MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Edge of Sanity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Edge of Sanity
    Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 9:19am
Well I just got "Crimson" by Edge of Sanity (again, don't get it from iTunes), and I think it's awesome. I've heard this album is significantly better than the rest of their discography. What other ones are worth getting? Do they all show the wide variety of sounds we get on Crimson?
We're gonna do a little number featuring Randy Rhoads...

Wine is fine but whisky's quicker.

That's what Rock n' Roll's About!!!!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 9:36am
No other album in Edge of Sanity�s discography sounds like Crimson. The Crimson 2 album is also progressive but much more keyboard/ synth heavy. The rest of their output are much more old school Swedish death metal at their core. They made minor progressive experiments on most albums from Unorthodox and forward though.

I�d get the three albums that preceded Crimson before getting anything else. Crimson 2 might interest you too.
The Pessimist View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Pessimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 10:17am
Purgatory Afterglow is probably my favourite, I prefer it to Crimson in a way
bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 10:19am

I'd go for "Purgatory Afterglow" instead of "Crimson II", but then Jonas will probably disagree entirely Big smile

That's how it is, we're all joined in praise for "Crimson", but everything else is in another league and it's  very depending on taste whether you'd like it or not.

You're quite a Devin Townsend fan right, so maybe you'll prefer the Crimson II which is a bit too overblown for me.

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 10:35am
Nope Karl I don�t disagree one bit. I�m not too fond of Crimson 2 either ( that doesn�t mean it�s not a good album though, just not my preferred poison). Purgatory is a great album.

I�ll rewrite every single of my Edge of Sanity reviews before posting them here on MMA, because they are some of my earliest reviews on PA and not very well written most of them. I�m really looking forward to listening to those albums again.

Edited by UMUR - 27 Apr 2010 at 10:38am
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 7:07pm
Here's my time to shine... Big smile I am admittedly an Edge of Sanity (and Dan Swan� in general) fanboy, so I can definitely help you out here.

Crimson
is indeed their best album IMO, and their only 5-star masterpiece. Crimson II should appeal to you if you're alright with some neo-prog influences (especially the heavy synth use).

Purgatory Afterglow is one of the best Edge of Sanity albums, though not as "proggy" as Crimson. It has many progressive tendencies, and has some crushing death metal parts as well. This is one of the next Edge of Sanity albums you should get.

The Spectral Sorrows is a fantastic death metal album. It's very diverse, but not as proggy as Crimson. You can read my review (on PA or MMA) to see what I mean by that.

Unorthodox is a great album, but isn't as good as the previously mentioned albums. It's probably their heaviest as well.

The other 3 albums aren't very good (though the debut is worthwhile if you love old school Swedish death metal and are okay with poor production qualities).

HOWEVER, before you check out any more Edge of Sanity albums, I would recommend getting some Nightingale albums, especially since you're not a "huge" death metal fan. The Closing Chronicles is Nightingale's best, as well as one of my all-time favorite albums. Swan� has also been in like 500 other bands, and from what I've heard, most of them are worth checking out, pending on what you're looking for.

Hope that helps,
-Jeff
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 7:31am
I don't like any of their albums besides Crimson I & II, because they sound waaaaaaaaay too much like melodic death metal. BTW, am i the only one here that thinks that Swede melodic DM sucks? I really can't stand it Dead.
bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 1:01pm
^ Hey, could you give some examples of bands that fall under that banner for you?
If you mean Opeth then I'm definitely not with you Disapprove
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

I don't like any of their albums besides Crimson I & II, because they sound waaaaaaaaay too much like melodic death metal.

That's because they are melodic death metal. Wink
CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by bonnek bonnek wrote:

^ Hey, could you give some examples of bands that fall under that banner for you?

Well, I mean mostly the G�thenburg bands, but there are other examples here and there (like EoS). Maybe I should have been more precise on that statement, sorry. Ouch

Edited by CCVP - 04 May 2010 at 2:21pm
CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

I don't like any of their albums besides Crimson I & II, because they sound waaaaaaaaay too much like melodic death metal.

True, but there are melodic death metal bands with good overall records, like Opeth. EoS (or Dan Sw�no actually) apparently focused all their efforts in Crmson. Many of Dan Sw�no's solo efforts are also great melodic DM albums, like his solo album Moontower (which has some minor prog influences, IMO at least).

Edited by CCVP - 04 May 2010 at 2:25pm
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 2:36pm

Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

True, but there are melodic death metal bands with good overall records, like Opeth. EoS (or Dan Sw�no actually) apparently focused all their efforts in Crmson. Many of Dan Sw�no's solo efforts are also great melodic DM albums, like his solo album Moontower (which has some minor prog influences, IMO at least).

It's fine that you don't care much for the other EoS albums, but saying that "they focused all of their efforts in Crimson" is a statement far from the truth. Keep in mind that Dan Swan�'s favorite Edge of Sanity album is Unorthodox, EoS was hardly even a functioning band while recording Crimson, and right after Crimson the band didn't even work together (Swan� made Crimson II by himself, the rest of the band made Cryptic by themselves, and Infernal was a split between the two camps).

Crimson is my favorite Edge of Sanity album as well, but the band disagrees.
bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 2:06am
^ Never believe a band. They should just rock!.
We'll do the reviewing Big smile

Edited by bonnek - 05 May 2010 at 2:06am
bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 2:10am

Well, I mean mostly the G�thenburg bands, but there are other examples here and there (like EoS). Maybe I should have been more precise on that statement, sorry. Ouch

Like In Flames, At The Gates,... right?
Not my cup of tea neither. From Sweden I'd rather go with Entombed.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 4:41am
While extremely gifted most melodic death metal acts that I have heard sound generic and way too polished for my taste. There are of course always exceptions where the concept works ( I do enjoy several melodic death metal acts and that includes some of the G�thenburg acts too). The rough singing in the vers/ clean melodic singing in the chorus kind of melodic death metal has grown extremely stale by now IMO but Edge of Sanity was never a part of that scene even though their brand of death metal is certainly melodic.

Edited by UMUR - 05 May 2010 at 4:42am
CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 9:53pm

Like In Flames, At The Gates,... right?
Not my cup of tea neither. From Sweden I'd rather go with Entombed.

Bullseye! That one with the female growler also get my nerves. I think the name is Arch Enemy or Arch Angel, or something like it.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 2:32am
Yep Caio that would be Arch Enemy.
Stephen View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 5:10am
EoS' "Crimson" looks tempting,
would like to know is there any similarity with Opeth's style ?

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 6:08am
^some, but ultimately Crimson sound very different from Opeth. A comparison in some respects is valid enough though.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Stephen Stephen wrote:

EoS' "Crimson" looks tempting,
would like to know is there any similarity with Opeth's style ?

Well, it's in my top 5 albums ever, so of course I would recommend it to you! Big smile

It sounds a bit like Opeth. It's firmly rooted in Swedish melodic death metal from the early 90's (like Opeth), though it doesn't contain as many acoustic sections, and is generally heavier.

You should know that Mikael �kerfeldt helped out on guitar & vocals on Crimson, so that may spark your interest a bit.

-Jeff
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic