Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 186187188189190 256>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 3:43pm

RYM Satire time:

Gosford Park, set in 1932, is a study of the British class system of years past; on one side, the upper classes as they gather for a weekend shooting party, and the servants they depend upon. 

RYM Genre Police: This is not a period drama. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Possibly Argento's last really great movie, though I did enjoy Opera as well. Certainly my most watched of his, though I expect Deep Red will overtake it over time. Utterly foul on a level far above other films I've seen of his, but the genre mix and soundtrack are awesome. 

I like Trauma, Stendhal Syndrome and Sleepless all more than Opera
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

^I remember it like a drug/cop movie set on a space station. I remeber enjoying it, but it´s been maybe 30 years since I watched it last, so I may have changed my perspective since then LOL

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Didn't really pick up the western vibe myself at all.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 10:47pm

Some movies make war seem noble and glorious. Others show it to be dirty and terrifying. This falls into the second category. Films showing the Eastern Front told from a German perspective aren't too common, which helps set this apart too.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Some movies make war seem noble and glorious. Others show it to be dirty and terrifying. This falls into the second category. Films showing the Eastern Front told from a German perspective aren't too common, which helps set this apart too.

Great film. Peckinpah was mostly known for his westerns, but I think this is one of his best works. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

^I remember it like a drug/cop movie set on a space station. I remeber enjoying it, but it´s been maybe 30 years since I watched it last, so I may have changed my perspective since then LOL

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Didn't really pick up the western vibe myself at all.

Me neither. I think I must have seen this before High Noon so wouldn't have picked up any references to that movie that Outland is supposed to have. I mostly wanted to see this one because Star One did a song on it. Wink

I'm due a re-watch of this one, for sure. I don't think I was too blown away by the movie before, though I seem to recall still enjoying it somewhat. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 2:08pm

This is one of those films that is much darker and more subtly messed up than the poster would suggest. 

Infinitely rewatchable. 

Very well made for a movie with a very basic premise (which has probably been done before). Good tension and visuals. The ending credits song choice is also genius. Probably not a rewatcher, but worth 90 minutes of anyone's time. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 12:43am

Some great dancing from Gene Kelly, who actually choreographed the movie, and directed by Vincent Minelli, but this is fucking awful! It's a musical I saw live in 1986. I'd forgotten what a shitty, stupid story it actually has. And the songs are passable, but there's nothing that sticks. There are far better musicals out there. Hell, I'd even watch Poultrygeist again before this.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 7:33am

Tried to watch this because parts of it were filmed in my town and the local rag was plugging it. Unfortunately, this is far from the sort of film the local area should be proud of. Quite possibly a contender for the worst film I ever switched off. The acting was awful; some parts of the film looked like the actors were being green screened in instead of film on location (while others parts in the same scenes didn't look like that) and I've seen more convincing special effects in movies made in the 1930s. To say it's amateur doesn't even begin to cover it. 

Banished to the 0.5 section. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 2:06pm

Three anime shorts in an anthology film. Varies in quality, as many anthology films do. I liked the middle one best. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 6:34am

Lucas from Stranger Things sure got big since Netflix last released a season of that. 

This was pretty good. Bit of a genre mix between hood film & coming of age with a neo-western heart, as the characters lament both a bygone way of life and the whitewashing of the old west by Hollywood. Some of the actors are real life modern cowboys that the film is based on. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 4:00pm
I seem to have missed posting this one:

Better on the second watch, but still doesn't really hold a candle to the first. 

Not great to say the least. The whole premise gets old really fast and the plot just then plods along ticking boxes of of just about every cliché plot point you could think of. Tom Holland is a likeable lead, but Spider-Man this ain't. Daisy Ridley had precise little to do except rely on Holland while getting weirded out by him all the time. 

Even more underrated than the first one. 

Brilliant French noir (Polar) film. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 11:05pm

great scores in both 
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 7:36am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 11:25am

Bit hit and miss, but it's nice to find a film in this underused setting. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 7:58pm

worst JCVD movie I've seen to date, John Woo is such a hack moron
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 9:47pm
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 2:38am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Infinitely rewatchable. 

Just watched this myself. Good, relaxing mindless fun!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 4:03pm

Not my favourite Vincent Price movie. Too much of a rehash of The Abdominal Dr Phibes. 

I love this movie. Really stirs the emotions. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:18pm

full of stanky 90s-isms, but Mel makes it watchable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 186187188189190 256>
  Share Topic