Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 232233234235236 256>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 10:19pm

Pretty grim material for it's time. Didn't really grab me. I watched a dubbed English version. It might be better subtitled.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 1:17am

You know how sometimes movies are so bad they're good? Yeah, this isn't one of them. Crap from start to finish. A few pointless boobs (they had points I suppose, but you know what I mean), some pretty poor stunts, and most of the cast were armed with wooden swords and axes.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Pretty grim material for it's time. Didn't really grab me. I watched a dubbed English version. It might be better subtitled.

You haven't seen the original M then unless you've watched an unofficial dub, which I'd be dubious of. I'm not sure an official English dub of the German version exists. 

Filmmaking was done differently in those days to produce alternate language versions. In the case of M, that means a lot of it was re-shot, often with different actors than appear in the German version (Peter Lorre is in both and the English version is his first performance in English). The director, Fritz Lang, is said to have not been involved in producing these alternate language versions of M. 

I believe the English one is also slightly shorter than the German. 

The film is best viewed in a restored German version. There's a lot of subpar releases of this film and quite a few shitty ones, including what can be viewed on Amazon Prime. In the UK the only release worth watching is either the DVD or Blu-Ray release from Eureka Entertainment. Not sure what the best available over your way would be. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 5:19pm

Downton is Downton. If you liked the TV series, you'll like this. It made for a good evening's viewing.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2022 at 12:03am

That got crazy, love it

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 24 Jul 2022 at 12:05am
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2022 at 12:23am

Gritty is the word normally used to describe this movie. I'd say unsanitised and unromanticized myself. The west was hard and dirty, and for once this movie doesn't shy away from showing it.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2022 at 5:09pm

Second watch of this one. Been a while so I didn't remember everything about it. It feels a little dated, but I'd say it's at least a cult classic. 

Another of the essential early gangster films, being released a few months after Little Caesar. I think this one tops that one. Cagney was the gangster actor in those days, thanks in no small part to this movie.

Weird and good. I spotted the 'reveal' early on though thanks to a pretty on the nose foreshadowing. 

The first act is a masterpiece. The second is only decent. Vincent D'Onofrio gives one of the best performances I've ever seen in this, especially during the climatic scene of the first act. 

He's from a well to do (read: snooty) family. She's from a family of eccentrics. Chaos ensues when they decide to get married. 

One of the funniest films I've ever seen to be honest. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 12:21am

Such an entertaining western. I've mixed feelings on its ending though.

I've seen a number of Arthurian interpretations before, but this may just be one of the best and certainly one of the more adult. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 2:09am

Wow, this is really well done. The fighting itself isn't the central focus of the movie, but the battle scenes that there are are excellent.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 10:42am

I was torn over which of these to watch/buy but settled on 1935. I liked it enough that I'll one day also the at least the one with Brando as well. 

Not amazing but watchable. 

Not strictly a werewolf movie but of that ilk, combined with a police procedural narrative. Overall solid.

Absolutely brilliant. 

Re-watch, but first time on the extended cut. It's been too long though so I couldn't tell what bits I hadn't seen before. 

Not Hitchcock at his best but this was a glorious 4K restored version that looks fantastic. 

Re-watch. This is a very strong psych thriller worthy of Hitchcock. My new blu-ray copy also includes this earlier British made version I'd not seen before as well:

This one seems quite well regarded in its own right, but I guess I'd like it more if I hadn't seen the US remake, which is a higher budget production and really looks it. This one just feels rushed and poor after the fact. 

Non-essential Hitchcock, so still really good. 

Really good road movie with Al Pacino and Gene Hackman. The ending is an absolute punch to the gut though. 

The Chinatown sequel. Not as good, but worthy. 

The first one of these was passable entertaining. This is mostly just crap. 

This is watchable but also not great. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 2:09am

Basically Saw, without the blood and guts. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 4:07am

Thos poster makes this movie look so much better than it really is. Kirk Douglas, Farrah Fawcett, Harvey Kietel, an amazing looking space laboratory, and a psycho killer robot. And they managed to squeeze all the fun and any possible excitement out of it. Farrah Fawcett's boobs make an appearance, but they don't make up for the rest of the movie.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 3:31pm

A movie being meta way before it was cool. This was a lot of fun, with some good unexpected plot twists, although the further it went on, the more predictable it becomes. 

Could be so much more but it's not. I don't think they could have made the movie feel more lifeless if they'd tried.

Re-watch. Top tier Scorsese and not an effort to do the entire three hour film in one sitting. 

Suspension of disbelief very much required for this one. Not unfun once you switch your brain off though. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 6:20pm

Quirky with a few good laughs as you'd expect from the Coens, but nah, not my thing.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 3:58am

I'd always expected this to be style over substance, but it's not. It's a powerfuland somewhat dark story with a thin veneer of happiness and glamour over the top. If it had been up against just about any other movie than The Godfather for best picture Oscar it would have won.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 12:49am

I'd expected a serious drama, but this is a quirky, clever little comedy drama. It's fun to see a young Peter Capaldi and Denis Lawson, and the therapy Burt Lancaster's character is receiving is hilarious.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 4:38am

Divine and John Waters was a match made in B-movie heaven! Love his sense of the absurd and her OTT acting.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 10:20pm

Well that's all a bit fucking grim. This earned Jennifer Lawrence an Oscar nomination, and rightly so, but this just seems like one of those Oscar-bait movies designed purely to win awards.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 1:40am

And magnificent they were.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 9:52pm

A bit better than the first one, but fuck we must have been hard up for comedies back in the 80s! Anyway, an all star cast had great fun messing around in cars, but the whole thing is a bit incoherent. This was a final movie appearance for both Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 232233234235236 256>
  Share Topic