Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 187188189190191 256>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 1:45pm

Third time on this vampire masterpiece. Despite being in set in Iran and in Farsi, this is actually an American film that was shot in California, with a noted influence of the Spaghetti Western genre. Light on dialogue, and slow in plot development, which results in something really atmospheric that certainly also pays homage to genre roots like Nosferatu and German Expressionism of the 1920s. I could happily watch this one at least once every year. 

An overdue second viewing of this John Ford classic. I could do with a better version though, if one is out there. The transfer on my DVD copy has some instances of glaring film damage. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I love this movie. Really stirs the emotions. 

I just read a comment on Reddit:

"We’re as far from Fast Times [at Ridgemont High] as Fast Times was from Casablanca"

And now I feel really fucking old... And also confused that someone would mention both these movies in the same sentence.LOL
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 11:24pm

So much better than I expected! More than a bit sexy in a trashy 80s way, low budget horror special effects, some great double entendres and one-liners, and just damn good smutty fun. Wish I'd managed to see it when I was a teenager.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 4:36am

Not seen this in years. Really well made, creepy as fuck in places, and some excellent supporting characters in David Warner as photographer Keith Jennings, Patrick Troughton as  the manic Father Brennan, and Billie Whitelaw as the terrifying nanny Mrs. Baylock.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 5:09am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Not seen this in years. Really well made, creepy as fuck in places, and some excellent supporting characters in David Warner as photographer Keith Jennings, Patrick Troughton as  the manic Father Brennan, and Billie Whitelaw as the terrifying nanny Mrs. Baylock.

Now here's one I must put on my own re-watch list. I have the boxset of these. Don't remember all the sequels being up to much but I'd certainly like to give the original trilogy a once over again. I think I've actually only seen even this first one the once. 
GG2U

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 9:59am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 1:56pm

Now here's one I'd been meaning to watch again for so long that hardly any of the film was familiar to me. It's perhaps a typical 90's action flick, but it's fun as hell and Travolta and Cage, who both don't always appear in the best projects, are both good in it. 

Another long overdue second watch. I don't think it an unearned accolade to call Interstellar this generation's 2001. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 2:17am

Not seen this in years. I got the soundtrack album for my 12th birthday. Anyway... to me this is a better and more relatable Gen-X teen movie than fucking Breakfast Club. This actually has tractors, and I spent A LOT of my teen years on a fucking tractor.Wink
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 4:57am

AKA Terribly Happy, to give it its English title. 

Good quirky Danish film that gets progressively darker. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 2:40pm
The Purge: Election Year
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4094724/
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 3:13pm

Typical Disney remake fare. It's a fine movie, but is so woke it basically turns it into an alternate history tale. If they wanted a diverse cast, why not set it in modern times instead of starting off in 1909? And in the American south no less. There's absolutely no way Lady's owners would be a married mixed race couple back then. I know things were pretty shitty back then for people of colour (to put it mildly), but I don't see how re-writing history to fit a modern narrative is helping anyone. Especially not in a family movie. What exactly is that teaching the kids? That it doesn't matter what shit you do because future generations will pretend it never happened? Fucked if I know. 

I actually quite liked the movie. But the setting is just weird. 

Third watch, at least. Might even be my fourth. Not a film that ever feels like it's over 2.5 hours long to me. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 12:39pm

A lot better than I was expecting. I really only remember Gary Cooper from Sergeant York, but he's really good here, playing a brooding, conflicted marshal. And this also features a young Grace Kelly as his wife, who I hadn't realised was quite such a beauty. The paid apparently had an affair during the filming (Cooper age 50, Kelly age 21!). What's really impressive about this movie is that while it's quite short (84 minutes), it's shot in real time, or very close to it.

It was intended as an allegory for the McCarthyist blacklisting (Lloyd Bridges plays a supporting role, and was "grey listed") which was going on in Hollywood at the time, and as such was snubbed for best picture at the Oscars, and John Wayne hated it and was still complaining about it 20 years later.

It also features Harry Morgan (Colonel Potter from M.A.S.H.), Lee van Cleef before he was a leading man, and Sheb Wooley, who later produced the famous "Wilhelm scream".
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

A lot better than I was expecting. I really only remember Gary Cooper from Sergeant York, but he's really good here, playing a brooding, conflicted marshal. And this also features a young Grace Kelly as his wife, who I hadn't realised was quite such a beauty. The paid apparently had an affair during the filming (Cooper age 50, Kelly age 21!). What's really impressive about this movie is that while it's quite short (84 minutes), it's shot in real time, or very close to it.

It was intended as an allegory for the McCarthyist blacklisting (Lloyd Bridges plays a supporting role, and was "grey listed") which was going on in Hollywood at the time, and as such was snubbed for best picture at the Oscars, and John Wayne hated it and was still complaining about it 20 years later.

It also features Harry Morgan (Colonel Potter from M.A.S.H.), Lee van Cleef before he was a leading man, and Sheb Wooley, who later produced the famous "Wilhelm scream".

This wasn't the only western that John Wayne famously hated. Another one is Eastwood's High Plains Drifter. Apparently he even wrote a letter to Eastwood denouncing the film. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 1:16pm

Third watch on this one. A powerful performance from Bogart as a volatile screenwriter in the frame for murder. 

Perhaps not Tarantino's most snappy movie, but I would call it his sometimes misunderstood cinematic masterpiece. 

One more to go on the Tarantino re-watch, then I'm thinking of either doing a franchise or the Hitchcock's I own. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 2:40pm

File under: So Bad, It's Good. 

It also has Vincent Price, which is always a bonus. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 4:39am

Not seen this in years and had forgotten how funny it is! Just the perfect antidote to a hell of a hard week at work (unlike these guys though, I like my job, and my office is really nice).
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 4:46am
Two films that I've seen before that didn't make the best impression the first time around, but resonated a lot more on these second shots.

Considered the first 'true' Brian De Palma film, Sisters really wears its influences on its sleeve, especially the Hitchcock ones. It's a pretty great film though and I don't know why this didn't strike me the first time around. 

This one also opened up a lot, but I do actually get why it took two goes to appreciate this one. It's not the easiest of films and I'm still not sure exactly which characters are real and which ones are all in the lead's head, especially when the same character can sometimes be flesh and blood and at other times, an hallucination. It's quite a mindfuck of a movie actually. It's a movie that really intrigues me though: I can see myself picking up a physical copy sometime. The director Robert Altman is also of great interest to me at the moment. While I don't have a film from him yet that has hit my top tier, I find myself greatly respecting his work even if it isn't always immediate, which is most of it save The Long Goodbye and the underrated Kansas City. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 3:53pm
The First Purge (2018):
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6133466/

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 8:45pm

Funny as fuck. Only in a Kevin Smith movie would a donkey sex show seem normal. And King Diamond's music keeps popping up for demonic interludes...
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 9:15pm
Gayn*****s From Outer Space (No fucking way am I putting up THAT movie poster!)

Curiosity can be a good thing, but not in this case. Absolutely awful, and the joke falls flat as fuck.

And it's on YouTube if you have 27 masochistic minutes to waste.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 187188189190191 256>
  Share Topic