Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 176177178179180 256>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 3:07pm

Further exploring Kubrick. I've gone from mixed feelings on him over the last year or so to having a great appreciation for his work. This one was really good, much more so than I anticipated. It's a three hour movie, but it really didn't feel like it. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 12:43pm
Men in Black! A nice TV movie that kept my interest alive till the end. The shadowy beings were a bit like mindless zombies, but other than that it was an OK movie. 7/10

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 4:05pm

Darkly comic, sometimes slapstick, an absolute farce and 100% hoot. 

And also:

Disney Revisited #3:

Strictly speaking, number 3 should be Fantasia, but since I've never cared for that movie or have any desire to see it again, I've gone straight onto Dumbo. 

Dumbo is considered a problematic movie today because of the crows and their racial stereotyping (though many including black people have defended the crows). One of the shorter Disney features, Dumbo hits the nostalgia factor well enough, but I never felt that it was one of the best Disney movies, though the pink elephants sequence is excellent. For some reason my memory of that part placed it in the much later The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, so I was quite surprised when it came along in this movie. 
GG2U

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 7:01am
Merlin and the Book of Beasts (2009): I love lots of low-budget films, I really do. (Midnight Chronicles from the same year was great!) But this one didn't do it for me, unfortunately. It has no standout element, be it an awesome villain, intriguing plot whatsoever. I could've even overlooked the caveman Merlin, believe me. 6/10

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 12:09pm
Night Skies (2007) - Wow man, the ending part was fantastic. I haven't watched that many alien abduction films, but this was the best I've ever seen. I wouldn't recommend this movie to the people who believe that aliens abduct humans for nasty things. It could be traumatic. 9/10

Edited by Shadowyzard - 08 Jul 2021 at 12:12pm
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

I haven't watched that many alien abduction films, but this was the best I've ever seen.  

check out Fire in the Sky (1993)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

I haven't watched that many alien abduction films, but this was the best I've ever seen.  

check out Fire in the Sky (1993)

I watched that one. This one is similar to that actually, but a lot better.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 4:28pm

Classic Bogart and Bacall noir. Harder to follow than some, but excellent. 

Another Vincent Price movie. Pretty solid with some good dark humour. 

I saw this one quite a while ago but I didn't remember much about the plot at all beyond the big reveal and a few of the characters. It's a solid dystopian sci-fi, though certain aspects haven't aged well, especially its depiction of women. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Do you have a favourite method of er... revenge? I particularly like the locusts myself.Wink The second one is also worth a look, but not quite as good. And Vincent Price did a comedy mad scientist movie called Dr Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine, which is loaded with slapstick comedy but falls a bit flat.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 1:41am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Do you have a favourite method of er... revenge? I particularly like the locusts myself.Wink The second one is also worth a look, but not quite as good. And Vincent Price did a comedy mad scientist movie called Dr Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine, which is loaded with slapstick comedy but falls a bit flat.

I think perhaps the Death of the Firstborn one. Though it's the only one that fails, that thing is like the ancestor of the Saw movies which were a big part in introducing me to horror films. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 4:38am
Decent but uneven 70s cop flick. A few big names, and a couple of big-names-in-the-making in the cast. The first third is pretty good comedy-drama, the second third falls a bit flat, and the final third is where a lot of the action is. I read the Ed McBain book many years ago (who also happens to be the screenwriter Evan Hunter), and I hate to have to say it because it's such a worn cliché, but the book was better.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 3:33am

This is supposed to be a classic, but I gotta say, I'm not terribly fussed on it. It has it's moments but it just left me a bit flat.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 10:18pm

An all-star cast before they were stars. C. Thomas Howell, Matt Dillon, Ralph Macchio, Patrick Swayze, Rob Lowe, Emilio Estevez, Tom Cruise, Diane Lane, and then throw in Leif Garrett and Tom Waits, and that's a hell of a lot of star power. Throw in Francis Ford Coppola as director, and you have one hell of a good teen gang movie. The soundtrack is also excellent, all present and correct for the mid-60s setting.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 12:52pm

Continuing partly on from last week's 1994 segment, but mostly one long flashback to the title year of 1978, this second Fear Street film was still pretty fun but it does exactly what I was concerned it would do: it's too much like the first one. 

Probably best known as an erotic thriller, which does it a disservice to its status as a neo-noir movie, which in pulls off the 1940s style really well while still feeling modern (for the time of release). By today's standards any sex and nudity featured is actually pretty tame as well. 

This is one of the most downright creepy movies I have ever seen. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 4:15pm

Closely Observed Trains (1966). Quite the little genre mash and very quirky. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 4:33pm

Just as silly as the first, but with a slightly bigger budget. The fight scene in the Tokyo fish market is one of the funniest things I have seen in a while, combining over the top violence, gratuitous nudity, unconvincing gore, and slapstick humour.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 9:44am

Very good supernatural thriller from Brian de Palma. Did slow in some places for me that prevents me from including it among his very best, but it is still perhaps a bit underrated. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 1:23am

Yes, a wartime propaganda film, but there's some amazing genuine battle footage here. So glad I've never had to fight a war.

The first Pierce Brosnan Bond film I've seen. It suits him well. This also has Sean Bean in it, so you can be pretty sure he's not getting out alive... Love the Jack Wade character too.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 1:37am

Kubrick's second film. Not very well rated by many, but I thought it was pretty solid, if somewhat standard. A massive improvement on his debut feature Fear and Desire as well. 

The Killing though, is Kubrick's first claim to have produced an actual masterpiece within its genre. The final sequence when it all goes pear shaped (which isn't really a spoiler since villains weren't permitted to get away with it in movies under the Hayes Code in Hollywood at the time) is especially spectacular. 

A bittersweet finale to the Toy Story saga. Somewhat feels unnecessary since the first three films made a great trilogy, but it was entertaining with some surprisingly dark moments (Toy Story has had those since the original, but I expected by now that they'd have been completely phased out). 

I was recommended this on here a long time ago but I've only just had opportunity to see it. It didn't disappoint. Darkly brilliant. 

Satirical sci-fi thriller from the 80s and definitely feels like a product of its time. Decent enough, but dated and with some pacing issues. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 3:42am

A bit of a mixed bag. Lots of noisy, explodey stuff, combined with a bit of Dune-lite political intrigue, and a slight touch of The Matrix. Probably a bit of an acquired taste, in that it's not a simple, straightforward story, and the multiple realities could be a bit confusing. This might explain why it isn't well regarded.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 176177178179180 256>
  Share Topic