Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 179180181182183 256>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 9:26am

Re-watch. Giallo serial killer movie. A must for fans of the genre. 

Pretty good, but for me also not up there with Anderson's best ones. Bill Murray is wasted in a cameo only role. 

Edited by adg211288 - 29 Jul 2021 at 9:26am
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 4:03pm
Population 436 (2006) - Kinda, or quite like the movie entitled A Cure for Wellness. Nice one. Well, the wellness (?) of the Rockwell Falls. 7.5/10

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 9:44am

Bleak as fuck. Yet oddly captivating. Not much really happens, yet it still manages to be absorbing. I must be going through a kind of cinematic maturing because there's no way in hell I'd have put up with something like this less than a year ago, much less feel so engrossed by it. 

I definitely wouldn't want to watch it on a day I felt really down though. This is among the most depressing films I've ever seen. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 1:52pm

Excellent French prisoner of war movie from 1937. Very strong anti-war sentiments that feel especially poignant given that World War II broke out only two years later.  
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 8:43am
Just done a back to back double feature of:

Carpenter's is the true classic version, one of my all time favourite movies, but the original holds up really well. As they are very different takes on the story as well they're very easy to double feature like this without feeling like you're treading the same ground again. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 2:58pm

My final movie of July. Saw someone post this here a while back and thought it sounded interesting. It just popped up on Prime, so I thought I'd give it a look. Very entertaining! The men's attitudes toward the female lead are very cringe, though probably period accurate. Moretz was pretty badass in this. The scene where she falls out of the plane only to get blown right back in unharmed pushed the over the top tone into the ridiculous though. Overall I'd call it a very underappreciated little gem. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 4:31pm
Blood Red Sky (2021) Poster
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6402468/

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

My final movie of July. Saw someone post this here a while back and thought it sounded interesting. It just popped up on Prime, so I thought I'd give it a look. Very entertaining! The men's attitudes toward the female lead are very cringe, though probably period accurate. Moretz was pretty badass in this. The scene where she falls out of the plane only to get blown right back in unharmed pushed the over the top tone into the ridiculous though. Overall I'd call it a very underappreciated little gem. 

Yeah, I really liked it for the OTT ridiculousness of it all. She'd make a good career out of being an action star, but I think more serious roles will come.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 11:53am
Finally saw:

Albeit the Italian cut, though when something is branded as the Argento cut that's a selling point for me. Plus it has music from Goblin like Argento's often do. Apparently it has a few bits cut from the movie though. I honestly wasn't blown away by the movie, perhaps because it's one of those films that is so hyped that it can't possible live up to expectations, but I was entertained, especially as it went on. I rarely rate zombie films higher than 4/5 though (my only 5's are both zomedies), so that still puts this on the upper end of the genre for me. 

Mixed feelings. A good and watchable thriller, but I don't see it being one to revisit. There are zero sympathetic characters in the movie, so it's also hard to feel invested in anyone coming out on top. The two kids serve as de facto protagonists by virtue of everyone else being much worse, and they're basically a couple of stupid little pricks who run away from home and have the 'genius' idea to steal a seemingly abandoned police car. It also has quite the non-ending. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 2:09pm

Re-watch. Was solid the first go around, but this one wowed me this time. Definitely a gem of the underappreciated genre that is the Samurai movie. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 1:28am

I think that exhausts the Wes Anderson films currently available to stream. I enjoyed both but Fantastic Mr. Fox may just be a masterpiece. Think I've actually seen at least a bit of this movie before actually. Too many scenes just felt too familiar. 

Re-watches:

I say re-watch, but not a single scene of this movie felt familiar to me. I wanted to see it again because it didn't make an impression the first time and it has a decent rep, but I'm now wondering if the movie I watched before was actually a different film. Confused Either way this was much better than the original 2.5 stars I gave it. 

Second watch and still don't get it. Good movie, but I don't get it.

The epic. I can't quite bring myself to give it five stars though. I just can't help feeling that this one could have been slightly trimmed down from it's close to 3.5 hour runtime. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 3:34am

Stoner humour can be a bit hit and miss for a non-stoner like me, but this is mostly hit. Check out the dogshit joint near the start of the movie...
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 4:09pm
Brimstone (2016). Raw, unpleasant, and sometimes nauseating western. I liked it, but it was painful to watch....
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 4:46pm

Pretty average haunted house fare. Watchable, but far from essential. It seems to set up a possible Conjuring-like franchise, though I don't know if anything will ever come of it. I expect I'll have forgotten about this one by the time it ever does.

Really entertaining! One of the better DCEU movies. 

One of the few non-westerns I've seen with John Wayne. It was okay, but not a re-watcher. 

Quite chilling true crime movie. 

Plus watched these two as a double feature this evening:

The books these were both based on later became the Netflix series The Haunting of Hill House/Bly Manor, so these old 1960s movies make an effective double feature too. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 10:45pm

Yer usual Troma fare - unapologetically tacky and low budget, a bit silly and a bit sexy, and continuity and a coherent story are suggestions rather than necessities.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 3:41pm

Re-watch. Macbeth relocated to Japan as a Samurai movie. 

A surprising gem. What seems to be a fairly straightforward horror flick that wears its influences on its sleeve at first completely changes in its final act, which paints everything you've seen up until that point in a different light. My planned rating of 6/10 turned very quickly into a very solid 8 and it might even be a 9 if it holds up to an eventual re-watch. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Yer usual Troma fare - unapologetically tacky and low budget, a bit silly and a bit sexy, and continuity and a coherent story are suggestions rather than necessities.

Forgot to add, this features music by Clive Burr. I had to double check, but yes, it was by the former Iron Maiden drummer.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 4:34pm

A distinctly Guy Ritchie film. Solid but in the shadow of Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch.

This did little for me, despite having actors I like in the lead roles. I felt that the film didn't successfully convey the tension of the situation too well and it would have worked better within a shorter running time, since it's slow both to get going and slow to make progress toward the conclusion. I'm reminded of why I don't usually like Disaster movies and I expect it'll be some time before I take a chance on another one. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 2:05pm

Thought this was pretty good. Cage on fine form as well. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

A distinctly Guy Ritchie film. Solid but in the shadow of Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch.

I love Rocknrolla. Probably my favorite Richie film. Those russian guys....Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 179180181182183 256>
  Share Topic