Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 185186187188189 256>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2021 at 6:23pm

Gritty and a bit nasty, but a gripping watch. This sparks a few memories of the era, but obviously my life wasn't as hard as this.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2021 at 9:54pm

Do you feel lucky punk? Well, do ya?
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 12:25am
The Purge: Anarchy (2014)

I´m still not a big fan, as I think the premise is a bit ridiculous, but at least they tap right into primal human nature. We are such a destructive (and self-destructive) race...
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2975578/

Edited by UMUR - 04 Sep 2021 at 12:25am
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 12:43am

The funniest war movie ever! The craziness and anarchy combined with the comedic talent and timing makes a 65 minute movie seem so much longer, in a good way.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 12:10am

More big guns and policing outside the rules. I remember seeing this as a kid, and I now wonder about how many parental boundaries I actually had!Shocked
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

The funniest war movie ever! The craziness and anarchy combined with the comedic talent and timing makes a 65 minute movie seem so much longer, in a good way.

I need to see this. Or any Marx Brothers movie really. 

Bit of a blind spot in my film knowledge, the comedy of this era. I've seen a couple of Keaton silents, but no Marx or Chaplin. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 12:43pm

As entertaining as the original in most ways, but this mostly shot for shot colour remake of the 1930's film is perhaps a little pointless and the female lead doesn't sing the iconic song 'The Boys in the Back Room'. Overall not bad, but I'd sooner re-watch the Jimmy Stewart version. 

Meh. Picks up where the iconic original left off, then Charlton Heston buggers off for most of the movie and the ending is a major downer. 

Watched this one quite a few times now. At some point I should also re-watch the remake, to see how they compare. 

Good French film from 1943. Had me guessing all the way through. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 12:32pm

Watched this one a few times now as well. Great survival horror. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 6:12am

Not bad, but messily structured. 

Wrong Turn gets rebooted into something unrecognisable, but hey, it's a better film than the last few from the original series. It's biggest problem is probably that it feels very 2020s in terms of ticking the diversity boxes yet still manages to also use the usual negative tropes associated with those characters, such as killing a character of colour first (who's also gay, just to double whammy it). Mind you, he probably does have the best 'oh shit I'm dead and I know it' moment I've seen in a horror film for a while. I expect this may go some way to explain the division between critics and audiences on this one. Personally I don't care for the idea of such tropes because it makes it sound like minorities should be instead considered untouchable in works of fiction, which is unrealistic and problematic for a budding writer like myself, but this film probably could have done more to be less obvious about it. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 9:25am
Hesher (2010)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1403177/

Entertaining enough, but nothing too special.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 12:37am

Love this movie. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 10:36am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Love this movie. 

I think I liked it too. At least it was a very different take in the vampire genre. Aterton is of course a great actress but it´s Saoirse Ronan I´m mostly impressed by. If you haven´t yet, I strongly suggest that you watch "How I live Now" "https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1894476/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_22", where she is also featured in a lead role. It´s quite the harrowing and brutal post-apocalyptic movie, which feels pretty real. It´s one of the movies in that genre I think about most often along with "The Road", although the two are very different movies. Being British it may even affect you more than me...
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 11:34am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Love this movie. 

I think I liked it too. At least it was a very different take in the vampire genre. Aterton is of course a great actress but it´s Saoirse Ronan I´m mostly impressed by. If you haven´t yet, I strongly suggest that you watch "How I live Now" "https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1894476/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_22", where she is also featured in a lead role. It´s quite the harrowing and brutal post-apocalyptic movie, which feels pretty real. It´s one of the movies in that genre I think about most often along with "The Road", although the two are very different movies. Being British it may even affect you more than me...

Yeah I've seen How I Live Now. Good film. Only seen it once though. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 7:24am

This one just gets better and better with every viewing. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 10:35am
Color Out of Space (2019)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5073642/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Lovecraft horror. It was alright...
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 12:19am

OMG! Misogynist Harry gets saddled with a female partner! How's the grumpy old man gonna cope? Lots of fun gun-waving etc., and Tyne Daly does a great job as Inspector Moore.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 2:13am

Sean Connery sci-fi film I confused with Zardoz many years ago. Don't confuse it with Zardoz...

Anyway, a couple of glaring scientific mistakes aside (gravity, the surface of Io), this is a really convincing looking movie set on a Jovian mining station. Unfortunately, it's just not particularly exciting. There's some cool explosive decompression special effects, and Frances Sternhagen as Dr. Lazarus is a bit of a scene stealer, but Connery seems to be on auto-pilot.

According to Wikipedia: A song based on Outland called "High Moon" was written by Star One (a side project of Ayreon composer Arjen Lucassen) for the Space Metal album. Not familiar myself. The High Moon title is a reference to the film being called "High Noon in space."
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 2:54am
^I remember it like a drug/cop movie set on a space station. I remeber enjoying it, but it´s been maybe 30 years since I watched it last, so I may have changed my perspective since then LOL
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 9:24am

Amusing enough comedy horror/fantasy. The genres have been blended better than this though. 

It's watchable enough I guess. A strong cast. But I probably need to stop watching disaster movies. They just do little for me and ones like this that are based on actual tragic events are even worse. To me, this is documentary subject matters tried to be turned into a media that for me should be above all else about entertainment. I just don't equate the two to being on the same page. 

This one was really good. Great cast. Feels a bit Scorsese-like.

Re-watches now:

Ever rewatchable. 

Possibly Argento's last really great movie, though I did enjoy Opera as well. Certainly my most watched of his, though I expect Deep Red will overtake it over time. Utterly foul on a level far above other films I've seen of his, but the genre mix and soundtrack are awesome. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 2:06pm

Possibly Argento's last really great movie, though I did enjoy Opera as well. Certainly my most watched of his, though I expect Deep Red will overtake it over time. Utterly foul on a level far above other films I've seen of his, but the genre mix and soundtrack are awesome. 

A very young Jennifer Connelly. The first movie I remember watching with her was "Labyrinth", but I realise now that she actually starred in a couple of movies before that including "Phenomena".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 185186187188189 256>
  Share Topic