Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 197198199200201 256>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 11:08am
Overlord (2018), D-Day meets Re-Animator: Well..it was entertaining enough, but nothing surprising...
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4530422/

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 12:57pm
Started watching all 8 films again with my son. They are still as brilliant as I remember them:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0241527/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 3:06pm
I love the scene where Harry gives the sock to Dobby Clap...in your face Malfoy:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0295297/

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 1:43am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Started watching all 8 films again with my son. They are still as brilliant as I remember them:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0241527/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

I watched them again recently as well. Got to Order of the Phoenix and my DVD went wrong halfway through the movie!

Just bought the blu-ray boxset to replace the set. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 2:57am

A bit slow, but has a vibe that makes it very watchable. 

Absolutely amazing film. 
GG2U

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 12:01am

Noroi: The Curse
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 12:36am

Yeah, it was alright. I love OTT ultraviolence, and people leaping about with guns in slo-mo, but this just came across as wanting to be a Tarantino film but lacked the stylish quirk.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 11:49am

Cross of Iron (1977):
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074695/

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 2:36pm
God damn I just love Guy Ritchie´s movies:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8367814/

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 10:06pm

Not an easy watch, but some great performances.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 11:42pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 2:45am
Columbia Noir Boxsets #2

Disc 4: Affair in Trinidad. Quite the hidden gem this time. On the surface looks like one of the more romantic noirs of the day, but it hides an espionage plot. The movie reunites Gilda stars Glenn Ford (his second appearance in the Columbia Noir 2 set) and Rita Hayworth, but this time Ford is playing second fiddle to Hayworth, though he gets his chance to be the hero at the end of the film when it, perhaps unfortunately, ultimately falls back on the damsel in distress trope. But ultimately its very good.

Three Stooges:

Paired due to the tropical setting and use of spies, this was a pretty great Three Stooges romp. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 1:35pm
Pretty brilliant this one:
Javier Bardem is fantastic. What a screwed up killer.
Tommy Lee Jones and Josh Brolin are pretty much as they always are...really great.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0477348/

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Pretty brilliant this one:
Javier Bardem is fantastic. What a screwed up killer.
Tommy Lee Jones and Josh Brolin are pretty much as they always are...really great.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0477348/

This is one of those rare occasions where the book and the movie are both excellent.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 9:45pm

Had been wanting to rewatch this for years. Finally found a version with English dubbing (would also have done subtitles, but couldn't find one). Anyway, this is an amazing film from beginning to end. The stat at the beginning was incredible - 40,000 German sailors set off in U-boats during WW2. 30,000 never returned.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Had been wanting to rewatch this for years. Finally found a version with English dubbing (would also have done subtitles, but couldn't find one). Anyway, this is an amazing film from beginning to end. The stat at the beginning was incredible - 40,000 German sailors set off in U-boats during WW2. 30,000 never returned.

Yeah only 1/4 returned, that´s terrrible numbers. I´ve been reading quite a few articles about WW2 the last couple of weeks, and when you begin to dig into some of the details and situations of the war, it´s just one long horror story. The terrible war crimes (not just the German/Italian/Japanese crimes), and just the sense of dread and doom that regular folks must have felt in their everyday lives. It´s been nearly 80 years since the end of the war, and there are still scars that´ll take longer than that to heal.

That´s actually my main concern about the Brits leaving the European Union. Maybe not in the short run, but who knows who´s leaving next and leaves some territory voulnerable for political influences that won´t benefit a collective Europe. I´m usually not the type of guy who fears things that may or may not happen, but this particular incident has left me with a great fear of the future.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 1:37am
A lot of us Brits didn't even want Brexit. In fact I'd argue that despite the way the vote went the majority of us didn't say yea for it, once you add up all the remainers and those who didn't vote at all. Personally I consider it among the dumbest things my country has ever done and it was also quite a farce because unless you were actively following it or politics in general, a lot of people weren't actually clear on what they were voting for. I remember it as just something that got mumbled about on the news every so often. Few people I knew saw it as something to take seriously - just one of those rumbles trying to upset the apple cart that would never happen (of course we've seen a few things happen in the last few years that could be said for: a worldwide pandemic forcing us into lockdown, Brexit and the US elected Donald Trump). Then suddenly we became aware that we were actually expected to vote on it and I believe a lot of people voted to leave the EU based on very little actual information of what it actually meant. A lot people thought it was all about stopping immigrants from entering the UK. Not that I have a problem with taking in immigrants feeling something like the Taliban (fuck those guys), but see how that turned out?

I've yet to see one actual benefit of leaving the EU. All Brexit seems to have done is raise costs for British people, and complicate managing Covid (last year's port fiasco for instance, where Boris Johnson ended up having to throw UK fishing rights under the bus to get France to cooperate). 

Fuck Brexit. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 8:08am

Excellent neo-noir. Laurence Fishburne goes undercover amongst drug dealers, chief among them Jeff Goldblum. Lines are, inevitably, crossed. 

Quite a hidden gem from the 1940s. Think One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest but with women. 

Legal drama with flashbacks. One of the most tragic films I've ever watched I think. I found myself with sympathetic to the woman on trial even though she totally did it. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 8:14am
Columbia Noir boxsets #2

Disc 5: Tight Spot. A bit different this one. While a serious film it also has elements of comedy (through Ginger Rogers performance) which is unusual for a noir. All in all it's very solid with supporting performances from Brian Keith and Edward G. Robinson. 

Three Stooges:

Moe is on trial for (gasp) assaulting Larry and Curly. Flashbacks then reveal what happened. This one would actually pair well with La verite above even more than Tight Spot. Very good short overall. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 8:20am
Columbia Noir boxsets #2

Disc 6: Murder by Contract. This film is actually credited by Martin Scorsese as the film that influenced him the most. The tone and style is markedly difference from the rest of the Columbia Noir series up until this point and I've seen some comments online that credit this as being the first Neo-Noir movie, although it was released in the timeframe of original noir. It could almost be a black comedy as well, as the supposed top hitman fails to take out his target.

Three Stooges:

The trio gets mistaken for professors, when they're actually mechanics having done a runner after blowing up the professors car. It all comes to a head with an explosive basketball. 

I don't yet have the third and fourth boxsets of the Columbia Noir series, so this is the end of this series of posts for now. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 197198199200201 256>
  Share Topic