Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 198199200201202 256>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 9:37pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 11:02am

Took a blind buy gamble on this one and it paid off. Very intriguing, stunningly shot movie (especially the early island sequences). 

Haven't done one of these for a while, but it's also time for...

RYM Satire!

L'Avventura, an Italian film telling the tale of Anna, Claudia and Sandro after Anna goes mysteriously missing during a yachting cruise and the latter pairs efforts to find out what happened to her (while also inappropriately falling for each other even though Sandro is supposed to be with Anna).

RYM genre police: Not a mystery movie. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 7:38am

Very solid horror. 

Silent film. Quite short, only about 47 minutes. Considered a horror movie for its time, though it's obviously very tame by modern standards. That said, it likely contains roots of ideas present in the body horror genre.

I don't care what anyone says: this was a lot of fun. Like Pirates of the Caribbean, Indiana Jones, The African Queen and even a bit of Aguirre, the Wrath of God all rolled into one. Plus its got Metallica music in it, which you can't say about every Disney film. And Emily Blunt, whom I could watch in almost anything. 

Re-watches:

Saw this off the TV earlier in the year, but I recently picked up the blu-ray (scrabbling to get a copy when it suddenly went out of print, thanks Disney) and it looks stunning in HD from a 2K film restoration. This was, I believe, the first US movie filmed on location in Japan, just ten years on from WWII and it's also a rare example of an original wave film noir released in colour. A must see movie for me.

Pulled this one off my shelf as it's a movie I've owned for years while also have not re-watched for years (though I'm reasonably sure I've previously seen it twice). I'm of two minds whether its a keeper. Far from my favourite horror by any means but it does have something that elevates it above the typical drivel. I guess it will survive my collection purge for now. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 11:50am

My second time watching Dawn of the Dead and this time I watched the extended cut. I can't really recall what bits weren't in the earlier version I saw (which was the Italian cut), but I know I dug this movie more this time around, which is the same experience I had with Night of the Living Dead. I've still not seen Day of the Dead at all. 

Started going through some more DVDs that I may not keep and first up was Friday the 13th, which I recall being rather poor despite its legendary status. I was sure this one would be getting ditched but it opened up a lot this time around. I'm not sure it earns its status among the likes of Halloween, but it turns out its a keeper after all. 

This one's quite decent with a really good atmosphere but the actual story is basic and upon conclusion of a second viewing I'm just left feeling that I really don't need to see this ever again. One for the get rid of pile. 

One of the DVDs I've owned for the longest time and had never watched it again until today. Must have had this over ten years since I'm sure it wasn't that old of a film when I got it. I didn't not enjoy it, but it could easily go back on the shelf and sit there gathering dust for another decade without coming down again, so not a keeper. 
GG2U

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 3:38pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 3:00pm
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 4:51pm

Not seen this in a lot of years, and had forgotten how good the whole Potterverse looks. Going to carry on through the rest of the series now.Smile
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 7:59am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

What do you think of this one? I've seen it twice but made the mistake both times of trying to watch it late at night and getting sleepy and inattentive. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 8:04am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Not seen this in a lot of years, and had forgotten how good the whole Potterverse looks. Going to carry on through the rest of the series now.Smile

This one has a real sense of wonder that isn't re-captured again, especially with the arrival at Hogwarts sequence and Sorting. Can't believe it's 20 years old. That makes me feel old, but I'm pleasantly surprised how well the whole series holds up. I'm currently working my way through them for the second time in as many months, since I went through my DVDs last month only to find that for some inexplicable reason my Order of the Phoenix stops working halfway through the movie, so I ended up replacing the whole set with the blu-ray boxset, which I'm now half way through. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 8:06am

Considerably weirder than anticipated. By a country mile even. I enjoyed it though. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 9:24am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

(cure)

What do you think of this one? I've seen it twice but made the mistake both times of trying to watch it late at night and getting sleepy and inattentive. 

It was ok, didn't blow me away.  I don't mind slow horror movies but this one isn't very horror.  
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 2:46pm

Brilliant anime film. Three homeless people, a drunk, a transwoman and a teenage runaway, find a baby abandoned in the trash and set out to find its mother, which is anything but straightforward. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 9:07pm
217747-a-record-of-sweet-murder-0-460-0-690-crop

knowing ahead of time that this one is (slightly) connected to Noroi and Occult, that's not the ending I expected

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 01 Dec 2021 at 9:09pm
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 1:45am

The little wizards are a bit bigger... The cast and story expands a bit.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 9:16am

Slow burning (just about) neo-western that's actually more of a psychological drama than a traditional western. Benedict Cumberbatch plays the biggest on film arsehole I've seen in some time. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 11:39pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 1:15am

This is the best 2021 film I've seen to date. And is also very likely Ridley Scott's best film since Blade Runner. 

Edited by adg211288 - 03 Dec 2021 at 5:58am
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 3:50am

Pretty solid space movie but it does lose something as it goes along. And the ending glosses over far too much. 

I don't even know where to begin with this one. I can't decide if it's a masterpiece or the biggest pile of steaming crap I've ever seen. It's certainly a long difficult watch and more intriguing than riveting viewing. It's about another planet which is just like Earth but stuck in their middle ages, with Earthlings having infiltrated them. The depiction of the kind of squalor of these times is certainly unmatched by any other movie. It's really quite foul to watch. Lots of mud, blood, piss and shit and bare arses. I had to take a break half way through its three hour runtime, because I just couldn't take any more by that point. By the time the difficult to follow plot actually concludes it had also lost most of my attention. 

If I'm still thinking about it over a year from now like I was with Stalker I may seek it out again to re-evaluate, but for now I'd say 2 stars at most. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 9:39am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Pretty solid space movie but it does lose something as it goes along. And the ending glosses over far too much. 

Personally I thought this was one of the worst space movies I've ever seen. I really hated it.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 10:05am

Sweet! Hippogriffs! The werewolf was a bit shit though, as they generally are.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 198199200201202 256>
  Share Topic