Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 188189190191192 256>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 6:11am

Another Altman. This time, it's a wartime comedy. Hijinks galore that haven't always aged well in today's woke climate. But I can laugh at it as a product of its time. Not a movie to take too seriously, just enjoy. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 11:37am
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 4:59pm

This got all hyped to hell when it was first released, so I fucking avoided it. It's a hot mess of a movie, and seemed like Oliver Stone was trying to be too fucking clever for his own good, and trying to hit too many movie tropes, which distracts from the main story. Woody Harrelson and Juliette Lewis are both excellent, Robert Downey Jr is a bit OTT (and his Aussie accent is fucking awful!), but the stand-out for me was Rodney Dangerfield, playing so much against type as Mallory's abusive father as to be genuinely terrifying in what was his only dramatic role.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 6:12pm
I also found Natural Born Killers to be sloppy and overrated
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 9:48pm

I remember a number of the deaths in this from when I saw this as a kid. The one in the lift stuck with me longest... Anyway, William Holden got to make up for the mistake he made in turning down the original Omen movie. While not quite as shocking as the first (I mean, you already know people are gonna die because of a boy who's now a teenager), the story is still pretty strong, the faked up prophecies are mostly well done, and the range of ways people die is quite imaginative.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 12:19am

Wow, I can see why this is considered a classic now. A masterful piece of film-making. The Soviet propaganda is kind of obvious, but the storytelling is excellent from a time when actions rather than words had to tell most of the story.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 8:37am
^ Definitely a must watch from the silent era. 

Very long overdue second watch of this one from John Carpenter. 

Loosely based on actual events, this modern(ish) prospecting for gold movie was pretty solid. I've had this on my Prime watchlist almost as long as we've had Prime in the house, but finally watched it last night after it appeared on the limited time remaining list. I wasn't familiar with the source truth behind the movie before watching and I didn't see the final outcome coming. 

And with that I complete my run through the Tarantino films. Between other single re-watches I'm not sure what I'll do next, perhaps a franchise before another director run. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 11:27am

Much better than I expected. Watched this one with the missus, who had got it from her mother, so I was expecting it to be bored shitless. I wasn't. This is both tragic and witty. Judi Dench is her usual wonderful self.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 3:57pm

This is (probably) rightly considered a classic of the heist genre, but I didn't find it as rewatchable as I'd expected. Not like The Killing that also stars Sterling Hayden. Director John Huston definitely made better films, especially those with Humphrey Bogart. My DVD copy of this is also a bit ropey, with lots of visible film damage on the transfer, which always hurts my enjoyment of an old film. It could really use a restoration (actually there is one, but it's not available in the UK and the movie is actually hard to find here in any condition). 

This was pretty entertaining. Technically a romcom but black comedy with it. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 11:20am

I quite liked the first one. The second was watchable enough but lacked some of the charm of the first. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 3:06pm

Excellent spaghetti western with Lee Van Cleef. He isn't the protagonist, more a mentor character who gradually is revealed as the true villain. Second watch for me on this one: was one of my first Arrow Video pickups. 

Not quite as middling as its reputation for me, but certainly missing a spark of actual greatness. But it's in the kind of genre of period gangster film I like. Dustin Hoffman plays real life gangster Dutch Schultz, but like with Day of Anger above, the well known actor despite top billing isn't the lead and it's otherwise a fictional story about the title character. Bruce Willis also features in a more minor role. Sadly for it's status as a film, most probably remember this for Nicole Kidman's full frontal nude scenes that do nothing to serve the plot. And maybe that's all I'll remember of this in a few weeks as well. 

And finally another long overdue re-watch. This is much better than I remember it being. I'm not sure why I had some middle of the road memories of this one. Classic Brian De Palma right here as well as a good Stephen King adaptation (from what I recall of the novel, which is one of the few non-Dark Tower King books I've read). 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

And finally another long overdue re-watch. This is much better than I remember it being. I'm not sure why I had some middle of the road memories of this one. Classic Brian De Palma right here as well as a good Stephen King adaptation (from what I recall of the novel, which is one of the few non-Dark Tower King books I've read). 

I've seen a "making of" of this, and the scene at the dance leading up to the bucket of blood incident was all done in a single long shot. Looked really impressive when you realised how technically difficult it was.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 7:50pm

not a fan
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 10:35pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 6:55am

Very funny!
GG2U

LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 7:49am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 4:18pm

I have Doctor Sleep on order so thought I'd get prepared with my fourth watch of The Shining. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 12:09am

Well this was arse. Cool theme tune. Cool helicopter but not enough of it. Ernest Borgnine giving it all but has a piss poor role. Jan-Michael Vincent shows the acting range of an Easter Island moai.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 12:00pm

This is a very different film to The Shining and that's a good thing. Unlike The Shining I have never read the book of Doctor Sleep, but I felt that as presented here it did a great job of expanding upon the world seen in Kubrick's film. The re-cast actors for flashbacks and ghosts were extremely well chosen for continuity, especially Carl Lumbly taking over for Scatman Crothers as Dick Halloran. I went straight in with the director's cut of the film, which is three hours long, but it didn't feel it. Really quite impressed. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 4:06pm

Decided to give this version a look to see if it's as bad as people say. Thought for a while that even though it was unnecessary and inferior to the 1960s version it was watchable enough, but it ruined it in the second half. The original is a masterpiece of atmospheric terror. This one ends up relying heavily on CGI that clearly isn't up to the task of being effective. The cast, while the most high profile of names across any version including the Netflix series, also feels rather mismatched with each other and mostly feel miscast in their roles compared to the other two versions, with the exception of Lili Taylor. Overall, despite a few positive factors including the set design, a waste of a couple of hours. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 188189190191192 256>
  Share Topic