Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 235236237238239 256>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 4:56am
Okay, I think it's going to be too much now to keep up with all my re-watches, since I'm mostly just enjoying my existing movie collection right now, so I'm only going to post newly watched films and pick and choose from re-watches to write about.

This is possibly the craziest movie I've ever seen. After watching this, I believe that Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness should be forced to be renamed as Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Normality. 

Japanese Yakuza noir. I'm not very satisfied with how it wrapped up, but it was compelling and stylish otherwise. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 5:14am
I've also over the last few days re-watched, thanks to picking up the latest boxset, The Conjuring Universe which including The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It for the first time.

While it's fair to say that the first one of these remains the best and that they definitely didn't need to make three Annabelle films, I think that overall this is is actually an underrated franchise. Multiple movies of the saga have been shit on from a great height by fans and critics alike, which does not seem deserved given the sheer amount of actual stinkers the horror genre produces. The latest main film in particular has been called out as being really bad yet to me it is leaps and bounds ahead of the average standard for the genre, which also offering a fresher take after the haunted houses of the first two. An easy four stars at minimum. And The Nun may just be the most underrated horror film of the last ten years. That movie oozes a dark atmosphere that even the rest of its franchise doesn't hold a candle to. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2022 at 5:17am

Basically an excuse to stick Raquel Welch in a furry bikini. There's some great Ray Harryhausen visual effects, but fuck me, this is awful! I just can't be doing with dinosaurs and humans together unless it's Jurassic Park or The Flintstones.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 2:06am

Not seen this in a lot of years. It turns out David Niven thought he'd be the star here, but this is the movie where the wider world discovered the genius of Peter Sellers. It doesn't matter if you ARE David Niven, you're not going to upstage Sellers.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 4:11am

Trashy exploitation flick, but that's what Russ Meyer was known for.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 12:56am

AKA Death of a Fuckin' Salesman, according to the cast. And it's one hell of a cast. There's no complicated plot or anything, but it's something that just reels you in and you have to keep watching.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 2:17am

It seems that the audience and cast alike hated this movie. So I had to watch it to see if it was as bad as I'd heard. And to be honest, I'm really not sure, because other than Donkey Kong, I know fuck all about Mario games anyway. It seems to have a very dedicated cult following now though.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 5:37am

Based on actual events, this black and white neo-noir is brilliantly chilling, especially in its final scene. 

Not the most compellingly executed film, but intriguing enough to keep going with and I didn't see the plot twist coming a mile off, having fallen for the more obvious red herring it presented. Not a re-watcher, but was worth a look.

I guess it's a bit more hit than miss as far as the endless Halloween sequels go. 

This other Jamie Lee Curtis outing though, rather meh to me. 

Not bad, but also not a re-watcher. 

A poor third part of a very mixed trilogy.

I've wanted to see this one for a while, but it just hasn't been available to watch anywhere. It didn't let me down. If there's an actor who can do batshit insane better than Nic Cage I'd like to know who it is. 

Not Eastwood's most compelling work. I did like it but it's non-essential. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 1:57am

Silly but sexy, and not very funny. Oh well...
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 8:53am

Brilliant. Surely one of the best with Jack Nicholson. 

I went back and forth on whether to get this one or not, unsure if it was really me, but it turned out to be a punt that paid off. An incredible 1950s technicolour drama with southern gothic aesthetic. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 2:20pm

Italian satire in which a top police officer commits murder. Very strong film, about as close to top notch as I'm ever willing to say on the first watch. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 2:30am

A bit melodramatic, but a great movie nonetheless. Roddy McDowall in his first movie role as Huw Morgan. Some wonderful singing, but curiously there was only one genuine Welshman in the entire cast.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 8:35am

Brilliant slice of life drama from Taiwan, the final film of director Edward Yang, but my first seen of his. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 3:08pm

Three poorly matched misfits get sent to the slammer, two of them on stitch-ups. They later escape. The film isn't really 'about' any of that, and more their interactions with each other. It's minimalist in many ways, with a lot of slow and static camera work, but the black and white cinematography is gorgeous and it all just works. I'd honestly stick it on my list of go to comfort films. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 2:59am

A movie about racism and intolerance, with a really good murder mystery tied in with it. It had me puzzled right up to the end, and even Sidney Poitier's character had been looking in the wrong place. This still looks really good, and is supposedly the first film specifically lit for dark skinned actors.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 5:17am

Made in a hurry by two leads who didn't want to be in it and hated it, and somehow... It became the first Oscar grand slam (Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, and Best Screenplay - only One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and Silence of the Lambs have repeated this). Often called the first screwball comedy. Clark Gable's performance here also inspired the character of Bugs Bunny.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 2:09am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Made in a hurry by two leads who didn't want to be in it and hated it, and somehow... It became the first Oscar grand slam (Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, and Best Screenplay - only One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and Silence of the Lambs have repeated this). Often called the first screwball comedy. Clark Gable's performance here also inspired the character of Bugs Bunny.

What a coincidence. This was also the movie I was about to post. 

I think I prefer a number of other Capra films personally; this comparatively feels like a prototype. I loved it, but it to me lacks some of the manic charm of Mr Deeds Goes to Town or You Can't Take It With You. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 6:27am

The second Pink Panther film which isn't really a Pink Panther film. Released only three months after The Pink Panther, this was based on a French play "L'Idiote". Inspector Clouseau is finally fleshed out fully, with his silly accent now in place. And it's Peter Sellers in full comedic flight, so well worth a watch for slapstick physical comedy and a big dose of absurdity.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 12:22pm

Some interesting ideas, but it is nowhere near as fleshed out as it could be. We're just thrown straight into a situation with no context or buildup, it drags after about half an hour and it ends up being all and all quite frustrating. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 5:41pm

Strange little movie. I saw it when I was a kid and remembered the ballad. Jane Fonda didn't want to do it and thought it would be crap, but was contractually obliged. It ended up nominated for 5 Oscars, with Lee Marvin controversially winning best actor, and making himself a name as a Hollywood drawcard at the same time. There's some great trick horseriding, and it features Nat King Cole as one of the balladeers, but the story is a bit lightweight. Other than Cat, Kid Shelleen, and the surprisingly culturally aware Jackson Two-Bears, the rest of the cast are basically cardboard cut-out Western characters.

Edited by Vim Fuego - 01 Oct 2022 at 5:44pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 235236237238239 256>
  Share Topic