Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 177178179180181 256>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 4:30am

I read this book and The Outsiders by SE Hinton when I was at high school. I liked the book version of this better, but The Outsiders is the far better movie. To me the biggest weakness of this movie is moving it from mid-1960s Oklahoma to mid-1980s Minnesota. A lot of the things which would have outraged people 20 years earlier weren't near as big a deal in the 80s. Still, not a bad movie by any stretch. Charlie might have been the more successful of the Sheen/Estevez boys, but Emilio is a far better actor.
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 8:45am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

A bit of a mixed bag. Lots of noisy, explodey stuff, combined with a bit of Dune-lite political intrigue, and a slight touch of The Matrix. Probably a bit of an acquired taste, in that it's not a simple, straightforward story, and the multiple realities could be a bit confusing. This might explain why it isn't well regarded.

Literally one of the worst movies I've ever seen, tbh. It had a ton of problems, but one of the biggest issues for me was the acting was spectacularly awful across the board. Eddie Redmayne especially won an Oscar for another movie, apparently, but based solely on this film I'd say he's not deserving of one, because his performance in this is one of the absolute worst, most over the tip, cringe-worthy performances I've ever seen, LOL Also doesn't help that the story had many ways in which it could have been interesting, but instead decides to be super generic, and also ends up kinda feeling rushed. I honestly can't remember liking a single thing about it, lol
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 2:36am

Liking these newer Bonds a lot. Loved the opening sequence, the remote controlled car chase, and Michelle Yeoh's kick-ass Chinese agent.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 2:39am
Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

A bit of a mixed bag. Lots of noisy, explodey stuff, combined with a bit of Dune-lite political intrigue, and a slight touch of The Matrix. Probably a bit of an acquired taste, in that it's not a simple, straightforward story, and the multiple realities could be a bit confusing. This might explain why it isn't well regarded.

Literally one of the worst movies I've ever seen, tbh. It had a ton of problems, but one of the biggest issues for me was the acting was spectacularly awful across the board. Eddie Redmayne especially won an Oscar for another movie, apparently, but based solely on this film I'd say he's not deserving of one, because his performance in this is one of the absolute worst, most over the tip, cringe-worthy performances I've ever seen, LOL Also doesn't help that the story had many ways in which it could have been interesting, but instead decides to be super generic, and also ends up kinda feeling rushed. I honestly can't remember liking a single thing about it, lol

Yeah it is quite terrible and specifically aimed at a teenage audience who will swallow anything the two main actors star in.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 2:40am
I watched Limitless, From Hell, and Hansel & Gretel: Witchunters in the last couple of days. I liked Limitless...the other two were decent and entertaining, but didnĀ“t exactly make my blood boil.
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 2:45am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Yeah it is quite terrible and specifically aimed at a teenage audience who will swallow anything the two main actors star in.

I was thinking that it's hard to believe that the Wachowski's who gave us The Matrix also gave us this, but I remembered they also gave us The Matrix sequels. Wink

Speaking of which: The Matrix 4. Anyone actually interested after all these years?
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 6:29am
Originally posted by 666sharon666 666sharon666 wrote:

I was thinking that it's hard to believe that the Wachowski's who gave us The Matrix also gave us this, but I remembered they also gave us The Matrix sequels. Wink

Speaking of which: The Matrix 4. Anyone actually interested after all these years?

Not really no LOL. I liked the first Matrix movie, but it went downhill from there...
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 12:32pm

I think a lot of it would go over the average teen's head.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 2:21pm
I remember having a very specific problem with that movie.

I can't remember what it actually was now though. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 6:25pm
My missus is a commercial cleaner, so I know there's one thing they got right, which movies and TV often don't - Mila Kunis was wearing gloves while she was cleaning the toilet.LOL
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 7:46am

Good, but not top 10 of all time good like RYM seems to think. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 4:52pm

Pirate movie from the 1950s. An underused setting for movies IMO. This one was decent, but we need more modern pirate movies (which are realistic, unlike Pirates of the Caribbean). Black Sails was a good TV show, but come on Hollywood. 

Edited by adg211288 - 19 Jul 2021 at 4:52pm
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 11:08am
Resolution (2012)
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 11:14am

Okay, this is the third Wes Anderson film I've seen and the third that's been bloody brilliant. I'm going to have to pay more attention to this director. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Okay, this is the third Wes Anderson film I've seen and the third that's been bloody brilliant. I'm going to have to pay more attention to this director. 

Yeah, it's brilliant this one. Have you seen The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou? I would recommend it if you liked this.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 2:13pm

Yeah, it's brilliant this one. Have you seen The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou? I would recommend it if you liked this.

No not yet. The other two I've seen are The Grand Budapest Hotel and Isle of Dogs. I have The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou lined up on Disney+ to watch. They have quite a few Andersons on there. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 3:15pm

Also really good. Robin Williams was brilliant here. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 3:32pm

Also really good. Robin Williams was brilliant here. 

He was almost always brilliant...so sad about his mental issues and subsequent suicide. An absolutely brilliant actor...
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 8:39pm
Life Aquatic is definitely the best Wes Anderson film
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 3:03pm

Honestly seems quite bizarre after the Connery and Lazenby run. I didn't really rate it too much. The death of the main villain was bloody ridiculous too. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 177178179180181 256>
  Share Topic