Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234235236237238 256>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 5:23am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Bruce Campbell as Elvis, Ossie Davis as JFK, and an ass-sucking soul stealer. 'Nuff said.

Yeah that´s a pretty crazy movie.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 7:12am

I'm pretty sure Heath Ledger will forever be the definitive Joker thanks to this film. 

Never understood why some people who like the first two of the trilogy then proceed to take a massive shit on this one. 

File under: Shit I watched to see if it was a bad as people said it was.
Sub-Category: It was.

The best Predator movie since Arnie went up against one. And I actually like Predator 2 a lot. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 9:28am
^I've only ever seen The Dark Knight Rises once, but I think my main issue with it was that Tom Hardy's Bane voice just didn't sound good, at all. I'm not sure if it's his fault or whatever effects they were using, but his voice grated on my nerves in a hurry (this was in theater, btw, so maybe watching on my laptop it would be different.) The other thing is partially from having wrong expectations, but I saw reviews saying "anything can happen here", so it had me thinking maybe there was a super risky ending..... Yeah, right, LOL 

Aside from that, though, I do remember greatly enjoying it, just not as much as the second movie, but probably at least as much as Batman Begins, if not even a bit more. Heath Ledger's Joker just lifted TDK far above the other two (and any other superhero movies I've seen, tbh.)
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

^I've only ever seen The Dark Knight Rises once, but I think my main issue with it was that Tom Hardy's Bane voice just didn't sound good, at all. I'm not sure if it's his fault or whatever effects they were using, but his voice grated on my nerves in a hurry (this was in theater, btw, so maybe watching on my laptop it would be different.) The other thing is partially from having wrong expectations, but I saw reviews saying "anything can happen here", so it had me thinking maybe there was a super risky ending..... Yeah, right, LOL 

Aside from that, though, I do remember greatly enjoying it, just not as much as the second movie, but probably at least as much as Batman Begins, if not even a bit more. Heath Ledger's Joker just lifted TDK far above the other two (and any other superhero movies I've seen, tbh.)

I have no idea what Bane is 'supposed' to sound like, but considering the previous live action version of Bane was this grunting dimwit in Batman & Robin:

I'd think Tom Hardy's Bane should be cut some slack. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 7:52pm

Much meddled with in it's production by people who didn't understand it. It's a good movie, but had the potential to be great.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 11:27pm

Steven Spielberg's so-called "flop" (it was a modest success, by Spielberg's standards) is a cross between It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World and Dad's Army. There's some great set piece scenes here just unfortunately buried by a little too much pointless silliness.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 4:18am

Watchable enough, but kinda meh. 

When you hear a bit of dialogue in a movie and say 'hey, that's sampled in that metal song!'

'What metal song was that again?'

Movie wasn't that interesting despite the leads being Peter Cushing and Donald Pleasance. 

Re-watche:

I included this as part of my Batman re-watch run. 

The second viewing has made me realise something about the DCEU: I really do not like this version of The Flash. I don't know if my opinion is just getting influenced by how problematic Miller has become recently, but there's just something about the portrayal of The Flash in this that just makes the character seem kinda gormless. You've got these five other badass characters in the team and then there's The Flash coming across as the comic relief twit. 

Or it may just be that Miller is difficult watch considering everything they've been up to off screen.
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

When you hear a bit of dialogue in a movie and say 'hey, that's sampled in that metal song!'

'What metal song was that again?'

What was the sample and what was the song?
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 5:13am
I found it now: It's Witchwood by Blood Ceremony.
GG2U

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 6:47pm
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 1:12am

Righting a wrong committed 45 years ago! My cousins got to see The Rescuers, but me and my brothers didn't! I was so envious! Anyway, all fixed now. I do believe 5-year-old me would have appreciated it a lot more than 50-year-old me did. But anyway, it's a Disney movie, so there's anthropomorphic animals, the goodies win, and the baddies get their comeuppance.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 4:20am

Yes, another coast to coast road race movie, but this is the best of the lot of them and leaves all the Cannonball incarnations in the dust. More driving, better stunts, a great cast, and a coherent storyline. This is also the first movie I ever saw in a movie theatre. Since it was 1976 I must have been 4, and I went with my father. He loves fast cars, and Mum would have had no idea wat this was about.Wink
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 3:27am

I'd forgotten how genuinely funny this movie is! It's the movie that really cemented Bill Murray and Rodney Dangerfeld as movie stars (Dangerfield was already nearly 60 and had mostly done TV before this), and was Harold Ramis' first movie as a director. Ramis nearly fucked it all up, originally coming in with a 4.5 hour film that wasn't funny, but some great editing and a few new scenes fixed it all.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 7:34am
I have a bunch of re-watches to post here, but for now, just posting on a first time viewing:

I think I watched a different movie to what most people saw when they went to see Thor: Love and Thunder. Because I was told this was bad. Like, really bad come back The Dark World all is forgiven bad. 

I wouldn't say it's better than Ragnarok, which is a contender for my favourite MCU movie, but this was a lot of fun, with a really rocking soundtrack (mostly Guns n Roses), although it has some really dark moments too. Gorr the God-Butcher is a really creepy villain (though at the same time a sympathetic villain). 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 4:51pm

OK, gotta admit I only watched this because Peter Griffin keeps kicking things and saying "Road House", and I wanted to see why. It's a pretty basic goodies vs baddies movie, but it's got some great fight scenes all through it, and Jeff Buckley appears several times. It's not high art, but I can see why it's a cult classic. 

Best line: "A polar bear fell on me".

Edited by Vim Fuego - 09 Sep 2022 at 4:52pm
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2022 at 3:23am

So glad I didn't have to do what these guys did. It doesn't gloss over the horrors of war, and bombing in particular, but at the same time puts it in a context - it was young people doing what they had to do stuck in a bastard of a situation.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2022 at 8:24pm

One of my favourite stand-ups. I've seen almost all of this in clips on YouTube.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2022 at 12:49am

I found this a bit of a yawn, but it has it's moments.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2022 at 2:32am

Ya try not to give away spoilers, but when the best scene of the whole movie is on the promo poster... Anyway Jan Michael Vincent is in fine form here, and Slim Pickens isn't bad either. It's not particularly original or groundbreaking, but there's some cool trucking scenes.

Edited by Vim Fuego - 11 Sep 2022 at 2:33am
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 10:09pm

I'm somewhere in the middle on this one. It's definitely not the worst MCU movie of all time (Eternals and especially the two Ant-Man movies are worse than this LOL), but this was definitely my least favorite Thor movie, by quite a bit. Gorr was a great villain, and I actually think the more dramatic scenes were generally quite good. Sadly, this may be the most tonally dissonant movie I've seen since The Last Jedi, with the dark scenes feeling like they come from an entirely different movie from whatever the fuck cringey comedy that breaks out in between all the serious parts. I found Ragnarok funny outside of a few annoying parts, where this one feels like it removes anything remotely funny and instead takes the annoying crap and dials it up to 1000. Almost as bad as Ant-Man levels of comedy at points, especially those damn goats Dead

Edited by DippoMagoo - 12 Sep 2022 at 10:13pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234235236237238 256>
  Share Topic