MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MP3 Player Widget?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MP3 Player Widget?
    Posted: 01 May 2010 at 1:23pm
One feature I'd like to see here that I've only previously seen on Drandon Drury's Home Recording forum is the ability to attach an mp3 to a post, with a player widget that allows forum members (only) to listen to the music.

In my opinion, such a feature should be limited to musician's own work, to avoid any potential file sharing issues, so could be offered only to members who sign up as musicians.

Musicians could thus share and promote their own music with ease - and I'm sure that many members of a metal music forum have picked up a guitar at some point - even if it's made of cardboard, or plucked from the air... Rawks

Good idea?

Dumb idea?

Indifferent?

graphix View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graphix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 9:03am
In a near future, you will be able to shout/comment MP3s (within the mp3 page).

Musicians can send a mp3 addition request by sending a private message to the appropriate sub-genre admin.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 4:51pm
What I'm getting at is something that would allow me to attach an mp3 say, to this post, so you could click "play" and listen - a bit like having a YouTube or picture embedded in the post.
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 5:59pm
An MP3 from any source, or only MMA ?
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 3:05am
If a musician wanted to post his/her own music, then it'd have to be any source.

I guess a way to control it would be to allow people to sign up to MMA as Musicians or Bands, and given them the ability to use the control.

Obviously, if you allow anyone to embed mp3s in forum posts, then you run into the hot potato that is file-sharing territory, so some degree of control would be needed, according to the local laws (presumably Canadian?).

To re-word my wish, I'd like to be able to grab a song (that I've written or played) from my hard drive, or my own online file share, and let everyone hear it simply by clicking a play button in this post.

Is that a bit clearer (I realise this is a tricky thing to describe - best way to see it in action would be to go over to http://forum.recordingreview.com/f76/prowler-30085/ (Note that you can only play the file if you're a signed up member, which is another good layer of protection!).

If you sign up to the site and look at the same post, you'll see a "widget" as I described earlier, which is a kind of mini media player that's embedded in the post.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 5:34am
I've just noticed this option on 4 Shared - this post is just a test to see if it delivers what I'm looking for...

It's a kind of 2nd best - a link which takes you to a widget where you can listen to the music and give the option to download it (if you like the song and want to D/L it, the password is Certif1ed!).

Edited by Certif1ed - 18 May 2010 at 5:35am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic