Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 226227228229230 256>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 11:18am
I found the first one nearly unwatchable, lol I don't even know why, but it had some of the worst "comedy" I've experienced in a movie in a long time, and I didn't exactly find the main character very likable, tbh. Though as we've seen over the last few movies, MCU comedy in general has been very hit and miss for me, with some massive hits (Ragnarok, both Guardians of the Galaxy movies) one somewhat miss (Homecoming) and then Ant-Man was just a catastrophic miss, lol

Oh, and pretty much everyone seems to say Ant-Man and the Wasp is worse than the first one, so considering that was a 1.5 star movie for me, that really inspires confidence Ouch

Edited by DippoMagoo - 27 May 2022 at 11:32am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 2:54pm
I mean I might be overstating how important he is to Endgame (I watched it the day it came out on blu-ray in the UK and not since since I've never fit in a full re-run of the whole MCU, so I don't recall every detail absolutely now), but the situation is basically this: Infinity War ends with a pretty big problem for the heroes. Without Ant-Man there is no solution to that problem. And the solution to the problem is a big part of the plot of Ant-Man and the Wasp. 

I think the two Ant-Man films are about on the level with each other personally. So you probably won't like it if you didn't like the first one, but hopefully you won't hate it even more either.

You can totally watch Captain Marvel first though, even though Ant-Man and the Wasp came out before it. A lot of people had issues with that film though, but I thought it was solid. And it's not an MCU comedy. Wink

Edited by adg211288 - 27 May 2022 at 2:57pm
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 3:45pm
Yeah, from what I understand Captain Marvel takes place way earlier in the timeline than Avengers or Ant-Man, so it may make since to watch it tonight, then Ant-Man tomorrow, if that one is basically an extra prologue to Endgame. I've heard mixed things about Captain Marvel, but from what I've heard I expect it to be meh at worst, or solid at best. But on the other hand, I've watched everything in release order up to this point, so I may as well just continue with that, and use Captain Marvel to (hopefully) recover somewhat from the inevitable suckage of Ant-Man 2, lol

Edited by DippoMagoo - 27 May 2022 at 3:52pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 4:28pm
I wouldn't go as far to say it's a prologue to Endgame, but what happens in that film does give them the answer in Endgame. The film itself has nothing to do with Thanos and the Infinity Stones arc. I honestly don't recall just how much is essential to knowing what Scott's talking about when he shows up in Endgame. 

If you really, really don't get on with it you could probably get away with just reading a synopsis. But I would have to warn you that a third film is coming in Phase 4 and that looks like it's going to feature a major Thanos replacing Big Bad who has already been teased in Loki season one. 

Captain Marvel's a tad underrated for me. It's not magnificent and far from what the first female led MCU film should have been (the first female led MCU film should have been Black Widow's, a long time before it actually came about (and it also should have been better than it was)), but it's not as bad as some claim. It's middle of the road MCU fare, just like Black Panther. 

A lot of people don't seem to like Brie Larson though. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 7:10pm
Yeah, I'm fully aware of the hate against Brie Larson, and it 100% has to do with her acting ability and not a bunch of stupid political nonsense Wacko 
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 9:10pm
Dead 

Well, it just about met my expectations, which is the best thing I can say about it. I do think it had some good ideas, and a few good scenes here and there, but I spent well over 75% of it groaning in pain and checking the time to see if it was any closer to ending, lol

I think I see the connection to Endgame, though. I was slightly misled, though, because Disney+ lists it as taking place before Infinity War, but based on the timeline it feels like it takes place around the same time, and then the mid credits scene is clearly at the end of Infinity War.

Edited by DippoMagoo - 27 May 2022 at 9:13pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2022 at 9:02pm
This one was just a big "meh", imo. It doesn't have anything super annoying like the Ant-Man movies or Homecoming, but aside from the MC herself, as well as Fury, a couple other characters and some decent action sequences (though it basically felt like a cheap Star Wars knockoff, lol) I found it pretty bland and forgettable. The villain especially was one of the lamest and most forgettable across the whole MCU, tbh, and the overall story in general felt like it took a lot from other stories I'm familiar with, and had very little interesting of its own. It wasn't bad, and I did somewhat enjoy it, but it's very much a mediocre, 2.5 star/5/10 movie for me, where Black Panther was about a 7.5, Homecoming and Incredible Hulk were about a 6, most others were 7.5 or higher, and both Ant-Man movies were <3/10, lol

Hopefully Endgame will be a lot better than these past two movies, lol

Edited by DippoMagoo - 28 May 2022 at 9:47pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 9:00am
Columbia Noir 4 disc 6: The Brothers Rico

Pretty solid. That marks the end of the fourth set and my posts on them until the fifth one comes out next month. 

And possibly the last Three Stooges extra, since unless it's just a misprint none are listed as appearing on volume 5:

The trio is in triplicate playing three sets of brothers who haven't seen each other since before the war, despite living in the same city. Chaos ensues once the group's women start mistaking one trio for the other. 

A bit slow paced to be honest. 

Crazy movie. Just got a really nice collector's edition of it. My previous DVD copy didn't do these visuals justice. 

I remembered very little about this movie, but it's more passable than I thought it was. Just boils down to same shit, different planet. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 12:08pm

Often cited as the worst movie to ever win the Best Picture Oscar. Has a spectacular opening scene, which is rightly praised, but otherwise veers wildly between dreadful tedium and ill-fitting melodrama. Oh yeah, and it's all overlaid with a not so thin veneer of racism.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 3:49pm
Well, it didn't disappoint! There were some pacing issues (though I do think the slow parts were done and interesting in some ways, just a bit dragged out), and I don't think I agree with a couple decisions they made here and there, but overall I loved it, and I thought the last hour or so was pretty much perfect.

I actually didn't see one death coming, and it was bigger than the one I did know about, but it worked for me 100%, tbh. The one I had known about also worked, imo, even if it felt a bit rushed. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 3:56pm

Out of the three Nuri Bilge Ceylan films I'd already seen, I'd actually seen this one the most recently, but I'm going through the set in order. I actually liked this one more on the second watch though. Not much really 'happens' in this 2.5 hour film, but the dialogue is compelling with its normality in the face of a gruesome event. I can see why this considered one of his best films. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

Well, it didn't disappoint! There were some pacing issues (though I do think the slow parts were done and interesting in some ways, just a bit dragged out), and I don't think I agree with a couple decisions they made here and there, but overall I loved it, and I thought the last hour or so was pretty much perfect.

I actually didn't see one death coming, and it was bigger than the one I did know about, but it worked for me 100%, tbh. The one I had known about also worked, imo, even if it felt a bit rushed. 

Now you've watched it I can freely address the two problems I had with this film. Anyone else who cares may want to flick off of this post now if they've not seen it...

1. Nat's death. It was obvious that some characters weren't going to survive Endgame, but there was one character out of a huge cast I thought it would have been a massive mistake to kill. And they killed her. 

There are two main reasons for this. The first reason was at this point we already knew a Black Widow solo film was finally coming. Even knowing it takes place after Civil War, it harmed that film by killing off the character, because suddenly the first Phase 4 movie has no stakes going forward for its star, who is already dead. 

The second reason happens in Endgame itself. During the final battle, they line up a shot of the women of the MCU. And the First Lady of the MCU is missing, because they decided to kill her early. 

A third lesser reason is that they wrote it in a way that it was either her or Hawkeye not getting out alive. And hardly anyone gives a crap about Hawkeye. He's the permanently upstaged Avenger, even in his own Disney+ series. 

Over time I've become more accepting of them killing Nat off, even if I still think it was a colossal mistake (to me, she should have remained a central figure of the Avengers in Phase 4, possibly even taking more of a Nick Fury type role). But if they were going to do it, they should have done it much later in the movie than they did. 

What's more, she doesn't even get a heroes send off, unlike Tony Stark. 

2. This has to do with another female character actually. But this one survives. Captain Marvel. A really big fucking deal was made out of the impending arrival of Captain Marvel in the MCU in the wake of Infinity War. The mid-credits scene of her own movie seemed to only add to this anticipation. 

Captain Marvel was touted in marketing as being the most powerful hero in the MCU, pretty much made out to be the one who was going to swoop in and save the day, getting set up as the new lead Avenger in the aftermath of losing both Iron Man and OG Captain America, which we all knew was coming in some form in this movie due to contracts expiring and actors wanting to move on.

And then she buggers off for most of the movie, not even taking part in the time heist. And who is it who actually saves the day? Or at least gets the ball rolling to save the day? Fucking Ant-Man

I don't dislike Ant-Man the way you do Travis, but the misdirection with the marketing really pissed me off. The MCU is by a large a sausage fest, and it was exciting to see them finally giving their female characters more spotlight, since I tend to find female characters more interesting in genres like this, due to the general assumption of 'dude needed to save the day'.

Endgame managed to throw both of them, the female character who got a solo film already and the female character who had a solo film coming after just one movie after this, under the bus. 

This is still an epic movie and overall a massive payoff of over twenty films to get to that point, but it contains the only two times the MCU has managed to actually piss me off. In the end, once again it was a dude needed to save the day...imagine just how much more impactful Nat's death would have been if against expectations it was her to give Thanos a taste of his own Snap and die as a result of it instead of Tony? Tony was one of two incredibly obvious choices for that moment (the other being Steve). Though I do acknowledge that getting to say I Am Iron Man again was hell of a moment, I'd have rather the battle was ended by an unexpected character. If they'd done this, I'd have said that killing Nat was much less of a mistake. In fact I tell myself that now the MCU is moving into the multiverse (I actively call it the MCM now), that there's some universes in the MCM where this exact thing happened. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 7:08pm
Yeah, I can understand that about Black Widow. I wasn't following the marketing for it (never even watched the trailers when I got close to watching the movie, or anything) so all I knew was what I had heard from reviews and your comments beforehand. I think even if I didn't anticipate it I would have been fine, though, since I like both characters, and I do think it makes sense to keep Hawkeye alive since he has a family to go back to (which along with his scenes with Nat, are where he's at his best, imo), while Nat herself even says she has basically nothing outside of the Avengers. The timing of her solo movie is very odd, though, lol And yeah, while I haven't read much about his show, one thing I've heard a bunch of people say is that he gets badly upstaged by Kate Bishop, lol

As for Captain Marvel: I think if they had made her much more important than they did, some fans would have rioted, and while that would have been funny to witness, I don't think it would have been a wise choice. If anything, I was surprised she was THAT important in the early part of the movie, since she's a new character they just introduced in literally the last movie leading up to Endgame. As much as I hate Ant-Man, he did have prior history with the team, so it did kinda make sense for him to play a more important role (he was still cringe as fuck even in this movie, though LOL)

And I definitely think the MCU is getting better with female representation in general, at this point, even if they still have a long way to go. From what I've seen, around half the main cast for the Eternals is female, and obviously there's the Black Widow movie, plus The Marvels is coming next year. and for Disney + in particular it's looking promising, with Wanda starring in a show, and unless I'm missing something in between, it looks like the next two Marvel series have female leads (Ms. Marvel and She-Hulk.) I actually may time it so I start both of those a couple days before their finales air, so I can see the finales when they release, since I prefer to watch shows in sequence instead of on a weekly basis. But yeah, now that I'll be caught up by the end of this week (aside from the new Doctor Strange movie), I can watch the shows whenever I want.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 2:40pm
Obviously you´ll have to have watched all seasons and episodes of the Ray Donovan tv-series before watching this concluding movie. It ties up a couple of loose ends and wraps up the series, which unfortunately ended a little abruptly, as it was cancelled.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14124268/

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 6:42am

I normally really dig the Korean films and this one is very highly rated, but I found it to be quite a drag, especially in the first half. It gets more intriguing in the second but I'm failing to see what the fuss has been about over this one. More like 'Slow Burning' should be its title. It also doesn't resolve in a satisfactory way after about 2.5 hours. It's leading towards one answer, but leaves it completely open to interpretation. Some may prefer that kind of open-endedness. But me, I'd rather know. After all, I just spent more than a couple of hours of my life on this you know?

Also, I didn't find any of the three main characters especially sympathetic. The protagonist is clearly obsessive about the girl, the girl is obviously using him (the film literally starts with this girl reappearing in his life and the next thing he knows he's roped into feeding her cat while she goes on holiday and when she returns it's with another guy in tow), and the other guy is probably just full of shit (but may also be a serial arsonist (he outright admits he is, but the lack of evidence suggests otherwise) and possible murderer). 

This is a film I'm probably going to keep thinking about, but I can't honestly say I'd rate it more than 3 stars and for a long time in looked set for 2, maybe 2.5. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 4:09pm
For the first 30 minutes or so this was looking like an Ant-Man level cringey comedy, but somehow it ended up winning me over fairly quickly, and then it got better as it went on. There were some dumb parts here and there, but it's pretty telling that by the end I was finding the comedy more fun and charming than annoying, and I really enjoyed Mysterio a lot as the villain, as well as the overall story, and I think this version of MJ is pretty solid, after not really getting to see much of her in Homecoming.

Oh, and I had a certain returning actor from a previous incarnation of Spider-Man spoiled, but even in just 30 seconds or so at the end, he was absolutely glorious LOL

Edited by DippoMagoo - 31 May 2022 at 4:12pm
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 6:51pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 9:55pm

I can definitely see how they screwed up big time on the release scheduling for this one. It feels like traveling back in time to a couple years ago from where I was in the timeline, despite being the start of Phase 4 Wacko

I actually had a lot of fun with it, though. It's definitely a bit cheesy, and some of the CGI usage is ridiculous (that ending sequence is insanely fake looking even by MCU standards, LOL) but I guess I love Nat as a character too much to not get some enjoyment out of this, plus it was cool learning more of her backstory, and I liked most of the other major characters a lot as well. Having David Harbor as comic relief was also great, though if having him play a Russian specifically named Alexei wasn't an intended in-joke, then that is one of the craziest coincidences ever LOL
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 12:30am

Both re-watches, but the second one was the special extended version, which is notable for an alternate ending that completely eliminates any more sequels. I haven't seen any other Terminator films than these two (I'm planning to give the third a look possibly today) but this ending kind of feels like what should be canon, given I know how badly received some of the Terminator sequels have been (especially Dark Fate which I know overwrites Rise of the Machines). 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 1:32pm

Okay that was actually a lot better than I was expecting. A really good action sci-fi that was harmed a lot less by the removal of Linda Hamilton than expected. It's not a patch on either of the first two of course and I still kinda prefer the alternate ending I saw yesterday for Terminator 2 (which again removes the possibility of any sequels), but this was quite a satisfying conclusion to the original trilogy. It seems like this franchise really gets fucked up after this point with the next trilogy stalling after one film, a reboot, then Dark fate overwriting this. I'm not sure I want to continue with them from here.
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 226227228229230 256>
  Share Topic