Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 248249250251252 257>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 5:33am

Quite a nasty little movie. Love the mantrap.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 1:33am

A bit of ultraviolent silly fun. Love a bit of Danny Trejo.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 8:46am

Slow-burning neo-noir set in the 1990s. Ambiguous ending. Liked it overall, definitely better than it's ratings would suggest though there may be some Denzel Washington Syndrome going on with it. 

As for the ending, personally I don't think he did it. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2023 at 3:16am

The most cringingly Kiwi thing I've seen in ages! Loved it!

It was scored by a Kiwi band called The Phoenix Foundation. I got a CD-r self-printed hand written demo for review from them when I worked at the paper years before. I absolutely savaged them and said they were U2 wannabes, and that we'd never hear from them again. 

The Phoenix Foundation went on to be one of the most successful Kiwi bands of the 2000s, and the individual members have gone on to do all sorts of great things musically and culturally, and are highly respected artists. Shows why I shouldn't be allowed anywhere near non-metal music...LOL
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 3:40am

Music is a cut-throat business...
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2023 at 1:32am

Not a bit like The Bear at all...
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2023 at 5:18am

There are some genuine laughs to be had in this one.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2023 at 12:00pm

Only loosely related to the original, and hated by gatekeeping punks, but I quite liked it. Also has an excellent soundtrack.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 1:57am

Fucking grim. Gland I've seen it, but never want to see it again.

Stupid, tacky, but surprisingly self-aware sexplotation crap. Lots of fun!

Had potential, but ultimately it's a bit shit.

Fucking awful! There are too many technical and logic holes for this to be plausible. Too fucking dumb for words, and a strong cast look embarrassed to be associated with it.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 3:31am

Fucking hilarious! Marty Feldman's directorial debut. In the same vein as Young Frankenstein or Blazing Saddles.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 11:29pm

I never knew Tina Fey could do drama, but there ya go. Martin Freeman's character is an annoying little git though.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2023 at 2:21pm

It's a solid enough British action crime flick, but the plot has some massive issues so you kinda end up just zoning out with this one. I can't recall another movie (at least outside of the horror genre) that spells out 'this character is going to die' quite so obviously as this film does. It also never resolves the villain's motivation for the initial killing. Not worth watching again. 

Nature fights back horror. It was okay but a long way from topping The Birds in this genre. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2023 at 2:47am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

It's a solid enough British action crime flick, but the plot has some massive issues so you kinda end up just zoning out with this one. I can't recall another movie (at least outside of the horror genre) that spells out 'this character is going to die' quite so obviously as this film does. It also never resolves the villain's motivation for the initial killing. Not worth watching again. 

They missed a prime opportunity to set it in the 70s, like the original TV series.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2023 at 4:18am

I've seen this before, but it's a lot better than I remembered. Political action/thriller starring a young Sam Neill. This is the first NZ movie to get a US release, and was the beginning of New Zealand's film industry as it's known now.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2023 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

They missed a prime opportunity to set it in the 70s, like the original TV series.

I have never seen the original show, but agreed. 

I was mainly interested in it because of the Top Gear connection (not that much, if anything, of what they shot is actually included in the film). 

I just found it quite frustrating plot wise. It feels like if they were going to kill a character, that maybe they killed the wrong one by offing Nancy, even without the stupid cliché's spelling the death out before it happens. It's like her death is supposed to motivate Jack...but how did he not have motivation to catch the crooks from the start? The whole romance subplot seems superfluous given how it ended. 

I know that Jack Regan was the main character in the original as well so this was never going to happen, but I was left feeling that the movie would have been a lot more interesting if it was Jack himself that got killed in the car park scene. That would have changed the movie completely. Kill Nancy off and you expose the romance subplot as the filler it turned out to be. It in no way changes the fact that Jack would be fully determined and committed to get the criminals just as he would be had she lived or not existed at all. Kill Jack off though, then the whole team is knocked for six and it completely changes the rest of the movie and the surviving main character's roles. 

As I said, it never could have happened that way. No Sweeney remake would have dared kill off either Jack Regan or George Carter. In a movie that wasn't a reboot of something else, such a plot would be possible. This is why many remakes end up sucking. And the more I think about this one the more it seems one of the most shittily written films I've seen it a while. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2023 at 3:50am

Funny as fuck in places. Billy Connolly brilliant as ever, and the child actors were excellent.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2023 at 9:39pm

Hilarious! Slightly surreal piss-take of teen sports movies.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2023 at 3:12am

That was a bit of harmless fun. Great cast, and a couple of unexpected twists.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2023 at 1:41am

Well that really fucks with your head until you figure out what's happening...
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2023 at 5:44pm

A bit "meh", and like a lot of Stephen King adaptations, looks and feels a bit cheap. Hadn't realised Linda Hamilton was in it though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 248249250251252 257>
  Share Topic