Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recomend Some Melodeath albums

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recomend Some Melodeath albums
    Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 5:29pm
What are the seminal Melodeath albums and what gems should I check out ?

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
renkls View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renkls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 6:12pm
If you haven't already, peruse Edge of Sanity's discography. the Crimson albums especially, are solid masterpieces.
diamondblack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diamondblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 2:06am
Amon Amarth is quite good and later Carcass albums Heartwork and Swonsong. Soilwork stuff is very melodic.
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 8:33am
I don't listen to alot of melodeath, but what I do like is the first couple of In Flames albums, Dark Tranquillity - especially the Character & Damage Done albums, some Soilwork, Amon Amarth. Eluveitie too, though I know they aren't considered melodeath they have enough of the style to at least be mentioned. 

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 9:11am
I second renkl's Edge of Sanity recommendation. One of my favorite acts, but their stuff is a lot rawer and more progressive than your average melodic death metal. Their Crimson album is a seminal progressive/melodic death metal release.

Bowdown

Omnium Gatherum is another favorite of mine - their two most recent albums (2011's New World Shadows and 2013's Beyond) are both stunning.

Love this track!! Headbanger

Of course, there are also the classic albums by In Flames (The Jester Race), Dark Tranquility (The Gallery), and other Gothenburg acts that you should definitely listen to.

Here's another new-ish act that's really good - Deadlock. Very polished and melodic, but they've got some really solid riffs in their catalogue:

Hope this helps! I'm not an expert in the genre, but this should be a few things to look into! Smile

Cheers and happy listening!
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 9:24am
At the Gates: Slaughter of the Soul
Carcass: Heartwork
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 9:32am
Arch Enemy: Stigmata, Burning Bridges, Wages of Sin
ChaosAngel View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChaosAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 4:51am
On the Amon Amarth front, I might specifically recommend With Oden on Our Side (arguably their greatest and overall best received album).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic