Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 169170171172173 256>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 12:10am
You really shouldn't want Bond films to hurry up and finish, but this just went on and on and on...

I saw this when it came out. Dad took me and my brothers to see this and Jaws 3-D on the same day, only the second time ever we'd seen two movies in a day (the first time we saw Battlestar Galactica and The Shaggy DA). I've never seen this again in the nearly 40 years since.

I remember the mini-jet at the beginning, and the circular saw yoyo weapon really well, but this really plays like something put to film a bit too late. It may have been a compelling or believable story in the 50s, but the stuff with the circuses and the island populated by only women were a bit of a stretch even for the 1980s. It seemed like the producers had run out of good Ian Fleming stories and were getting toward the bottom of the barrel. And I found Maud Adams to be a bit cold and unlikeable as Octopussy. She really didn't have good onscreen presence.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 1:45am

Yeah, nah. Not as good as the previous two. Too much time without critters actually onscreen or eating people. A couple of good comedy/gore scenes, and the cliched "little monsters messing up the kitchen" scene is actually pretty good - it includes flatulence, and I always find farts funny. 

Probably most notable for being Leonardo Di Caprio's first feature film.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 11:59am
Incredibly moving. Both sad and funny:
Brigsby Bear Poster
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5805752/
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 12:20pm

Actually feels a bit weird to see it in black and white after twice in colour, but the movie loses nothing by the third watch and I've actually started to spy some little details throughout that I missed before: such as the fact that Bong was influenced by Hitchcock for this and put a Hitchcock cameo in the film in the form of a tiny picture. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Peacock Feather View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peacock Feather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 2:28pm

Third Satoshi Kon's movie. Seems like this will be the simplest anime from Kon yet so beautiful and soulful. Love this.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 4:18pm
In the Shadow of the Moon Poster
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8110640/

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 4:39pm

Found it a bit poor, personally. 
GG2U

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 12:35am
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 2:48am
The law of diminishing returns in action. Really boring. Critters in space, but misses so many opportunities for good gory fun. Nowhere near enough Critters, hardly anyone got munched, and no real comedy at all. Of the entire series, I think Critters 2 is easily the best, followed by 1, and wouldn't bother at all with 3 and 4.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 3:06am
^I´ve only watched the first two years back, and I remember them being mildy entertaining.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 2:55pm

One of the most boring snoozefests I've ever forced myself to stay awake through. An often depressing work that makes it's approx 2 hour runtime seem more like 20. I'm glad to have decided to give this a look on a day I generally feel good because I imagine if someone happened to see this on a really dark day in their life (and there have been a few of those for me during the pandemic) they may just decide to end it all there and then. I saw it through to give it fair chance, but this has ended up a movie I despise so fucking much I'm breaking my rating rules and giving it 0.5, which is usually reserved for crap I can't even finish. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 12:23pm
Wasted potential. This had a great cast, what looked like a big budget, and then wasted it all on a boring space procedural, before fucking it all up near the end in a seemingly desperate attempt to inject a bit of action. And the film title is off too. 

If you're looking for a good peril-in-near-space movie, Gravity is so much better. Moonraker and Capricorn One, for all their faults, also do space so much better than this.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 2:29pm
Eagle Eye Poster
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1059786/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 2:52pm

The first one of these was pretty entertaining black comedy splatter fare. This one just proves the law of diminishing returns, though it's not a complete train wreck either. Considering how it nearly lost me completely early on by using a plot twist I really hate, it's quite watchable. I hope they don't think it's a good idea to make a third one though. I would think twice about watching it if they did. 
GG2U

LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 2:38am

I liked this one, I had low expectations, but enjoyed it in the end. 

Edited by LittleBig - 26 May 2021 at 2:38am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 11:38am

Completely unnecessary, but as expected, far from the turd most will try to tell you it is. 
GG2U

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 8:09pm
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 1:47am
The lingering effects of PTSD got overlooked in this film for a long, long time, and it was just seen as another dumb shoot 'em up movie. The idiotic sequels probably had a lot to do with that. But anyone who thinks Stallone can't act, try watching the mentally broken man at the end of this movie in isolation. Without the context of the carnage before it, it's a powerful and moving scene. Unfortunately with the carnage, it's easily skipped.

I've not seen this in a long time, and in the interim I have read the book, so had more of an insight into Rambo's inner workings and thought process. It's actually a pretty good book too.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 9:37pm
The last Connery Bond film. I've seen it a couple of times, but not for a lot of years. I remember the videogame scene quite vividly, the fight with Bomber from Auf Wedersehn Pet, and Bond's final confrontation with Fatima, but didn't remember much of the rest. Connery was right to retire the first time round, and playing a semi-retired agent works well as a way of bringing him back, but the film is a bit pedestrian and as far-fetched as usual. 

It's outside the Albert Broccoli stable of canon Bond films. It's not any better or worse for it. It's a good movie, just not a great one.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 2:03am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

The last Connery Bond film. I've seen it a couple of times, but not for a lot of years. I remember the videogame scene quite vividly, the fight with Bomber from Auf Wedersehn Pet, and Bond's final confrontation with Fatima, but didn't remember much of the rest. Connery was right to retire the first time round, and playing a semi-retired agent works well as a way of bringing him back, but the film is a bit pedestrian and as far-fetched as usual. 

It's outside the Albert Broccoli stable of canon Bond films. It's not any better or worse for it. It's a good movie, just not a great one.

My bloody Freesat box didn't record this one. 

Normally it's been taping every Bond film and it's repeat during the week (even though I only set it to do the first one).

This one the poxy thing didn't record either showing.
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 169170171172173 256>
  Share Topic