Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 230231232233234 256>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 8:05am

Another gem from Indicator. Like Bellman & True, bugger all people have rated this film online. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 5:18pm

This could be a fairly innocent if mindbending film, but its anime from Japan, so it's a bit less innocent mindbending film. Too much talking about boobs (in a sexual manner) and multiple crotch grabs (in a non-sexual, totally to inflict pain manner) make it not really one for the kids. If you're thinking 'WTF' right now you'd be justified. Then there's the actual plot...

It was a good movie. Haven't quite got my head around it after one viewing. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 3:03pm

And here we have a contender for the biggest headtrip movie of all time. Wasn't entirely sure what I was letting myself in for with this one, and it's not as expected in some ways and about as I imagined in others. Not a movie for everyone and certainly has some distasteful stuff, but is also oddly fascinating. An extreme anime art film.
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2022 at 4:11am

Low budget and uneven pacing, but it's got a brillantly gory destructive ending. It's played deadpan straight, but it's really a very dark comedy.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2022 at 8:17am

From the dark side of anime. This one really plays up body horror elements, with visuals draped with noirish vibes as it weaves its story of a human world and a demon world trying to co-exist. A very graphic movie in every way imaginable. 

Contained within the same set as the previous film this explores some of the same themes and is by the same director, but it's not actually a sequel to Wicked City. Certain aspects including the horror are toned down compared to that film, but it's still a solid dark anime for adults only. 

Last film out of my recent Indicator haul. From Nicolas Roeg, who made better known films including Don't Look Now and The Man Who Fell to Earth. Known for weird films, this one is comparatively grounded, though it's still a full-on psych drama. A difficult film to really say I liked, because of its hard subject matter and over the top performances, but I respect what it was trying to be and for the most part it succeeds. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2022 at 3:01pm

A lot of people don't much like the humour from these guys, but I think this is fucking hilarious! It's slap-stick and illogical, but there are some brilliant jokes among the stupid. There's a few guest appearances too, from Brian Posehn, RuPaul, P!nk, and Patton Oswalt.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2022 at 6:44pm

A documentary about the Church of Satan. Not terribly deep or revealing, but it's an interesting look at it.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2022 at 10:30pm

Not deep or meaningful, but it's got Hulk Hogan in and it's got wrestling, so it doesn't need anything else. And it's got this brilliant quote:  It's Harley and ME and YOU in the tree!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2022 at 11:58pm

Doesn't feel that long ago since I saw this but I just added it to my growing anime blu-ray collection. The movie really holds up well. 

I've never been that interested in seeing Top Gun but given all the rave reports for the sequel I decided to finally watch it. No comment as yet though because I got distracted by a Reddit argument half way through so I'm going to need to go back to the point Maverick goes to Charlie's house and pick it up again. 
GG2U

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2022 at 12:25am

bit disappointing
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2022 at 2:45am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I got distracted by a Reddit argument half way through

Do you mean the one on r/StardewValley? I saw your posts. For what it's worth that other person was pushing double standards and using gender stereotyping as their 'evidence'.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2022 at 3:07am
Originally posted by TheHeavyMetalCat TheHeavyMetalCat wrote:

Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I got distracted by a Reddit argument half way through

Do you mean the one on r/StardewValley? I saw your posts. For what it's worth that other person was pushing double standards and using gender stereotyping as their 'evidence'.

Yeah, that's the one. I don't normally like to get into internet arguments, especially not over video game theory, but when someone takes my words out of context and twists them to suit their own agenda, I'm not about to sit idle and let them do it. 

Nice to see you on that sub by the way. I wasn't aware you played the game. 
GG2U

TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2022 at 3:44am
I play that game far too much. Tongue
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2022 at 10:45pm

OK, I'll admit it - it was a bit too surreal for me, and I have no fucking idea what this is ultimately all about. Still, an interesting diversion for an afternoon. There's a bit of a who's who of Biritsh actors from the early 70s, including Helen Mirren who surprisingly stays fully clad in this one.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 12:45am

Over the top fun. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 4:05am

Why do I subject myself to so many shit movies?LOL Unlike a lot of B-movies of this calibre, there's actually been a bit of effort put in here. Imagine Horizon Zero Dawn without the cool robots and you'll have some idea of the setting. There's a bit of reimagining of language, but 900 years after the destruction of civilisation this actually works reasonably convincingly. The fights and stunts aren't bad either. Basically, it's hot chicks vs cool dudes without being totally exploitative.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 6:20am

So the times I've seen this is now up to 2, but the first film remains at 0. This is good though. Not exactly essential Scorsese and the blu ray release has very disappointing picture quality, but the film is compelling sports drama. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 2:57pm

So I have a weird story about this one. This is the first time I've seen it, but it's a movie I've been aware of since it originally came out and I wanted to watch it at the time. My parents had it on DVD, but disallowed me to watch it even though it's only rated 12 and I was over that at the time. Actually I would have even been over 15 by that point, the next age rating up in my country. My parents were always very strict about what I could watch (which was quite a drag since I seemed to be the only kid at school that wasn't already allowed to watch 18 rated movies and the other kids knew it and gave me a lot of stick about it) and this was well before the days of Netflix and other streamers so accessing movies wasn't that simple, and this movie is the only time I remember them actually forbidding me to watch something that I was older than the age restriction for. I distinctly remember protesting at the time, but they pulled the old one 'it's our DVD so we get to say if you can watch it or not'. And now I've finally seen it and I'm even more puzzled as to why. There's like one scene of brief, incredibly minor nudity, very little swearing, and the violent scenes are tame/not very graphic.

Basically, what the fuck? Confused

The film was good. Maybe could have used a bit more action and the tension ramped up a bit more often. I'm reminded somewhat of the later Tenet, which is ironic considering the lead stars of both movies are father and son.

I'm glad I finally saw it, although its going to puzzle me for the rest of my life wondering why my parents never let me watch it. No point bringing it up with them, I almost guarantee that they won't remember ever doing this. 

Edited by adg211288 - 10 Jul 2022 at 2:58pm
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 4:03am

Wow, your memory can really play tricks. I remember this being a classic comedy from my teenage years. Great cast, cool cars, brilliant concept... disappointingly shit movie. Wonder if Cannonball II and Smokey and The Bandit have both aged so badly?
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 3:59pm

So basically Harley Quinn is DC's answer to Deadpool. And that's not necessarily a bad thing since this one was just a load of good, stupid fun, which I'll take any day over the slogs that were the earlier DCEU movies. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 230231232233234 256>
  Share Topic