Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 150151152153154 256>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I enjoyed this a little more but I'd still say it's not a great movie by any stretch of the imagination. It's also made in that same plodding along way as Solaris. Might be better drama if in English to be honest. These are the first times subtitled movies have made me wish that. I normally don't notice once a movie gets me engrossed within it. These just left me wondering why I wasn't just reading a book. #8 movie of all time on RYM? Fuck no. And considering that this was a movie I'd been excited to see for a long time now, I'm bitterly disappointed by it. 

Is this plodding pace and little plot a Russian thing? Or just this director? I don't think I'm going to touch any of this man's work ever again after these two. 

Dragging up an old post here. It's been nearly a year since I watched this movie that I didn't like.

So why the hell am I still thinking about it at least every other week?

When I watched it last year, the quality was rather shit.

Picture looked more like this, but not even in HD (these images won't hotlink, sorry):

The same shot on the Criterion release looks like this:

Shocking difference IMO.

I don't care for slow films in general. Some just click, most just bore. This was one of the latter when I watched it last year. And the crap picture meant I wasn't even appreciating the long take shots and was overall definitely a distraction in hindsight.

So, to those here who like the movie (I think someone even said it was their favourite movie), do you honestly think that, if I were to buy the Criterion blu-ray, that an improved picture would change my mind? Or will it be a case of boring me once, will bore me again?

I have watched this and I have a mixed impression. I too, saw it off the regular TV and know that there are better ways to see it. I would like to see it in the best possible quality, though I don't think it will ever be a film I want to revisit with any regularity. It is indeed just too slow and too long all at once.

It is a film I'm glad to have taken the time to watch and I like more about it than a don't like about it. The masterpiece it's hyped as? Not for me, not at this moment in time anyway. Worth trying again? Yes, I'd say so, especially if you're going for the good quality version, which I see you've bought from your next post. I'll await a post here on what you think the second time around.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 3:22pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 3:27pm

This was really good!
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 9:14pm
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 12:22pm
Sicario 2: Soldado Poster
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5052474/

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 3:16pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 5:02pm

Very good German period drama. Doesn't really have any resolution, which I'd usually be pissed off about after watching an over two hour film, but given that this ends as World War 1 is breaking out, it just works in conveying how people must have lost touch, like the narrator did with everyone in the village after being drafted. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 7:27pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 9:14pm
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 11:46pm

Very good German period drama. Doesn't really have any resolution, which I'd usually be pissed off about after watching an over two hour film, but given that this ends as World War 1 is breaking out, it just works in conveying how people must have lost touch, like the narrator did with everyone in the village after being drafted. 

As far as I remember this is a Haneke movie right? I have this one on my to watch list. Now there is a man who understands the darkness of the human soul, and how to put it on the screen. I always come away from watching his movies with nausea and a feeling like I just watched something I´m not sure I should have Smile
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 12:42am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

One of those films I liked when I saw it, but have never watched it a second time. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 12:48am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

As far as I remember this is a Haneke movie right? I have this one on my to watch list. Now there is a man who understands the darkness of the human soul, and how to put it on the screen. I always come away from watching his movies with nausea and a feeling like I just watched something I´m not sure I should have Smile

That's right. It's my first of his films. It has a sort of dark, I wouldn't say comic per se, but certainly quirky feel to it. The attitudes of the time are also eye-opening and you'll realise that there's a lot of bad stuff going on in the village which is only lightly touched on throughout the film.
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 2:03am

Another eco-armageddon film like IO, but this time the solution is time travel, not interplanetary evacuation. It's reasonably mind-bending, and comes to a satisfactory conclusion, even if there IS a plot hole big enough to fly a star destroyer through it...
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 10:53am

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

One of those films I liked when I saw it, but have never watched it a second time. 

watchable enough but a little too hollywood/cgi for my tastes

not big on Jake Gyllenhaal either 

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 05 Feb 2021 at 10:53am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 4:02pm

It's usually anime I end up doing RYM satire for, but oh boy we need one for this:

All the President's Men, based on the non-fiction book of the same name: Featuring dramatizations of real figures involved in and exposing the Watergate scandal, which took place earlier in the same decade, concluding two years before the movie was released. 

RYM Genre Police (on any other movie): A movie does not become a period/historical drama because it has got old. A period drama is relative to when the movie was made. Unless it is a Biopic, which can be anytime (despite being under Period Drama). But not a period drama. Recent events are current, not period/history. This doesn't change over time. 

RYM Genre Police (on this movie): This is a period drama set two years before it was released. Same decade and everything, but still a period drama. Not a biopic/biographical movie, despite the depictions of real life individuals during a defining point in their careers. 

The mind boggles on RYM logic sometimes.

Great movie though. I thought it might be a bit of a drag, but it wasn't. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 5:19pm

It's usually anime I end up doing RYM satire for, but oh boy we need one for this:

All the President's Men, based on the non-fiction book of the same name: Featuring dramatizations of real figures involved in and exposing the Watergate scandal, which took place earlier in the same decade, concluding two years before the movie was released. 

RYM Genre Police (on any other movie): A movie does not become a period/historical drama because it has got old. A period drama is relative to when the movie was made. Unless it is a Biopic, which can be anytime (despite being under Period Drama). But not a period drama. Recent events are current, not period/history. This doesn't change over time. 

RYM Genre Police (on this movie): This is a period drama set two years before it was released. Same decade and everything, but still a period drama. Not a biopic/biographical movie, despite the depictions of real life individuals during a defining point in their careers. 

The mind boggles on RYM logic sometimes.

Great movie though. I thought it might be a bit of a drag, but it wasn't. 

Very good movie! I don't think I'd have the idiot tolerance threshold you do.LOL
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 5:25pm

Thought provoking, but a bit uneven, and the conclusion is a bit fucked. A bit less relevant now than it was a couple of years ago since a couple of the subjects here (Ben Shapiro, Dennis Pager himself, Jordan Peterson) have become a lot less relevant themselves.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 8:37pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 10:20pm
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 11:09pm

Put your brain out of gear and enjoy! A combination of war movie and... well, fuck. If I say that'll give it away. Completely stupid, but it's really well made, high class stupid, and I loved it! Chloe Grace Moretz is brilliant. And it was also nice to hear a Kiwi accent in a movie.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 150151152153154 256>
  Share Topic