'm probably not the best person to say really as I haven't really listened to their earlier stuff much, just the odd track here and there really so i don't have a comparrison. i was listening to the new album on Spotify and while there's certainly some doom metal going on I was impressed by the diversity with prog and psychedelic touches. So much so in fact that I ordered it.

I like their second album very much, and I think "Stajik Majik" is pretty cool, too.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 2:30pm
I'm going to check out some of their earlier stuff in more depth. I seem to remember The Carnival Bizarre as being one of their albums that was highly rated.

Edited by Nightfly - 06 May 2010 at 2:32pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 6:25am
Their first album is the most doom-laden one. It's very slow and heavy. I used to have it on cassette tape.
angelmk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelmk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 4:30pm
i've never liked Cathedral, so their last album was very boring to me, to say torture a bit .. 
www.last.fm/user/angelmk
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 2:44am
I absolutely loved the first two albums. Especially the second one, but then they decided to carry on with only one guitarist and they really lost something there IMO. The Carnival Bizarre made me jump ship.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 4:47am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I absolutely loved the first two albums. Especially the second one, but then they decided to carry on with only one guitarist and they really lost something there IMO. The Carnival Bizarre made me jump ship.

I think they lost some texture to their sound. I mean when they have a vocalist who does not really do much in terms of melody, then they need as much thickness to their sound as possible, so it doesn't collapse completely.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image