Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131132133134135 256>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 9:48am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

It wasn't that long ago I finally watched this again; the reason for the rapid re-watch is because I recently found out that the version I've seen is considerably cut compared to what was released in the US. This watch for that version, released here as an 'Extended Version' but is really just the uncut movie that the US has had all along. 

The movie continues to grow in my estimations as well. Better with every viewing. It was well worth the re-buy of this version on blu-ray.

IMO, Kubrick's greatest masterpiece... but I don't watch it often because I can't stand Shelley Duvall's weird alien face and voice
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 9:49am

started off strong but turned pretty boring
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

IMO, Kubrick's greatest masterpiece... but I don't watch it often because I can't stand Shelley Duvall's weird alien face and voice

I find Kubrick hit and miss. More hit now The Shining has won me over but unless 2001 manages to one day do the same I'm still going to say that's a really boring and overrated movie. There's a few key Kubrick's I've never seen though, including A Clockwork Orange. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 3:23pm

I have some mixed feelings about this one. 

As a movie I thought it was very good. Entertaining, well shot, I could really feel the neighbourhood coming to life through it's characters. 

As a movie that supposedly has a strong message against racism and the killing of black people by cops in the US (which is even more poignant in 2020 due to George Floyd), I found it to have some big problems though. Such as the long and the short of it (sorry, spoilers but can't be helped) being that everything that happens is because one black man walks into an Italian-American's pizzeria and takes umbrage over the Italian-American wall of fame and can't let it go and another one took umbrage over being told to switch Public Enemy off while on the premises. I found that character really arrogant over the assumption that he could just walk in and show such disrespect to the owner while still expecting to get served actually. 

If those two characters had just shown some respect the events that led to the riot wouldn't have happened. No, the death of one of those men at the hands of cops wasn't right and the movie raises awareness that George Floyd's death proved is still much needed over 30 years later, but I felt that the movie would have been more effective if those same people hadn't been the direct cause of events. For me that weakened the message. Some manners cost nothing and if Buggin Out really had a problem with the wall of fame he could have gone about trying to change Sal's mind in much better ways instead of demands and threats of getting the community to boycott the place. One thing I felt the movie got right was that most of the black community didn't have issue with Sal's wall - it wasn't racist, but got made about race unnecessarily. I think a lot of things today get made about race when they don't need to be too. So that resonated for me. Especially as if you reversed the roles of Buggin Out and Sal taking umbrage with a black wall of fame would be seen as racist, especially if it happened in 2020 and it's SJW climate. You don't end racism by reversing it. So I'm going to say it and be damned for it if I have to be: Buggin Out and Radio Raheem were the villains of this movie. 

It's all shades of grey more than there being an actual villain or even a proper protagonist.  Mookie's the focus, but he's an anti-hero at best.

If there's an actual villian here it was the heat making everyone short of temper. I always took that for the message personally, a cautionary tale with a moral of keeping your cool.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 3:47pm
Yeah the heat is definitely a factor in everything that happens. But it doesn't change that Buggin Out was looking to start trouble for Sal and Radio Raheem was incredibly arrogant toward Sal as well. So my view on them stands. I do get your point, but those characters came off extremely negatively to me which made it difficult to see Buggin Out's side of things (but I do know what he wanted to achieve but stand by that he went about it completely wrong). Raheem? I have no sympathy for his cause. He was just pissed because Sal wouldn't let him blast Public Enemy in his place. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 8:53am

Looks pretty damn good for its age. I've never been a major fan of the whole idea of King Kong, but I'm glad to have seen this movie. 
GG2U

LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 9:07am

Looks pretty damn good for its age. I've never been a major fan of the whole idea of King Kong, but I'm glad to have seen this movie. 

funny thing - 30s Kong is superior to the 70s Kong. Try to see the 70s one, I dare you. LOL
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 10:06am

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I find Kubrick hit and miss. More hit now The Shining has won me over but unless 2001 manages to one day do the same I'm still going to say that's a really boring and overrated movie. There's a few key Kubrick's I've never seen though, including A Clockwork Orange. 
You of course have to Watch A Clockwork Orange at some point. It´s a highly unpleasant Watch, but also thought provoking. Very bleak movie that one.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 1:20pm
So I finally saw this one today:

It didn't disappoint. Really disturbing movie. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 8:22am

Crap. The 1930s version is better. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 12:16pm

I saw that at about age 9. I have never been scared by a horror movie since.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 12:18pm

Love this movie! Need to give it a rewatch.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

There's no way my parents would have let me watch this at age 9. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 12:26pm

Love this movie! Need to give it a rewatch.

Yeah I liked this one a lot. 

Old monster movies are an area I've avoided until recently but I'm finding some gems now I've started to explore. 
GG2U

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 3:30pm
around that age I got nightmares from Mars Attacks so I can't imagine watching The Exorcist back then LOL
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 3:53pm
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 4:48pm

There's no way my parents would have let me watch this at age 9. 

My father fell asleep in front of the TV. He wouldn't have normally let me watch it either!LOL
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 4:49pm

Also just watched this the other day. I gotta say I was highly impressed with the standard of the special effects. It's a very visually stimulating movie.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 4:41pm

There's Lynch and then there's Lynch. This is Lynch. Couldn't make fucking head or tail of it. I mean I guess I couldn't really with Mulholland Drive either, but I at least enjoyed that movie all the same. This one I could do without. Some may call this artistic and a masterpiece. I call it arty-farty and a load of crap. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 4:46pm

Also just watched this the other day. I gotta say I was highly impressed with the standard of the special effects. It's a very visually stimulating movie.

Yeah it's pretty good. Obviously dated in 2020, but highly enjoyable still and what they achieved back then can definitely be appreciated. 

I now also know where Fallout's Protectrons came from. LOL

Plus the meaning of a line in Mass Effect that I always wondered about yet somehow never googled. Monsters from the id.
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131132133134135 256>
  Share Topic